OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow priority settings for files being uploaded

I'm currently uploading a high amount of data (I selected all the files I wanted and copied them to onedrive folder) and it's taking a lot of time. The problem is that some files are more important to me than others and I need them to be uploaded first. It would be great if I could make certain files/ folders that are being uploaded a priority so that those files with higher priority will be the first uploaded (for example, bittorent has this option when downloading files). It would take me a lot of time to cancel the upload and just copy/paste each file in the order I want them to be uploaded.

664 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Paul Ciucur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TecnoByte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive for Business have a feature: "Stop syncing one folder" by doing right click on any folder. This should be available for all OneDrive users (not only business accounts).

• TecnoByte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive for Business have a feature: Stop syncing one folder, by doing right click on any folder. This should be available for all OneDrive users (not only business accounts).

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should also be able to use the hamburger menu on files already being uploaded to pause/unpause that file's upload if it's an especially large file that's blocking other uploads for a long time.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the OneDrive client's upload list, there's a hamburger menu next to uploaded files with options like share. We should be able to use the hamburger for files waiting for upload to mark as priority so they upload before a bunch of stuff that other people aren't waiting for.

• joseph bartholomew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow thinking since 2016 exactly as a thought feedback with no one listerning.... waste of time.... its microsoft expect that

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I work in a company with 10,000+ employees and all of us are using OneDrive, some more, some less extensively. For me and a some of my peers, this feature is an absolute MUST, since our OneDrive folders are about 500 GB and we keep these folders in sync with our laptops at all time.

Working during travels is also part of the job, at various time zones, travelling around the globe and needing to sync a specific document in just a few minutes, before boarding the plane.

What I think it is important for the Microsoft team to understand is that it is not the vast majority of users from a company that influence the decisions of purchasing/extending contracts for OneDrive, which is a tool used for business communication, but the ones who coordinate the various projects in that company. And those are the ones who need such tools, people for which every minute counts and need to send something asap, but still keep everything in sync.

I am happy to share more details by private message/email, as I am unsure of the confidentiality clauses between our companies.

Kind regards,
        Dan

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would have been helpful for me as well because I'm switching/trasnferring the contents of my drive from Gsuite and I have a LOT of stuff to upload. Then during the day to day activity someone needs me to upload ONE THING. Well, I can't do that, so I have to cancel what I had uploading in order for that one thing to go on onedrive first. It would also be nice if they had a PAUSE button with this where you could pause your massive amount you have uploading to drop one new item of importance.

I have been using one drive to sync files across multiple devices which I am using, or rather attempting to use, in real-time.
        I use both a company laptop, & a personal surface book simultaneously across the "guest" network, and the work laptop on the secure network so I am able to use my personal owned non-company approved programs, and macro's / scripts, and also save & access files between work server & personal computer.
        the main frustration is that this sync takes ages to detect a change, or that I've copied or saved a new version of a file, so I have to wait & wait before I can open it on the other computer.
        Frankly, it is quicker to use a thumb drive, as tedious as that may be.
        I have basically "active" or "frequent" folders open on both PC's at the same time with the intention of treating this a bit like a clip-board between pc's, but I have to wait & wait for the "clip-board" to syncronize. A simple right-click & sync option would probably solve 90% of the annoyance factor.
        I used to use a combination of drop-box & MS "brief case", to keep synchronised copies of documents accessible to several permitted computers / users. But as brief case is no longer an option, and one-drive can't be forced to Synchronise specific "active" folders, this is much less efficient & also more error prone (if working on a document on two PC's at once for example, or if there is a drop in network service, and Onedrive / office decides there is a conflict in open files).
        It would also be ideal if one drive could be set to update over LAN connections first, and then synchronise to the onedrive cloud.
        The guest and work laptop are on the same network, so shouldn't need to upload to a remote server, and then re-download from the remote server to update two computers on the LAN. The same is the case when working with two PC's on the guest network, or on my home network.

being able to set an intermittent timed update (or backup) to the cloud would be better for my purpose.
        I also use one drive so I can quickly access & view documents on my phone, for example so I don't need to print off a copy to take with me out into the workshop, or out of the office to inspect or check a delivery for example, again the lag means I can't just copy something to my one drive & work out of the office an expect it to appear on my phone at some reasonable time frame.
        This is made worse now that I have recently tried to backup 50Gig worth of non-urgent data to onedrive, which is now making use of onedrive as a sync between devices impossible. Because I can't set priority of folders to allow a "slow" backup of non-urgent data to onedrive, the priority / active files take even longer to sync as onedrive decides where they sit in the cue.
        Furthermore, this pretty much locks down the internet 100% doing the file backup upload, unless I restrict all upload / download rates making the above use even worse still.

• Elie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive folder on the local machine should only sync or update the file that has been edited and not the whole OneDrive folder. I agree with all the comments here

• wpkf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setting priority won't be too complicated for 90% of users. for those 10% feeling complicated, they won't need priority anyway.

• Manabu Tokunaga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a developer standpoint, I would say that don't force users any complicated steps to do this. Just work on the most recent file opened basis then move up to the containing folder. Run a separate lower priority thread to sync the rest. Then 90% of the users will feel as if OneDrive is always in sync. That's how we deal with radiology images archived and pre-fetched. Always, synch the scheduled patients for today.

**** even Dropbox is capable of Prioritizing :/ And here, Billion dollar company can't figure it out?? Come on guys...

• Stephen Weatherford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, frequently it's the *most* recent file you need immediately and you know exactly where it's located. Instead you have to wait forever for OneDrive to determine what's changed, then wait forever for the least frequently changed files to update.

PLEASE do this! would be so useful to be able to prioritise time sensitive files.

• Hugh Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to prioritise the order folders are synced in would be really useful. I want my docs to update first then the GBs of photos to sync later. The way things are I'd probably be better off moving either my docs or images to a competitor's service.

It would be great if your could do this or just make the "sync button" clickable at some point so that we may choose which file is a priority to b synced.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base