OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow priority settings for files being uploaded

I'm currently uploading a high amount of data (I selected all the files I wanted and copied them to onedrive folder) and it's taking a lot of time. The problem is that some files are more important to me than others and I need them to be uploaded first. It would be great if I could make certain files/ folders that are being uploaded a priority so that those files with higher priority will be the first uploaded (for example, bittorent has this option when downloading files). It would take me a lot of time to cancel the upload and just copy/paste each file in the order I want them to be uploaded.

943 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Paul Ciucur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cory Macdonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another important reason for this - this month I've only got very limited data (20GB) available, and don't want to be syncing all my files. I just want to sync the ones I need to do for my work, then pause syncing until I have more data available. I'm sure this happens more often for people who work abroad, too.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive long sync was stuck on 1 thumbs file..rest of the 20000 files didn't continue. Real stressful situation for an shoulder be overnight migration...priority sync needs to be scheduled soon.

• IT aanspreekpunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be implemented. How long will this stay on thinking about it? it takes very long to sync small libraries with a lot of small files. Onedrive keeps processing until all smaller files are done. So users cant contineu working on priority files someone else needs...

• Hal Scholz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was struggling with this as well, but just found that I could open the web version and drag/drop the files I really needed and they went immediately to the server.

• Switching back to Dropbox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty sure Jason quit under the immense pressure of implementing this basic feature that ANY sort of sync software should have. Microsoft, it is well overdue to ditch SP and purchase a company that actually has some experience in this field.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG. OneDrive is completely worthless. At the current rate of requiring everything to upload without ability to select which files to upload, it will take 15 months, 3 weeks, and 5 days of bringing my DSL Internet connection to a complete standstill to sync 600GB. That assumes I don't add any new files in the next year, which of course would a reasonable assumption given how my computer would be as responsive as a 38-year old Commodore 64. I'm turning this feature off until Microsoft actually puts a development team back on this product.

MIcrosoft, please implement this 5 year old request before we all retire. Even a simple right-click upload now would be great. Thanks

• Levi Collinsworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature literally requires one piece of logic in the code that would look a little like (and I don't have it 100% accurate, because I simplified it and I don't know what they named their methods and variables or how they structured the source code)

if( User.OnClick(SyncPriority))
    {
    Menu.Display(1,2);
    if( User.OnClick(1))
    {
    File1.PrioritySync(1);
    File2.PrioritySync(2);
    }
    if( User.OnClick(2))
    {
    File1.PrioritySync(2);
    File2.PrioritySync(1);
    }
    else
    {
    }
    }
    else
    {
    }

This feature is absolutely necessary for students, programmers, office workers, etc.

Stop just "thinking about it". I've got a class in which I have to make a game in Unity, and OneDrive is just stuck syncing literally everything else first.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not invoking hyperbole when using the term "literally".

Jason Moore, Are you done "thinking about it"? Or do you still need a couple more YEARS???????

• passerby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

今日は9012-01-21、この問題はまだ解決出来ない

A huge ditto on this one!!! I need to keep my computer locked down and off at nights or times when I'm not in office (HIPAA regs), so some of the most important files don't get updated. Hugely inconvenient.

• steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of pain and suffering in my house. Same situation as most of the comments already here. Office 365 comes with 1 TB storage, but because of lack of priority and constant sync issues it is fully unusable. I've been waiting hours for a resync of 124GB of data- of which only 2 folders have changed.

I guess the strategy should be to get a thumbdrive and download from my "source" computer and copy onto my "target" so I can perform an operation that should take 90 seconds?

Man o man.

• TecnoByte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive for Business have a feature: "Stop syncing one folder" by doing right click on any folder. This should be available for all OneDrive users (not only business accounts).

• TecnoByte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive for Business have a feature: Stop syncing one folder, by doing right click on any folder. This should be available for all OneDrive users (not only business accounts).

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should also be able to use the hamburger menu on files already being uploaded to pause/unpause that file's upload if it's an especially large file that's blocking other uploads for a long time.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the OneDrive client's upload list, there's a hamburger menu next to uploaded files with options like share. We should be able to use the hamburger for files waiting for upload to mark as priority so they upload before a bunch of stuff that other people aren't waiting for.

• joseph bartholomew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow thinking since 2016 exactly as a thought feedback with no one listerning.... waste of time.... its microsoft expect that

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base