OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Prevent sleep until sync is done option

It would be nice to have an option to have OneDrive app prevent the computer to go to sleep until sync is done.

Typical situation is when you just added a large flie/folder to your computer and it will take time to upload. The computer is likely to go to sleep before sync is finished, and in consequence files are not online as fast as you might want. (and/or you can't just let your computer upload at night when bandwidth is not needed)

It would be nice to add an option to have OneDrive preventing computer to go to sleep until sync is fully done.

342 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
NicoSavides shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! My computer has been churning for weeks to get synchronized. And of course it only churns when I wake up the computer, so it slows the computer down while I want to work on it. Why can't it synchronize when I don't want to use the computer????

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cant sync overnight. computer slow as a dog during major sync operations. not good

• Garrett Broadnax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for Mac please. Just tried to sync 10GB overnight and woke up to 2. I can invoke staying awake manually for these events, but it's just another thing I shouldn't have to keep track of.

• kylie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, or be able to schedule syncing in the background overnight while the computer is asleep. Or just not take sooo long to sync

• Ting-Yu Chiu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just created a new Power Plan and named it OneDrive. Then I changed the settings for the OneDrive power plan to never fall asleep. After uploading (or downloading), all I had to do was switch back to the default power plan.

• Onedrive User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two years and you guys still haven't prioritized this feature? This one makes me suffer when I need to download 500Gigs of data to a device...

Look up the program "caffeine", it simulates a key stroke every minute and stops computers going to sleep. I've used it for years esp because my work has a forced screen lock after a short delay.

OneDrive still needs an option that allows monitors to power down but keep the system from sleeping.

settings/display/on AC power sleep = never

If you're concerned about the display burning, dim it

BTW, even on screen saver my onedrive continues upload - maybe it's been updated as this is an old thread>?

• Graham Tunnadine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep we need this. Especially for overnight updates.
    I organised my Onedrive folder and deleted about 3gb data. Because it keeps sleeping after 45 minutes, it has only updated 630mb of 4.1GB in 4 days. (Yawn) And of course, if it updates while I am working, it brings the internet to a virtual standstill.

• Luke Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should also include 'sync during log off' to make sure that the users OneDrive is fully synced before logoff.

• Nick Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need a warning when requesting the computer or iOS device to sleep or shut down if sync is not complete. Then we can choose to wait for sync to complete or not.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs this feature desperately. Quick work around is leave Spotify playing whilst muted, the mac wont sleep then.

I agree. I dont think you should have to babysit your computer to ensure your files get uploaded. Why it pauses the upload is beyond me. They havent programmed ovens to shut off when you walk away, why would you program an upload to pause if you decide to go out for the day while you try and upload 800 pics. Bag programming

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I want to only temporary prevent the sleep of the computer. E.g. during a big download.
    I use the starmessage screensaver ( http://starmessagesoftware.com/moonscreensaver/ ) that has an option to prevent the sleep for the next 2 or 8 hours or permanently.
    I use 2 or 8 hours, so that I do not need to revisit the window's settings to change it back.
    This is the benefit for doing this via the sceensaver. You only set it once and you do not need to revert it afterwards.
    By the way the screensaver has both a windows and mac version, so you can prevent the sleep on either platform.

I don't think this is a good idea. No application should be able to control your computers power options. You should change this option yourself if you don't want your computer to go to sleep.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base