OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow external OneDrive for Business users to sync folders

My users frequently want to share folders with external users (customers or partners) and are frustrated to find that these users can't sync the shared folders to their own filesystem. This functionality is widely used in competing solutions, and the limitation is significant enough to keep my users from leveraging OneDrive.

729 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clinton Campbell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Josef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Douglas,
        are vou still receiving Messages on this Topic (syncing one drive for exeternal users)?
        Please let me know About the current Status,
        thx,
        Josef

can't belive, that this discussion is running for more than 3 years. Does anybody from MS read this, and somehow react? This ould be nice. May be at least, MS could explain any reason for not adding this feature. I simply do not understand what the Problem ist behind.

I am fully with this request and all comments. I want to make business with my Partners. It is NOT my Job to change their behaviour how to use MS applications. It's ennoying enough for many to Register, get an MS account, or user their own private one for business reasons. Iam happy if IT allows them to install the sync Client. And than, it's hard to believe, that MS does not allow them to sync. Please add this feature as soon as possible.

• Thomas Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this external collaboration feature going to work. I need to share and sync a folder with and external user. Do not want to go back to Dropbox

• MRicher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently using OneDrive because our partners are sharing file with us and I find it strange (to put it lightly) that this function isn't working at all, especially that it seems to be working, although with bugs, when using an older version of the software as if this functionality was removed semi-recently.

• David Gorman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with all comments. OneDrive isn't fit for external colloboration and we moved to Google for this.

• Karray.a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's an important option, personally if in a short time there will not be a change, and adding this option I will migrate to gmail and DropBox.

So Microsoft, please find a solution in the shortest time of this problem

• Fennix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading all other 59 comments, this feature es very important for all users. This is a characteristic essential for any organization. Please Microsoft fix issue quickly. Thanks.

• Claudio Salazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is unfortunate to hire a service as a collaborative tool and not have this functionality that helps a lot to work with customers, suppliers, business partners.

It is important to have an update that does this.

Thank you

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This lack of standard functionality is shocking and will very likely lead us to transition to other programs if not resolved soon.

Wow. I please my partners to suscribe to office 365 and I discover today they can't sync...
        I'm so disapointed

Please add this feature. We need this so our contractors can easily sync files to our shared onedrive\sharepoint storage.

• James Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As other people have mentioned, this is a no-brainer (particularly as the permissions, etc., are all already in place). Hopefully you don't need to "think about it" much longer...

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am throwing in the towel on using Teams or Sharepoint until Microsoft makes it possible to sync files in a Group site setup in Sharepoint with external users. So much wasted potential to collaborate with others. Is there anyway around this in Powershell or elsewhere?

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why this hasn't been implemented already. This is not a new concept and surely Microsoft has the means to do it.

• Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have waited a long time for this, but it's not even made it to the roadmap. There's also another post here with even more votes: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/18441352-enable-syncing-of-files-across-o365-organizations
        If you wait too long with this you are forcing customers like us to jump ship and pay for a competing product, and once that happens - how are you planning to get those customers back? In our case, the project of evaluating alternatives has started. If the external sync doesn't get more attention soon then I'm going to have an impossible job convincing employees to stay with OneDrive for Business.

• David Gorman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this. We were hoping to migrate users to OneDrive but they need better syncing with external people.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base