OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow external OneDrive for Business users to sync folders

My users frequently want to share folders with external users (customers or partners) and are frustrated to find that these users can't sync the shared folders to their own filesystem. This functionality is widely used in competing solutions, and the limitation is significant enough to keep my users from leveraging OneDrive.

911 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Clinton Campbell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

79 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So Microsoft have the some of the best designers and developers in the world working for them, yet they inflict arbitrary limits on what paid users can do.
    - Don't have very large files
    - Don't have too many files
    - Don't try and sync more than 300k files to a PC
    - Don't share your files with other people in a useful way.
    - Don't expect useful error messages
    - Don't expect sync to run until it's finished, re-start & re-install a few times.
    - Don't expect to be able to find settings in the admin centre, you only have 4 different pages of settings to pick from.

No wonder DropBox is doing so well, OneDrive is a joke by comparison.

PLEASE sort this program out!

• C Colley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to move our 500GB of DropBox files to Sharepoint but can't because out resellers wouldn't be able to sync files...

• Viktor Vallin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature (and block sync for ALL file types) is the only reason we still have to use DropBox. No update since 2017??

• Josef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Douglas,
    are vou still receiving Messages on this Topic (syncing one drive for exeternal users)?
    Please let me know About the current Status,
    thx,
    Josef

can't belive, that this discussion is running for more than 3 years. Does anybody from MS read this, and somehow react? This ould be nice. May be at least, MS could explain any reason for not adding this feature. I simply do not understand what the Problem ist behind.

I am fully with this request and all comments. I want to make business with my Partners. It is NOT my Job to change their behaviour how to use MS applications. It's ennoying enough for many to Register, get an MS account, or user their own private one for business reasons. Iam happy if IT allows them to install the sync Client. And than, it's hard to believe, that MS does not allow them to sync. Please add this feature as soon as possible.

• Thomas Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this external collaboration feature going to work. I need to share and sync a folder with and external user. Do not want to go back to Dropbox

• MRicher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently using OneDrive because our partners are sharing file with us and I find it strange (to put it lightly) that this function isn't working at all, especially that it seems to be working, although with bugs, when using an older version of the software as if this functionality was removed semi-recently.

• David Gorman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with all comments. OneDrive isn't fit for external colloboration and we moved to Google for this.

• Karray.a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's an important option, personally if in a short time there will not be a change, and adding this option I will migrate to gmail and DropBox.

So Microsoft, please find a solution in the shortest time of this problem

• Fennix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading all other 59 comments, this feature es very important for all users. This is a characteristic essential for any organization. Please Microsoft fix issue quickly. Thanks.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base