OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow OneDrive for Business folder to be renamed

The main OneDrive for Business folder cannot be renamed, apparently because the path for syncing would break.

This is limiting and becomes very confusing for employees when sharing files with colleagues, as SharePoint creates folders with the same name in the computers. People don't remember which is theirs and which is shared.

778 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Carlos Kassner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andy Silcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, we need the SharePoint folder to actually say SharePoint, not the name of the company!

• Keith Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Company name is extremely long that take up 75 characters. Adding the root path for user folder, I have lost more than 100 characters for the 260 or whatever characters limitation in windows! I cannot sync many files with just more than 160 characters long. What an annoying FEATURE of One Drive Business.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of my programming software can't take white space in the path. Please allow renaming root folder (OneDrive for Business version) which will be extremely appreciated.

• Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am head of IT in my current company. It seem all department employees get confused with OneDrive and ShareDrive. I believe it will help if OneDrive renaming gets unable then we can rename it as personal drive or local drive. This will help alot

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have legacy software that does not run under folders with space or non-English characters in their names, and this unnecessary limitation of onedrive business is causing my software to fail. Please enable renaming of the root folder.

• lansi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

onedrive display the old company name in windows explorer after office 365 changed oranazition name. can onedrive auto change its display name?

• wf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And the cmd tab is NOT friendly with a folder space!
    Why should you leave a space there? Extremely annoyance.

PLEASE LET IS RENAME OVERDRIVE FOLDERS!
    THIS IS CRITICAL IN OUR ENVIROMENT

OneDrive kept crashing so I reinstalled it. Now the folder name changed and it tries to sync everything to another folder. Very poor design.

The fact that this was in 2015 and we still don't have a solution is mind boggling!!!! Microsoft, get somebody to fix this!!! Embarassing

I am now looking for another solution other than Microsoft - JUST BECAUSE OF THIS HUGE LIMITATION. What a stupid decision for too many reasons to list here.
    Microsoft, PLEASE hire developers who actually USE YOUR PRODUCTS!!!

• Anne C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I could use all 10 of my OneDrive user voice votes on this issue I would. The path for our one drive folders is 68 characters long. This is causing issues as we work on silently moving known folders to OneDrive.

• Prof. Fabio Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 2 biggest issues here are:

1. Names get really long depending on username on windows desktop and company name, drastically reducing the 255 total full path name limit.
    Ex.: "c:\users\firstname.middle.lastname\OneDrive - My Full Company Name", generating more than 65 letters!

2. The name always comes with spaces on it.

Please allow this setting on windows!

• Alexandre Machado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem also reaches the size of the file name that is still limited to 255 characters, depending on the name of the company the use of the OneDrive is impractical

...unbelievable onedrive cannot be renamed. So confusing for employees to have 2 drives almost named the same with the company name but one is very personal. Please provide a better solution!

• LTD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

September 13th, this is still an issue!

Some clients we've resorted to using third party apps such as expandrive to map the sharepoint site similar to a mapped network drive. It's ridiculous onedrive doesn't have this basic functionality!

• Myles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In reply to Anonymous post on July 12 2018 22:22. Considering mapping OneDrive for Business to a network drive instead. You can then map to the root drive letter which should help alleviate the path too long issues.

To map a network drive you could try Zee Drive http://www.thinkscape.com/Map-Network-Drives-To-Office-365-OneDrive/

Disclosure: I work for the company that develops Zee Drive

Hitting 400 character path limits in OneDrive Office365 with almost no effort whatsoever due to base folder path being stupidly named.

c:\users\useraccountname\onedrive - my reasonably sized companyname\

How is this JOKE not fixed 3 - 4 years later

PLEASE change this ASAP. It's absolutely ridiculous that there would be some software out there, one which we have to interact with every single day, that has a semi-hard coded name folder name instead of a proper variable.
    Our company name, plus the whole "OneDrive - " shenanigans is a ***** to type when using scripting/command line tasks/WSL.
    C'mon.. this is not rocket science ;-)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base