OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow OneDrive for Business folder to be renamed

The main OneDrive for Business folder cannot be renamed, apparently because the path for syncing would break.

This is limiting and becomes very confusing for employees when sharing files with colleagues, as SharePoint creates folders with the same name in the computers. People don't remember which is theirs and which is shared.

550 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Carlos Kassner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am now looking for another solution other than Microsoft - JUST BECAUSE OF THIS HUGE LIMITATION. What a stupid decision for too many reasons to list here.
        Microsoft, PLEASE hire developers who actually USE YOUR PRODUCTS!!!

• Anne C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I could use all 10 of my OneDrive user voice votes on this issue I would. The path for our one drive folders is 68 characters long. This is causing issues as we work on silently moving known folders to OneDrive.

• Prof. Fabio Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 2 biggest issues here are:

1. Names get really long depending on username on windows desktop and company name, drastically reducing the 255 total full path name limit.
        Ex.: "c:\users\firstname.middle.lastname\OneDrive - My Full Company Name", generating more than 65 letters!

2. The name always comes with spaces on it.

Please allow this setting on windows!

• Alexandre Machado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem also reaches the size of the file name that is still limited to 255 characters, depending on the name of the company the use of the OneDrive is impractical

...unbelievable onedrive cannot be renamed. So confusing for employees to have 2 drives almost named the same with the company name but one is very personal. Please provide a better solution!

• LTD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

September 13th, this is still an issue!

Some clients we've resorted to using third party apps such as expandrive to map the sharepoint site similar to a mapped network drive. It's ridiculous onedrive doesn't have this basic functionality!

• Myles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In reply to Anonymous post on July 12 2018 22:22. Considering mapping OneDrive for Business to a network drive instead. You can then map to the root drive letter which should help alleviate the path too long issues.

To map a network drive you could try Zee Drive http://www.thinkscape.com/Map-Network-Drives-To-Office-365-OneDrive/

Disclosure: I work for the company that develops Zee Drive

Hitting 400 character path limits in OneDrive Office365 with almost no effort whatsoever due to base folder path being stupidly named.

c:\users\useraccountname\onedrive - my reasonably sized companyname\

How is this JOKE not fixed 3 - 4 years later

PLEASE change this ASAP. It's absolutely ridiculous that there would be some software out there, one which we have to interact with every single day, that has a semi-hard coded name folder name instead of a proper variable.
        Our company name, plus the whole "OneDrive - " shenanigans is a ***** to type when using scripting/command line tasks/WSL.
        C'mon.. this is not rocket science ;-)

• Jordi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a must! Windows File explorer doesn't allow 255 characters path and we spent 35 characters i this unavoidable folder!!! We will have huge problems soon

• pkMyt1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with most here. The space in the business accounts (OneDrive - My Company) means I cannot use it with VBox Linux. That makes my business account an over glorified backup that is not useful.

• David Foster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Software that I rely on at work demands file paths with no spaces. The inflexibility of your naming convention means I cannot use OneDrive and must stick with Dropbox until you catch up with the competition. Too bad, I was looking to break from Dropbox...

• DLievense commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a standard feature with your competitors (Google Drive & Dropbox). It's needed for a large variety of reasons. Please prioritize!

The root "onedrive for business - <company name>" folder name is too long!
        Is this still a problem as I cannot find the answer to solve the issue?

Thank you very much.

• Harshvardhan Chawla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The root "onedrive for business - <company name>" folder name is too long and then sometimes I get sync errors because of "Filename would be too long" !! Well duh, you started it with the root folder Mr Onedrive :/

The long company name causes my sync folders to be more than 260 character. The Windows 10 path limit is the real problem in converting to OD4B. We have 100 users. If the name is shortened, I will most likely need to visit every PC to change the sync folder. :(

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base