Allow OneDrive for Business folder to be renamed
The main OneDrive for Business folder cannot be renamed, apparently because the path for syncing would break.
This is limiting and becomes very confusing for employees when sharing files with colleagues, as SharePoint creates folders with the same name in the computers. People don't remember which is theirs and which is shared.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Marcelo Espinoza commented
the name es too long and produces error in names of archives. It is very neccesary to have the option to change the name of the sincronization folder of one drive for bussines
1) Our user has more than one OneDrive account and due to that it would be good if either we can rename top-level Onedrive folder in File Explorer or Microsoft make changes to display the naming to end with either user's email address or display name. Eg. OneDrive - [user display name or email address]
2) Please also do something to help with naming of OneDrive folder shared to us from other user too. After a while with so many shared folders from different user, we are not able to tell which are our folder and which and who shared folder to us.
Hi Microsoft, please help us.
This. I have to horizontally scroll to read my compiler's error messages because I store my code in your cloud.
Anthony S. commented
I spent have my support calls with my coworkers trying to determine if they mean OneDrive the desktop app, OneDrive their personal files, or Sharepoint which they also call OneDrive. Most of my coworkers have no clue what cloud storage or OneDrive is but even our fairly intelligent CAD engineers can't seem to get this straight.
I have multiple OneDrive accounts for work to suit different roles and they all automatically get the same name - “OneDrive – Corp name” It would be really nice to be able to rename them to help tell them apart without opening each of them to see the contents.
Sven Kühn commented
Joe S. commented
did Microsoft need 5 years for this? Realy?
We manage a group with multiple Companys in one Tenant. So we need the Companys name and not the Name of the group to set in OnDrive.
Nathan Koflanovich commented
I develop software using many PC's in many locations, and I used to use Owncloud for all files on active projects. We just switched to OneDrive. Now the folder name is so long I can not keep many of my projects here due to overall path length restrictions, and I can not build software with certain tools because the spaces in my company's name break the toolchains. OneDrive is so close to being a good product, but because the name of the folder can't be changed, it's totally worthless for me and has destroyed my workflow when working across several PC's / offices.
Also, because the company name is too long we cannot save some files inside due to the long path issue :(
David Tree commented
Have you not fixed this yet, wow, this is very frustrating for anyone working at a university of XXXXXXXXXX i need longer paths without spaces now please
John Stell commented
I thought microsoft would be no use. At first I thought I was wrong and OneDrive seemed useful. Not being able to rename the directory to one without spaces is just the kind of problem I feared in the first place. I now cannot use certain software without moving files around to avoid this. If I had a choice I would not be using this poor quality product.
David Foster commented
This is a severe restriction for those using specific programs that prohibit spaces in path names. I use GIS software specifically that cannot have spaces in path names, so to use OneDrive to backup these files, I have to move them out of OD, work with them, then put them back when done working. This defeats the whole purpose of OneDrive's live backup capability.
I was surprised to see this rather obvious issue still unsolved since 5 years?
Apart from long company names that result in ridiculous long folder names, there is an issue with unclear private/business folders. In dropbox you see 2 folders: Dropbox (Personal) and Dropbox (Business Name) which is much easier.
It almost seems as if Microsoft don't want too many business users to use Onedrive to save costs ?
It sucks when I sync several subfolders with the same folder-name but from different projects/Sharepoints - and I cannot give a unique local name to the sync point.
what do you do when you need to sync several accounts? all are named the same but an extra name "alias" is added
The inability to locally rename the OneDrive for Business folder is frustrating and comes across as arbitrary. Please listen to your customers, and fix this incredible oversight.
Denver Nova commented
As an FYI, here's the best method I've found for shortening the OneDrive folder name.
1. Install OneDrive
2. Close down OneDrive.
3. Open the registry editor by typing "RegEdit" into your Windows search bar and selecting it from the search results.
4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts\Business1 and change the "UserFolder" value data to whatever directory and folder name you'd like.
5. Go to C:\Users\<YOUR USER FOLDER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Settings\Business1 and open up the .ini file that has a bunch of random numbers, letters, and dashes in its name.
6. On the libraryScope line find where it shows the original OneDrive folder path in quotations and change it to match the new desired path.
7. Save the file.
8. Create the new folder yourself in the new directory and copy over the contents of your old OneDrive folder to it.
9. Fire up OneDrive and it should start using the new folder from here on.
10. You may need to choose which folders to sync again after doing this. I caught it trying to resync everything on one of my PCs even though I had set it up to only sync a few folders.
Bram van den heuvel commented
It's weird to be unable to rename the onedrive folders when you have multiple drives connected from the same company. I have 3x the exact same name shown! :-S
Fix this guys!
Peter Connolly commented
I don't get any choice but to use OneDrive. But not being able to change the alias in the MacOS Finder is incredibly annoying - why has this not been fixed yet?
Our company name is 38 characters. We just recently moved employees off our file server and onto sharepoint and we have a lot of people running into file path length issues in File Explorer. Would be great if we could change our OneDrive to a short acronym without impacting the org name across all of Office 365 and billing, etc.