OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Choose "Sort By" default in OneDrive

Being able to change the default option for sorting folders by name, date, etc. yourself. Currently I have to go to each folder and choose how I want to sort the contents but would like to set a default (for example name ascending) and it will always show files within each folder in the same way

496 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RohanRonQM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic. Please fix this. It's honestly annoying and time consuming enough to make me consider switching cloud services

WHAT IS THE LATEST ON THIS? PLEASE FIX THIS. IT TAKES HOURS OUT OF MY LIFE EVERY MONTH.

This is a remarkable pain **********, and should be a very simple fix. Why on earth is setting the default sort order STILL not available? Perhaps you should strike a committee, have some focus groups, send a lot of interoffice memos... oh wait, you've already done that! Obviously you should just take the bull by the horns and FIX IT.

OMG!!! WHY IS THIS STILL A THING? IT'S TWO YEARS LATER AND YOU CAN'T DO A SIMPLE THING LIKE THAT??????????????

WFT??????????????? so friggin tiresome and exhausting. Stop thinking about it and just do it. It is really a no brainer in addition to all the other extremely irritating things I am finding as I dig into ths.

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rahul Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Team,

We really need this feature to be enabled to stick the "Change default sort views" on Onedrive for business - Online. Since everyone from our firm asking for this feature to be enabled ASAP.

I am looking forward to your prompt response.

It would be great if you make it possible for us to set document and folder arrangement default on "newest to oldest".
        Now we have to arrange the documents more than 50 times a day manually to "newest to oldest" after that we want to move a document to a just create a new folder somewhere on Onedrive. For that we have to scroll down more than 5000 rows to find our new folder on the bottom of the list....we have to scroll down more than 5000 rows more than 50 times a day....!!
        Our proces would be much more efficient if 365 makes it possible to arrange documents and folders default on "newest to oldest" instead of "oldest to newest" or a random arrangement.

We would be very happy if this feature is available!

• Jennifer Flint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have this option too. Even when I manually set each folder’s sort order, they don’t seem to stay that way. It’s very frustrating when trying to move files around.

• Marc Zimmermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This missing feature alone has caused me to kick the OneDrive app off my phone and use a third party file manager app with OneDrive access instead.

And while you're at it, make the option for selecting list/icon view a global setting, too.

• L. Capps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an important feature to have, why on earth it would have been nixed in the Business version is completely beyond me.

Someone needs to put it back in. PLEASE!!!

• Joe Politi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature exists on the consumer Onedrive.live.com but NOT in OneDrive for Business. Please update OneDrive For Business with the ability to Save a Sort Order.

• RJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature already exists, though I don't know how long it's been there. On the OneDrive website, just go to Sort and select the option you want for the current folder, then go back to Sort and click "Save sort order". Now the sort order will be preserved for that folder! This option is apparently not in the mobile apps, but when you set it on the website it persists across devices as well.

• Ethan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's quite incredible that this isn't already a feature...Google Drive/Dropbox have had it for years now.

• asfdf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous that this still hasn't been added, such an essentail and easy to add feature. No wonder Microsoft is losing it's marketshare to Google and Apple.

Can we expect anything at all from Microsoft when they're unwilling to pay the least bit of attention to consumer needs as simple as setting a Default sort?

Unbelievable!

I can't believe it is still not available. I am using the iOS app, and I constantly face the issue described by Dave above. A simple "Sort by name by default", is it too much to ask? It makes the whole OneDrive system so unusable that I will leave it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base