OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Choose "Sort By" default in OneDrive

Being able to change the default option for sorting folders by name, date, etc. yourself. Currently I have to go to each folder and choose how I want to sort the contents but would like to set a default (for example name ascending) and it will always show files within each folder in the same way

578 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
RohanRonQM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had this come up from users in my organization. Please add this feature!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This solution is for the Onedrive web version and not the Onedrive app. With Onedrive on the web open and showing your list of folders, subfolders, or files, click on the "details" button on the upper far right side. The details button is a circle with a line in the middle. The detail pane opens on the right side of the screen. Go down to "Folder Type" and click on "change" and select the "documents" option. The contents of the folder will now permanently display the folder contents in alphabetical order. By selecting the "Photo" option, the contents will display in date order. Unfortunately, you have to do this for every folder in Onedrive that you want the default to display folder contents in alphabetical order. Once you make the change, it will stay that way until you change it.

Microsoft has decided to become Apple -"We think better than you so we'll do your thinking for you." Unfortunately they're NOT very good at thinking. Don't even try to use their own product I suppose? If you won't let us choose our default sort order at least use what the rest of the world uses as default - by NAME. Just as brilliant as being able to exclude ip addresses from dhcp but no place to say what the device actually is. Thanks Microsoft - you look ignorant once again!

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's crazy that you sort all photos in order on website and when you access on phone or tablet they are not in same order.
    You would imagine this would be an easy fix.

They still haven't fixed it. Unbelievable. It's as if the people who make it don't use it.

It's Jan 2019. A full 3.5 years later. And I too am wondering how this still has not been implemented. It wouldn't be so bad if the order was set to put the newest at the top, but at the bottom, it's like no one there actually uses the system. My paltry 100 folders is more than enough to drive a person mad trying to "fix" the sorting in the manner that has been suggested. This is perhaps one of the most basic functions of a file system... of which your organization had their hand in originally developing... which is what makes this so absurd. Pardon my hot under the collar wording, but truly, this is just baffling. Please please please implement an actual solution.

• Umair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on please add this option, otherwise it is very annoying to change for each folder all the time. It been 2 years and have you had more thought about it? Either do it or tell us otherwise sonwe can move on.
    Thanks

Yes, would be very useful for this option to persist your choice, it's useful to have the option to sort by "Shared by" in the hundreds of docs shared with me so it particularly bloody annoying to have to change it back every time I navigate to that page....

• Jeff Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised this doesn't exist. I add files to one folder every day with an application that chooses a file name for me. To rename them I have to sort the parent folder by name to find the destination folder (which takes two clicks), then when in that folder I have to sort it by date so I can find the most recent added. I do that several times a day. For this use I can bookmark the folder once it is sorted, but that's a workaround. Each sort takes two clicks also which is unnecessary. Further, changing the name is considered a modification and there is no way to sort (or view!) creation date, so renaming messes up the view if you want to see created order.

This is basic. Please fix this. It's honestly annoying and time consuming enough to make me consider switching cloud services

WHAT IS THE LATEST ON THIS? PLEASE FIX THIS. IT TAKES HOURS OUT OF MY LIFE EVERY MONTH.

This is a remarkable pain **********, and should be a very simple fix. Why on earth is setting the default sort order STILL not available? Perhaps you should strike a committee, have some focus groups, send a lot of interoffice memos... oh wait, you've already done that! Obviously you should just take the bull by the horns and FIX IT.

OMG!!! WHY IS THIS STILL A THING? IT'S TWO YEARS LATER AND YOU CAN'T DO A SIMPLE THING LIKE THAT??????????????

WFT??????????????? so friggin tiresome and exhausting. Stop thinking about it and just do it. It is really a no brainer in addition to all the other extremely irritating things I am finding as I dig into ths.

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rahul Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Team,

We really need this feature to be enabled to stick the "Change default sort views" on Onedrive for business - Online. Since everyone from our firm asking for this feature to be enabled ASAP.

I am looking forward to your prompt response.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base