OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive experience on Windows?

Allow shared folders to be synced to local drive even if no editor permissions

Allow shared folders to be synced to local drive even if no editor permissions

Usecase: Use "share a folder" to actually deploy something on a users machine (for working offline) but prevent them changing and therefor possibly damaging the stuff you shared with them. For this we currently use Dropbox but would rather use the builtin OneDrive which would be easier to maintain in the long run as less extra software

1,146 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jason & team: this is more a proposed "solution" framing a "need" but it would be great to have ACLs that indicate "Allow sync to client" and "Allow sync from client". There are scenarios where:

1a) I want users to have a local copy of resources (think: emergency procedures) (in which case I would assign the "SYNC TO CLIENT ACE")
        1b) I want users to have access to resources (think: sensitive documents being used in a meeting) when online but NOT to be able to sync them (in which case I would not assign the permission)

2) I want users to be able to sync locally but I don't want them to be able to make changes when offline (think: when working with Checkout enforced) or I don't want their 'deletes' to sync back to the server (in which case I would not assign them the "SYNC FROM CLIENT" ACE)

In short, ability to sync offline; and to propagate offline changes back to service should be two separate permissions each separate from content access permissions (Read, Edit, Delete)

• Tom Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am shocked the MS OneDrive does not have this functionality when all competitors do...back to DropBox I guess - 48 GB Free when you sync to you Samsung Device!

• Ralf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My scenario for this feature is sharing the family's photo history to all family members (wife) because they will use OneDrive's album feature, order photo books, ... But they should not have write access to prevent pictures to be accidentally altered / deleted / moved.

Copy to will work for the static folders, but I am constantly adding new photos from various sources (phones, cameras, ...)

• Pieter Dejaeger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also miss that function. In the past I used GooglevDrive (2 years ago) and that function was already present in Google Drive.

• wolfgang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must! Why only editor rights folders to be synced?

But on the other hand thank MS for finally allowing us to sync shared (editor rights) folders; it is a good start to develop OneDrive. From the viewpoint of serious windows users OneDrive is maybe the most important part of Windows. Those people do not care so much about beautiful icons, or idiotíc ideas like building automatic albums, they want to have tools for communication and collaboration.
        So please:
        - bring the possiblity to sync all types of folders in OneDrive (also read only ones)
        - bring back placeholders for 'online only' folders/files in OneDrive
        - make a transparent directory structure for synchronized shared folders (e.g. mainfolder for owner...)
        - do not sync whole file when only tag information has changed (large video, foto or picturefiles )

This would be really sexy!
        Then you can call this Windows 66!

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an obvious use case for wanting to share folders while not extending editor rights. This limitation really means I STILL don't have (and maybe won't ever?) shared folders through OneDrive! I guess I'm going to have to keep using DropBox for this...

I can't share a folder and ask people to constantly be navigating to OneDrive on the Web to see if I've published an update or change to folders whose content changes relatively often. They should be able to simply see the new content on their own computer through a synced folder (that ideally would notify them when files are added; as does DBox). But I can't give them permission to edit the files for a number of reasons, one being they are liable to delete them! DropBox allows me to share the folder w/ view rights only. Granted they charge for the privilege, but I pay MS the same amount of money as an O365 subscriber.

• RZZR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is indeed really important! E.g. to share templates which should not be updated by anyone by accident....

Feedback and Knowledge Base