OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop OneDrive restoring long deleted files

I know I'm launching into criticism here, but OneDrive has IMO a fundamental design flaw that just doesn't seem to occur with Google Drive or Dropbox. Basically, if you logon to a computer that you haven't logged onto for a long time (like months), OneDrive will restore long deleted files and/or end up with clashes suffixed with the name of the computer.

As I matter of course, I logon to new laptops for my client using my Office 365 account. I sync OneDrive to get to a whole host of deployment files. The user then takes the laptop away.

I…

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export/Import Sharepoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online

Export/Import SharePoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online. In case of a planned client replacement, end-user will not find synchronized SharePoint Libraries on the new computer (less than ideal user experience)

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Colored File Folders in OneDrive

Simply allowing users to assign file folders to better organize things in groups or types of files. Simple idea that allows people to see their types of files without having to read a single word.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Network bandwidth required for sync client updates

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    同期クライアントの更新に必要とするネットワーク帯域幅について
    Network bandwidth required for sync client updates

■Description(内容):
    OneDrive for Business のネットワーク帯域幅は、現在同期に必要とされるネットワーク負荷についてのみ想定されている状況ですが、同期クライアント アプリの更新に伴うネットワーク負荷を下げるような機能については提供には至っていない状況です。

利用環境によっては、ネットワークの逼迫を回避するために計画的な OneDrive 同期クライアント アプリのアップデートを実行しているが、重要な更新プログラムのリリースが必要とされる場合は 60 日間の猶予期間が省略されることがあるため、想定外のネットワークの逼迫が発生してしまい、広範囲での影響を及ぼします。
    そのため、ネットワーク帯域幅については同期利用時のみではなく、同期クライアントの更新に関してもネットワーク負荷を下げるような機能を早急に用意してほしいです。​

The network bandwidth of OneDrive for Business is currently based only on the network load required for synchronization, but the feature to reduce the network load due to update of the sync client application has not yet been provided.

According to the usage environment, we have been executing updates for the OneDrive sync client app in order to avoid an overstrained network, if an important update program needs to be released sometimes the grace period…

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow check in/ Check out when SharePoint document library has been synced to local machine using onedrive

Allow check in/ Check out when SharePoint document library has been synced to local machine using onedrive. When files are synchronised using onedrive, the check in, check out ribbon is not available. The files are displayed in read only. This makes onedrive useless for a lot of our customers.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. force sync

force sync. WTF is taking so long to do this?

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make OneDrive Known Folder Move user based instead of machine based.

Since OneDrive is user oriented it makes more sense to be able to set certain GPO settings on a user level. One of these settings would be Known Folder Move (KFM). Currently the settings for KFM are set in HKLM\Software\Policies\OneDrive.

This makes it almost impossible to make this setting apply to users that don't have an existing folder redirection GPO in place (since the setting is set for the machine, and not the user).

In our environment we want to apply the KFM folder setting to users that don't have an existing folder redirection to their home-drive.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Feature: Sync metadata - file attributes

// Redirected from: https://github.com/OneDrive/onedrive-explorer-win/issues/1

Would be really useful if OneDrive sync the associated file attributes such as; hidden and read-only flags (at least these basic ones), and expose it to the API as well.

Currently, if you have a read-only or hidden file on a device, after syncing it loses those attributes on the other (except for the timestamp).

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Show the files to be deleted when asking, "Remove files from OneDrive? You recently deleted 272 files from this device."

Show the files to be deleted when asking, "Remove files from OneDrive? You recently deleted 272 files from this device." Do you want to remove them from OneDrive too?"

I am getting hit with this question a lot, and I want to be sure the files to be deleted are safe. There is currently no way to tell other than restoring all the files, which could be sporadically dispersed around my hard drive.

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Use simple cache size limit slider for OneDrive

Instead of selective sync in OneDrive, why not just use a simple cache size limit slider. "Store X GB of the most recent accessed files. My Space Monkey works this way and it works great. 10GB of the most recent files are cached locally, everything else in the cloud, pulled down on access, and then cached locally. Manual local cache override by file (pinned) as needed.

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save files to OneDrive via a URL

I wish I were able to copy and/or highlight a URL for a file, and be able to have that file saved to OneDrive (via a right-click option on the menu)...

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Let user customize the folder icon

Let user change the folder icon as it used to be in Win 8.

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Option to select folder on local pc to sync

OneDrive doesn't have the option to select folders on local pc to sync to the cloud, only the default folder it created upon using it for the first time. Please make this option available so users can select the folder of their choice to sync to OneDrive. Regards

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow multiple OneDrive accounts integrated into Windows Explorer

Currently, even if you integrated multiple OneDrive accounts, only the one in which you are logged on is integrated into Windows Explorer. Allowing to use as many OneDrive accounts you have integrated into Windows Explore would make OneDrive even more relevant and competitive.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow filtering of files/types when using known folder redirection.

Allow filtering of files/types when using known folder redirection.

Know folder redirection currently syncs everything in the users desktop (as expected), including user specific application shortcuts...

Now that Microsoft is moving a lot of their productivity applications to user based installed (VS Code, Teams, Yammer) those shortcuts are sync'd between systems even if the apps are not installed. This makes for a bad user experience with lots of orphaned shortcuts on the desktop. Any shortcuts deployed via a GPO also get sync'd and start causing duplication conflicts. At this point I would just filter out .lnk files entirely....

Thanks!

Dewayne

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. let me pause syncing

let me pause syncing

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Option to directly 'copy link' from right-click in a synced directory.

This option is available online and would save me a lot of time when working from my local sync directory. Currently, to copy the link of the directory I have open in Windows Explorer, I either have to:
    a) right click -> Share -> Type Someone's Name (because it won't let me just copy the link without specifying someone first which in itself is super annoying), then click 'copy link'; or
    b) right click -> View Online -> copy link from online

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Better handle invalid characters

When OneDrive fails to sync files because of unsupported characters, instead of just telling us to delete the files, it should
    1. Inform us of which characters are responsaible for the failure
    2. Offer to rename the files, and (optionnally) all the future ones with the same problem, by either deleting the unsupported characters or replacing them by the characters at the user's choice.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. tmp files do not sync but are not restricted

Originally .tmp files were restricted and not allowed to sync from Windows OneDrive client to OneDrive Online.
    However, they lifted this restriction and allow all files types now according to: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/types-of-files-that-cannot-be-added-to-a-list-or-library-30be234d-e551-4c2a-8de8-f8546ffbf5b3
    However, .tmp files on all our Windows machines show that they are syncing but never actually sync. It is an easy test to see that it shows any tmp file will never sync and never attempts to sync, but shows in Windows Explorer that it is in a sync state. This is a bug and the support rep from Microsoft said to add it here.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Use symbolic links to syncronize folders

To sync folders that are outside of OneDrive home folder should be nice to create a symbolic link/aliases for the desired folder.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base