OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use simple cache size limit slider for OneDrive

Instead of selective sync in OneDrive, why not just use a simple cache size limit slider. "Store X GB of the most recent accessed files. My Space Monkey works this way and it works great. 10GB of the most recent files are cached locally, everything else in the cloud, pulled down on access, and then cached locally. Manual local cache override by file (pinned) as needed.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Let user customize the folder icon

Let user change the folder icon as it used to be in Win 8.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. LET ME DELETE ONEDRIVE BECAUSE I HATE IT

Omg do I hate onedrive. I have NO CLUE how to get rid of it but all of my Microsoft Office programs defer to it. It's the worst. When I want to back things up online I use Google Drive. Not Onedrive. Mainly because Google isn't always in my effing face about it's cloud program. I JUST WANT TO UNINSTALL THIS and still be able to use the Office programs for work. I want to press ctrl + S and be able to easily choose the file on my computer in which to save documents. Whatever your little system is…

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Better handle invalid characters

When OneDrive fails to sync files because of unsupported characters, instead of just telling us to delete the files, it should
    1. Inform us of which characters are responsaible for the failure
    2. Offer to rename the files, and (optionnally) all the future ones with the same problem, by either deleting the unsupported characters or replacing them by the characters at the user's choice.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. tmp files do not sync but are not restricted

Originally .tmp files were restricted and not allowed to sync from Windows OneDrive client to OneDrive Online.
    However, they lifted this restriction and allow all files types now according to: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/types-of-files-that-cannot-be-added-to-a-list-or-library-30be234d-e551-4c2a-8de8-f8546ffbf5b3
    However, .tmp files on all our Windows machines show that they are syncing but never actually sync. It is an easy test to see that it shows any tmp file will never sync and never attempts to sync, but shows in Windows Explorer that it is in a sync state. This is a bug and the support rep from Microsoft said to add it here.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Increase the maximum file size

Please increase the maximum file size that can be uploaded to Office 365 using the OneDrive desktop client, as the current limit of 15 GB is too limiting.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Send links that open in explorer

When you try to copy and paste a shared OneDrive file path to someone it will not work as the path references your local profile.

When you right click and share a file from windows explorer it gives you a HTTP link which only opens on the web

Add the ability to share a link that will open in Windows explorer

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Export/Import Sharepoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online

Export/Import SharePoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online. In case of a planned client replacement, end-user will not find synchronized SharePoint Libraries on the new computer (less than ideal user experience)

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow multiple OneDrive accounts integrated into Windows Explorer

Currently, even if you integrated multiple OneDrive accounts, only the one in which you are logged on is integrated into Windows Explorer. Allowing to use as many OneDrive accounts you have integrated into Windows Explore would make OneDrive even more relevant and competitive.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to select folder on local pc to sync

OneDrive doesn't have the option to select folders on local pc to sync to the cloud, only the default folder it created upon using it for the first time. Please make this option available so users can select the folder of their choice to sync to OneDrive. Regards

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Auto Check-Out / Check-In file types that don't support Co-Authoring

It would be great if the OneDrive Sync Client could be instructed to Check-Out any file type that doesn't support native co-authoring (i.e. DWG). At the moment, checking out a file is a manual process that must be performed on the web. while this does prevent file conflicts as any other user is restricted to opening the file as Read Only, it becomes an untenable option when someone is opening up a large number of files simultaneously (i.e a CAD drawing with a bunch of xrefs).

This doesn't only impact AutoCAD of course, it would be a good option to…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Onedrive geteilte Ordner lokal synchronisieren

Bitte nehmt euch ein Beispiel an Dropbox oder Google Drive und lasst geteilte Ordner innerhalb der lokalen Ordnerstruktur synchronisieren. Dieses fehlende Feature ist derzeit DER Grund, weshalb ich (als absolut überzeugter Windows-Nutzer) lieber Dropbox zum Teilen von Dateien und Ordnern benutze.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please give me the ability to unshare from the right click menu.

Please give us the ability to unshare a shared file. Please add this feature to the Windows Desktop OneDrive right click menu, the OneDrive mobile apps (Android/Apple), and the OneDrive web site file list.

Idealy we should also be able to see if a file has been shared or not shared in the Windows Explorer's detail view so we don't have to right click to find out which files are shared or not. But if it is shared we should be able to unshare it by right clicking and selecting Unshare.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pause syncing directly from metered network notification

The notification that comes up when on a metered network should include a button to pause syncing directly. Currently you have to dismiss the notification, hunt in the system tray for the app icon and go through the menu to choose the pause duration. This is necessary for every account that is synced - I have a OneDrive for Business account as well as a personal OneDrive one and it's painful having to do this twice every time I'm on a metered network.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Dark mode for OneDrive flyout menu

Windows 10 slowly implements system-wide dark mode in RS5, maybe OneDrive should sync with the theme

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Auto backup USB memory sticks / portable hard drives when you plug them in if you enable it

When you plug in an external storage device it would be great if it automatically backed it up to a USB file on OneDrive. That would mean that if I had left my memory stick at home but had plugged it in last night, that I would have my files on OneDrive.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stop counting previous versions, recycle bin, and icons against storage limits

Things like previous versions, files in the recycle bin, and the icons that are generated in the online portal should not be counted against your total storage size. We enforce a storage limit as we have many PC's in our environment that cannot yet take advantage of files on demand and it's hard to explain to users why they need to clean up their files when if you only counted the size of the file it would be under the limit. OneDrive also creates icons for each file to be viewed in the online portal. It can be 15MB per…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unlock Personal Vault with Windows Hello

Please add Windows Hello support to Personal Vaults.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Automatic backup on Windows

Now that Onedrive haves 1 TB for Office 360 holders, give us the option to make a automatic onedrive back up, and of course that may need to increase the file limit more that only 2 GB.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Create prioritization for files/folders.

Allow for users to set a prioritization of particular folders so to allow them to sync before everything else. Would be invaluable when using another device to have the files you set as high priority to download/upload before everything else.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base