OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Export/Import Sharepoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online

Export/Import SharePoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online. In case of a planned client replacement, end-user will not find synchronized SharePoint Libraries on the new computer (less than ideal user experience)

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add feature to exclude a folder

Please add a feature to exclude a folder from syncing up to OneDrive! I use OneDrive for photos but when iTunes creates the stupid iPod cache folder I do not want this to sync to the cloud. Often I remove this folder completely and let it be rebuilt, after making changes to images, and there is no point to continuously upload 5 gig to OneDrive when it is not needed.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show file thumbnail (preview) on folder icons when OneDrive Files On-Demand is enabled

When OneDrive files on demand is enabled, the icons of OneDrive folders show icons of default apps with which files open instead of thumbnails for the files. For example, the Photos app icon is shown on the folder icon instead of a thumbnail showing a preview of the image, the Edge icon is shown instead of a thumbnail showing the first page of the PDF, etc. This also happens if I choose a file to show on the folder icon in Properties → Customize → Choose file, even if the folder is set to be available offline and all the…

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use symbolic links to syncronize folders

To sync folders that are outside of OneDrive home folder should be nice to create a symbolic link/aliases for the desired folder.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. In OneDrive there is a limit of file path which allows only 260 characters. This killing our file storage structure. It should support more

In OneDrive there is a limit of file path which allows only 260 characters. This killing our file storage structure. It should support more character or count file name as path not all folders.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please alllow us to rename onedrive root folder name from "onedrive" to other name.

Currently when you add a link folder to the onedrive apps, it will create a subfolder call "onedrive" and start to sync the file in there.
    If only it just use the folder we put as the link folder and start to sync there.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Auto Check-Out / Check-In file types that don't support Co-Authoring

It would be great if the OneDrive Sync Client could be instructed to Check-Out any file type that doesn't support native co-authoring (i.e. DWG). At the moment, checking out a file is a manual process that must be performed on the web. while this does prevent file conflicts as any other user is restricted to opening the file as Read Only, it becomes an untenable option when someone is opening up a large number of files simultaneously (i.e a CAD drawing with a bunch of xrefs).

This doesn't only impact AutoCAD of course, it would be a good option to…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make OneDrive the default save location for Minecraft worlds

Makes it easy to load and save Minecraft worlds across devices.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. disable onedrive

allow the system admin to completely disable onedrive and cortana...they are annoying!

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Increase the maximum file size

Please increase the maximum file size that can be uploaded to Office 365 using the OneDrive desktop client, as the current limit of 15 GB is too limiting.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Move to OneDrive

Please, remove the "Move to OneDrive" context menu for each file.
    Keep clicking that stupid entry and not having a clue where my files did go >.<
    Undo doesn't work.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Send links that open in explorer

When you try to copy and paste a shared OneDrive file path to someone it will not work as the path references your local profile.

When you right click and share a file from windows explorer it gives you a HTTP link which only opens on the web

Add the ability to share a link that will open in Windows explorer

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to sync OneDrive with more than one hard drive

I have a laptop with a (small) solid state hard drive, and a couple of large external hard drives. And a ton of photos, videos etc on OneDrive. It would be impossible to sync all OneDrive with my laptop - and because I mainly use that for business I really just need Word, Excel, Powerpoint files etc. But I would like to be able to sync other files (like photos or videos) with an external hard drive. Right now I need to "pick one". But I want to be able to select which hard drive OneDrive is syncing with.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. slow,china,slow,

slow,china,slow,

up-20-30k
    down-100k
    my lan 20m

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add the "Favorites" folder to Know Folder move to they are redirected automatically.

Add the "Favorites" folder and database (for Edge) to the Know Folder move / Auto Save to be able to sync favorites. This way users will have their Favorites follow them as they move workstations, just like desktop, documents and pictures.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow KFM to ignore OneNote Files.

We are trying to protect 40k machines and currently most have at least one local OneNote file (default when you first launch OneNote). All users are now getting the error that KFM can not continue and you need to follow Doc *** to move local OneNotes first.

As Documents folder is not removed from local profile, can an additional setting be added to bypass OneNote files and leave them in the profile Documents folder, and only Warn the user that they will not be migrated and they should follow the documentation to migrate them to OneDrive post migration.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. notifications

on desktop onedrive can you add notifications for when a file is added or updated in a shared folder, like how dropbox does? thanks!

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Display File Previews when Files and Demand is active and the file is on the local machine.

Currently, when Files on Demand is active, no previews are displayed for pictures. I can understand why this would be difficult if the file is Online Only, but it should be possible to display previews for files that are on the local workstation. Please consider adding this.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Shared with me folder

When someone shares a file/folder with me in Google Drive, this file/folder is located in "Shared with me" folder in online version (web version), but I cannot see that folder/file in the "Google Drive" folder located in my computer (Local folder). If I want to see that file/folder in my local folder, I have to move the folder/file to "My Files" folder, then the local folder will synchronize the information. This feature is not available in OneDrive. Is possible to enable this option in OneDrive to be able to see all shared documents in our machines?

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. LET ME DELETE ONEDRIVE BECAUSE I HATE IT

Omg do I hate onedrive. I have NO CLUE how to get rid of it but all of my Microsoft Office programs defer to it. It's the worst. When I want to back things up online I use Google Drive. Not Onedrive. Mainly because Google isn't always in my effing face about it's cloud program. I JUST WANT TO UNINSTALL THIS and still be able to use the Office programs for work. I want to press ctrl + S and be able to easily choose the file on my computer in which to save documents. Whatever your little system is…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base