OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase the maximum file size

Please increase the maximum file size that can be uploaded to Office 365 using the OneDrive desktop client, as the current limit of 15 GB is too limiting.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create prioritization for files/folders.

Allow for users to set a prioritization of particular folders so to allow them to sync before everything else. Would be invaluable when using another device to have the files you set as high priority to download/upload before everything else.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Backup Important PC Folders - Additional Options

"Backup Important PC Folders" should have additional options to include all the primary user profile folders - particularly Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures and Videos.

The most important ones would be Favorites and Videos to add to the mix, but realistically it should even include the 3D Objects folder.

This would not only make IT environments far easier to automatically back up, but also personal use of OneDrive would be far more beneficial to the average user.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have the option of disabling ransomware detection for a specific (encrypted) folder

While ransomware protection is a great thing to have, uploading a folder that only has encrypted folders/files inside it trips this ransomware detection. So far, after uploading that folder, I've already gotten 3 separate "suspected ransomware" notifications in regards to files from that folder.
    One way it to protect against it accidentally being turned off could be something similar to how an anti-virus is set up - when it detects something wrong, it prompts the user for an action, one of which is to ignore that file/folder and exclude it from further checks. That way, the option to disable ransomware…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Pause syncing directly from metered network notification

The notification that comes up when on a metered network should include a button to pause syncing directly. Currently you have to dismiss the notification, hunt in the system tray for the app icon and go through the menu to choose the pause duration. This is necessary for every account that is synced - I have a OneDrive for Business account as well as a personal OneDrive one and it's painful having to do this twice every time I'm on a metered network.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dark mode for OneDrive flyout menu

Windows 10 slowly implements system-wide dark mode in RS5, maybe OneDrive should sync with the theme

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Multiple Partitions and external devices

I suggest the possibility to syncronize with one drive differents partition and external devices. For example I have: c for windows, D for data, e for music, f for films, g for pictures and so on.. For personal reasons i prefear to have files in different partitions and I'm not able to syncronize or backup more than one partition on one drive. At the moment I'm syncronizing only drive D, less than 10gb because one drive don't allowed me to do others. The others partions are backup on other cloud providers.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stop counting previous versions, recycle bin, and icons against storage limits

Things like previous versions, files in the recycle bin, and the icons that are generated in the online portal should not be counted against your total storage size. We enforce a storage limit as we have many PC's in our environment that cannot yet take advantage of files on demand and it's hard to explain to users why they need to clean up their files when if you only counted the size of the file it would be under the limit. OneDrive also creates icons for each file to be viewed in the online portal. It can be 15MB per…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Onedrive geteilte Ordner lokal synchronisieren

Bitte nehmt euch ein Beispiel an Dropbox oder Google Drive und lasst geteilte Ordner innerhalb der lokalen Ordnerstruktur synchronisieren. Dieses fehlende Feature ist derzeit DER Grund, weshalb ich (als absolut überzeugter Windows-Nutzer) lieber Dropbox zum Teilen von Dateien und Ordnern benutze.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to sync OneDrive with more than one hard drive

I have a laptop with a (small) solid state hard drive, and a couple of large external hard drives. And a ton of photos, videos etc on OneDrive. It would be impossible to sync all OneDrive with my laptop - and because I mainly use that for business I really just need Word, Excel, Powerpoint files etc. But I would like to be able to sync other files (like photos or videos) with an external hard drive. Right now I need to "pick one". But I want to be able to select which hard drive OneDrive is syncing with.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please give me the ability to unshare from the right click menu.

Please give us the ability to unshare a shared file. Please add this feature to the Windows Desktop OneDrive right click menu, the OneDrive mobile apps (Android/Apple), and the OneDrive web site file list.

Idealy we should also be able to see if a file has been shared or not shared in the Windows Explorer's detail view so we don't have to right click to find out which files are shared or not. But if it is shared we should be able to unshare it by right clicking and selecting Unshare.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Increase file name character limit

People who have multiple folder layers and detailed file names are severely penalised by having the 260 / 400 character limit to a file name.

This is a poor limitation and is leading me to consider leaving the OneDrive service. I'm certain you can come up with a solution to increase this limit, remove it, or make it so that the file path isn't stored in the file name!

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Automatic backup on Windows

Now that Onedrive haves 1 TB for Office 360 holders, give us the option to make a automatic onedrive back up, and of course that may need to increase the file limit more that only 2 GB.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. ignore symlink

I get it, you don't want to code support for symlinks, that's fine. But for the love of god, at least let onedrive ignore them while syncing. I have a lot of projects in OneDrive but my workflow requires to have a few symlinks within their folders. I don't need the content of symlinks to be synced, i just need them to be there. I just want onedrive to look at symlink while syncing and say "huh, this is a symlink, I'm just gonna pretend it's not here, instead of crashing and burning and runing everything!"

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. OPTIONAL Automatically Pause Sync on Metered Connection

At the time of this writing, 06/19/2018, OneDrive sync will always pause automatically if a metered connection is detected. I understand the intention of this feature and how it can be helpful, but please make this feature optional by adding a checkbox in the settings menu that controls this feature. I think the community would like the ability to decide whether or not OneDrive automatically syncs on a metered connection.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enable users to customize icons of synced folders (ger rid of annoying green check mark)

I am using Windows 10 enterprise evaluation edition.
    Previously on windows 8.1, there was no green check mark on folders being synced by Onedrive, and there was a blue syncing mark only on folders not yet synced by Onedrive, which was acceptable.

After upgrading to Windows 10, all icons of folders being synced by Onedrive has ANNOYING green check mark, and I couldn't find an option to manage this.

I was able to get rid of them by deleting every onedrive-related key in below registry addresses:

HKLM\Softwares\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

HKLM\Softwares\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

But after I remove those, Onedrive asks for a permission to install…

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow multiple personal OneDrive Accounts on each Device

It’s great being able to sync both my personal and business OneDrive accounts on each of my devices. We have several family members that share a single computer, but we are unable to have multiple personal accounts open at once. It would be great if multiple accounts could be open and synced at once.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. add sync exception for folders

add sync exception for folders so some subfolders of a synced folder will not be synced to the cloud. for example I need to sync the 'my documents' folder, but qq and wechat forcefully store their programd data in this folder so as long as I have these I'm apps open I have to always sync tons of useless data.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add OneDrive to Windows File Explorer Ribbon

Add OneDrive share and send-to options to the Windows File Explorer Ribbon. Use the existing Share tab or on add a new dedicated OneDrive tab.

Include:
    • Share on OneDrive
    • Share on OneDrive Business
    • Share on SharePoint

• Send to OneDrive
    • Send to OneDrive Business
    • Send to SharePoint

Also match these options with the right-click context-menu feature recently added to the Windows File Explorer.

Adding OneDrive to the File Explorer Ribbon will increase end-user awareness and discoverability.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. provide uninstall option for OneDrive

As per description, please provide uninstall option for OneDrive to fully remove the daemon and any possibility of data being moved to a non local storage environment.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base