OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please give me the ability to unshare from the right click menu.

Please give us the ability to unshare a shared file. Please add this feature to the Windows Desktop OneDrive right click menu, the OneDrive mobile apps (Android/Apple), and the OneDrive web site file list.

Idealy we should also be able to see if a file has been shared or not shared in the Windows Explorer's detail view so we don't have to right click to find out which files are shared or not. But if it is shared we should be able to unshare it by right clicking and selecting Unshare.

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatic backup on Windows

Now that Onedrive haves 1 TB for Office 360 holders, give us the option to make a automatic onedrive back up, and of course that may need to increase the file limit more that only 2 GB.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shared with me folder

When someone shares a file/folder with me in Google Drive, this file/folder is located in "Shared with me" folder in online version (web version), but I cannot see that folder/file in the "Google Drive" folder located in my computer (Local folder). If I want to see that file/folder in my local folder, I have to move the folder/file to "My Files" folder, then the local folder will synchronize the information. This feature is not available in OneDrive. Is possible to enable this option in OneDrive to be able to see all shared documents in our machines?

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. OPTIONAL Automatically Pause Sync on Metered Connection

At the time of this writing, 06/19/2018, OneDrive sync will always pause automatically if a metered connection is detected. I understand the intention of this feature and how it can be helpful, but please make this feature optional by adding a checkbox in the settings menu that controls this feature. I think the community would like the ability to decide whether or not OneDrive automatically syncs on a metered connection.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Increase file name character limit

People who have multiple folder layers and detailed file names are severely penalised by having the 260 / 400 character limit to a file name.

This is a poor limitation and is leading me to consider leaving the OneDrive service. I'm certain you can come up with a solution to increase this limit, remove it, or make it so that the file path isn't stored in the file name!

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Show "shared libraries" in File Explorer

OneDrive web shows a list of Shared Libraries. I would love to see these libraries in Windows File Explorer in a folder under the OneDrive folder. It would be great to navigate these folders and see the content without downloading / syncing the files, with the option to sync if required. I believe this would help user adoption as a lot of users are comfortable with Explorer, but not using the web interface. Optionally, we could just do this for Followed sites.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Offline Shared Folder Access

I would like to see files which are shared with me in the same manner I view my own files - within Windows Explorer.

If you want to get a large file when in a bad signal/wifi area, it becomes an aggravating mess.

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable users to customize icons of synced folders (ger rid of annoying green check mark)

I am using Windows 10 enterprise evaluation edition.
    Previously on windows 8.1, there was no green check mark on folders being synced by Onedrive, and there was a blue syncing mark only on folders not yet synced by Onedrive, which was acceptable.

After upgrading to Windows 10, all icons of folders being synced by Onedrive has ANNOYING green check mark, and I couldn't find an option to manage this.

I was able to get rid of them by deleting every onedrive-related key in below registry addresses:

HKLM\Softwares\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

HKLM\Softwares\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

But after I remove those, Onedrive asks for a permission to install…

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. add sync exception for folders

add sync exception for folders so some subfolders of a synced folder will not be synced to the cloud. for example I need to sync the 'my documents' folder, but qq and wechat forcefully store their programd data in this folder so as long as I have these I'm apps open I have to always sync tons of useless data.

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add OneDrive to Windows File Explorer Ribbon

Add OneDrive share and send-to options to the Windows File Explorer Ribbon. Use the existing Share tab or on add a new dedicated OneDrive tab.

Include:
    • Share on OneDrive
    • Share on OneDrive Business
    • Share on SharePoint

• Send to OneDrive
    • Send to OneDrive Business
    • Send to SharePoint

Also match these options with the right-click context-menu feature recently added to the Windows File Explorer.

Adding OneDrive to the File Explorer Ribbon will increase end-user awareness and discoverability.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. provide uninstall option for OneDrive

As per description, please provide uninstall option for OneDrive to fully remove the daemon and any possibility of data being moved to a non local storage environment.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow users to sync files from more than one drive

Or better yet, let us sync files from anywhere on our PC.

I have 2 hard disks. C:\ is a small, expensive solid state drive. D:\ is a large, cheap 7200 RPM drive. I keep things that are small but accessed often on my solid state C drive. I keep larger things on my D drive.

I want to sync my documents and photos to OneDrive because i want to be able to share them with others and because they are irreplaceable should something happen to one of my drives. Unfortunately my documents are on my C drive and my…

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Why don't you add shared view option in onedrive folder in file explorer?

Why don't you add shared view option in onedrive folder in file explorer? When it's possible to view on mobile application then I think it should be viewable on computer too. For instance my friend shared a folder with me if I want to access it once or multiple times, possible way that I have to go for browser which takes more time than opening directly in onedrive folder in file explorer. My idea is that why can't we access shared folders in onedrive folder in file explorer.

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support multiple drives in PC

I have all my program software on the C drive and all my user data and files on a second internal drive. This is due to the fact I do a lot of photography and need a lot of capacity. I would like to sync all my second drive user files to OneDrive, but I understand I can only sync C drive files. Please consider enhancing the OneDrive app for Windows 7 to enable syncing of a second internal drive.

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Windows - shared by me and shared with me interface

Our users complain that they have to go online or find an email when want to access file or folder that was shared with them. Or when they want to see all the files that were shared by them.
    It would be great to have an interface in Windows to replicate online experience

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. OPen file explorer instead of Online Shareponit

When sharing documents from desktop, the link opens up the online sharepoint folder. We would like the option to open the link to file or folder in file explorer on desktop instead

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. OneDrive Client for Citrix

Release a OneDrive client for Citrix XenApp which doesn't rely on local cache.

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Personal vault needs to sync while locked

Personal vault needs to background sync while locked. Moved 2.5GB of data into personal vault, 20 minutes later it locked in the middle of first sync, then wouldn't let me unlock it ("something went wrong try again"). I had to completely disconnect my pc and reconnect to OneDrive to get it to start syncing again... and then none of my folders were in the vault because the folder hadn't finished the initial sync! Bad design Microsoft. Personal vault HAS to be able to sync while locked, otherwise it's pretty much useless. Oh and by the way, after disconnect/reconnect, I did…

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Compile for ARM64 PC's please !

I'm using the official Microsoft Surface Pro X and saw that OneDrive is running emulated, consuming more power and being slower than it would be in ARM64 compiled version!
    Please, consider delivering OneDrive for ARM64 windows PC's

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. disable onedrive

allow the system admin to completely disable onedrive and cortana...they are annoying!

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base