OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create prioritization for files/folders.

Allow for users to set a prioritization of particular folders so to allow them to sync before everything else. Would be invaluable when using another device to have the files you set as high priority to download/upload before everything else.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. provide uninstall option for OneDrive

As per description, please provide uninstall option for OneDrive to fully remove the daemon and any possibility of data being moved to a non local storage environment.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow sync to external devices

Currently, syncing OneDrive to an external device (Such as an external HDD) is unusable. It is impossible to keep synced up, and will constantly prompt for the user to to re-sync their OneDrive, defaulting to C:\Users\[User]\OneDrive. After attempting this for a few months, I finally bit the bullet and accepted that syncing OneDrive to an external device is unusable in its current implementation.

To resolve this, I would suggest the following:

OneDrive remembers where it was synced - even if the drive is no longer present. So rather than starting the initial setup, the user would receive an error along…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. no material design button

As an application of this type you don't change between OneDrive business and OneDrive personal every second and you don't see the used storage every second, I'd make another swipe screen with into the graphic of used storage, the title will be " OneDrive personal" or " OneDrive business" and the button to switch to the other OneDrive. In my opinion the button in material design and the tile of the app home page are just wasted space. Plus make the transparent tile.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Offline Shared Folder Access

I would like to see files which are shared with me in the same manner I view my own files - within Windows Explorer.

If you want to get a large file when in a bad signal/wifi area, it becomes an aggravating mess.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    PC のシャットダウン時の同期の進行状況の表示について
    Allow PC to continue shutting down without any operations when users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.

■Description(内容):
    同期中の "処理中" の状態で、PC のシャットダウンをしようとすると、進行中のファイル アップロードがユーザーに通知されるように新機能が追加されておりますが、PC のシャットダウン時に操作なしに画面を戻らせることなく、シャットダウンを遂行する機能の追加を要望いたします。
    または、進行中のファイル アップロードをユーザーに通知する機能をオフにする機能の追加を要望いたします。

In current design, we have new feature to notify uses about on-going file uploading if users shut down PCs with “Processing” status of sync.
    However, we would like to see the feature to allow PC to continue shutting down without any operation or getting back to the previous screen, or the feature to disable notification about on-going file uploading.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow multiple OneDrive accounts integrated into Windows Explorer

Currently, even if you integrated multiple OneDrive accounts, only the one in which you are logged on is integrated into Windows Explorer. Allowing to use as many OneDrive accounts you have integrated into Windows Explore would make OneDrive even more relevant and competitive.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix "Free Up Space" greyed out for Files On-Demand

With the "File On-Demand" settings activated, the option "Free up space" from the Windows Explorer contextual menu is grayed out on parent directories.
    However, it is available for individual files.

This happens if the "Free up space" has been already clicked once on a given directory. After adding files (locally available), the option is grayed out on this directory, although some children files are available locally (thus space not "freed up").

Steps to reproduce the error:

1/ Create a directory, e.g. OneDrive/test

2/ In this directory, create a file, e.g. OneDrive/test/file1.txt

3/ Wait for the OneDrive sync to end.

4/…

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Use simple cache size limit slider for OneDrive

Instead of selective sync in OneDrive, why not just use a simple cache size limit slider. "Store X GB of the most recent accessed files. My Space Monkey works this way and it works great. 10GB of the most recent files are cached locally, everything else in the cloud, pulled down on access, and then cached locally. Manual local cache override by file (pinned) as needed.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Multiple Partitions and external devices

I suggest the possibility to syncronize with one drive differents partition and external devices. For example I have: c for windows, D for data, e for music, f for films, g for pictures and so on.. For personal reasons i prefear to have files in different partitions and I'm not able to syncronize or backup more than one partition on one drive. At the moment I'm syncronizing only drive D, less than 10gb because one drive don't allowed me to do others. The others partions are backup on other cloud providers.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow one drive to sync to Windows Phones.

Give us the option Allowing one drive to sync to Windows Phones like it does on a desktop. You gave us the ability put a 256 GB sd card in our phone let us use it. Also give option to allow Onenote to sync everything onto Windows Phone, instead of having to open every notebook section and wait for it to download. Some of us don't live in a big ol city with gigibit connection.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add OneDrive to Windows File Explorer Ribbon

Add OneDrive share *and* send-to options to the Windows File Explorer Ribbon. Use the existing Share tab *or* on add a new dedicated OneDrive tab.

Include:
    • Share on OneDrive
    • Share on OneDrive Business
    • Share on SharePoint

• Send to OneDrive
    • Send to OneDrive Business
    • Send to SharePoint

Also match these options with the right-click context-menu feature recently added to the Windows File Explorer.

Adding OneDrive to the File Explorer Ribbon will increase end-user awareness and discoverability.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable users to customize icons of synced folders (ger rid of annoying green check mark)

I am using Windows 10 enterprise evaluation edition.
    Previously on windows 8.1, there was no green check mark on folders being synced by Onedrive, and there was a blue syncing mark only on folders not yet synced by Onedrive, which was acceptable.

After upgrading to Windows 10, all icons of folders being synced by Onedrive has ANNOYING green check mark, and I couldn't find an option to manage this.

I was able to get rid of them by deleting every onedrive-related key in below registry addresses:

HKLM\Softwares\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

HKLM\Softwares\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

But after I remove those, Onedrive asks for a permission to install…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export/Import Sharepoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online

Export/Import SharePoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online. In case of a planned client replacement, end-user will not find synchronized SharePoint Libraries on the new computer (less than ideal user experience)

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. add passcode protection back for Windows 10 Mobile

add passcode protection back for Windows 10 Mobile. Everyone can see my files. thanks

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Lock Screen

Integrate OneDrive to the Lock Screen.

I like the option to show random photos or collages of the instagram and facebook app. But the majority of my photos are in OneDrive.

You could/should add a similar option, where I select some folders and the app show random photos in those folders in my lock screen, or create a collage with them.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Show file thumbnail (preview) on folder icons when OneDrive Files On-Demand is enabled

When OneDrive files on demand is enabled, the icons of OneDrive folders show icons of default apps with which files open instead of thumbnails for the files. For example, the Photos app icon is shown on the folder icon instead of a thumbnail showing a preview of the image, the Edge icon is shown instead of a thumbnail showing the first page of the PDF, etc. This also happens if I choose a file to show on the folder icon in Properties → Customize → Choose file, even if the folder is set to be available offline and all the…

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Option to select folder on local pc to sync

OneDrive doesn't have the option to select folders on local pc to sync to the cloud, only the default folder it created upon using it for the first time. Please make this option available so users can select the folder of their choice to sync to OneDrive. Regards

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. tmp files do not sync but are not restricted

Originally .tmp files were restricted and not allowed to sync from Windows OneDrive client to OneDrive Online.
    However, they lifted this restriction and allow all files types now according to: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/types-of-files-that-cannot-be-added-to-a-list-or-library-30be234d-e551-4c2a-8de8-f8546ffbf5b3
    However, .tmp files on all our Windows machines show that they are syncing but never actually sync. It is an easy test to see that it shows any tmp file will never sync and never attempts to sync, but shows in Windows Explorer that it is in a sync state. This is a bug and the support rep from Microsoft said to add it here.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. add better geo tagging to photos

On ios moments, geo tagging is amazing... Rather than just London for rxampe it will say St pauls Cathedral, London. OneDrive and windows phone just shows city location.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base