OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow file or folder name containing special characters in OneDrive for Business

OneDrive for Business syncing from local drive to web: just "Too many sync errors" without pertinent suggestions or reasons, and my findings is it don't allow file or folder name containing special characters, e.g. % or # which are now allowed in Windows 7 or 8 and OneDrive for PERSONAL syncing from local drive to web

148 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend support of KFM to Net Share location/File Server Share/

KFM was been introduced in the end of June.
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-OneDrive-Blog/Migrate-Your-Files-to-OneDrive-Easily-with-Known-Folder-Move/ba-p/207076

It's a great idea to helping enterprise to dealing with migration user's data into OneDrive. however, in case it's enterprise, tons of company already protected their user's data via redirect user's known folder like document(mainly) or desktop to file server share\nas devide. but so far KFM is saying that not support network location. think about that how many company are using file share/nas solution to managing user's known folder in tradition way(similar to romaing profile), support moving user' known folder from UNC/Network location will help tons of "us like" to…

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Vacation Mode:

During vacation, I do not want to recieve data from my company (SharePoint libraries, (Team Sites, Groups, Microsoft Teams, OneDrive for Business). I only will sync OneDrive Consumer.

So I need a button, to switch off /on

Add: If you have a second tenant, I want to decide this for each tenat seperatly

Remarks: at this time you only switch On/off all together

135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update the OneDrive for Business Client Network Bandwidth Calculator based on how the Next Generation Sync client works

The OneDrive for Business Client Network Bandwidth Calculator developed by Zach Rosenfield was a great tool for anticipating bandwidth requirements on each site.
    Could you update it to include improvements from the Next Generation Sync Client?

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add the ability to shutdown PC once syncing has completed.

as syncing can take a while, adding the ability to shutdown pc once syncing has finished would mean users don't have to start the sync and hang around till it finishes just to be able to shutdown pc.

130 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. please Add PIN Code OneDrive Windows Phone 10

Please Add PIN Code Protection OneDrive App Windows Phone 10

127 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. This is on our radar. We also support Windows Hello today on Windows 10 – please take a look.

7. Support IRM libraries on the new sync client

Now NGSC do not support IRM libraries. It's not critical (for me) because NGSC support only OneDrive for Business library.
    But once NGSC will support SharePoint library, it's necessary to support IRM library due to security and compliance.

123 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Admin report of One Drive status across a network

There needs to be an admin console that will report on the status of One Drive for Business sync status across a network. Use case example:
    "I installed the “new” OneDrive Sync Client to about 1,000 systems today and enabled Known Folder Move. I want to be able to report on the sync status of those system" Currently there is only a PowerShell command but it doesn't work across the network to report on the status -- https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2017/06/06/powershell-cmdlet-to-check-onedrive-for-business-or-onedrive-personal-status/ The Office 365 reports in the admin center also don't report on the status.

123 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Automatically convert OneNote notebooks in a compatible format when user migrate to OneDrive

OneNote notebooks cannot be migrated to OneDrive without going through OneNote and without user action.
    The storage of OneNote notebooks as a folder and files is not supported on OneDrive. But with the Known Folders function, OneDrive move automatically these OneNote files to OneDrive and break the OneNote synchronization.
    Is it possible to obtain an automatic conversion of notebooks when KFM is executed or a way to automate the migration to OneDrive notebooks?

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide some information on WHAT is CURRENTLY uploaded and on what the PROGRESS is. This is urgent and so basic!

Provide some information on WHAT is CURRENTLY uploaded and on what the PROGRESS is. This is urgent and so basic!

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Stop the OneDrive Popups and Messages

I upgraded to Win 10 a month ago. Since then OneDrive has been on a push for more usage - message appears daily for me to sign-on to OneDrive, File Explorer opens automatically to OneDrive. I use OneDrive minimally, I am retired, I appreciate the convenience of OneDrive - WHEN I NEED IT, but I don't need to be nagged to use it. I have turned off all "Notifications", I have followed the instructions of the OneDrive Team to edit the registry, but the messages still keep coming. This is a problem created by the OneDrive marketing people. Please find…

111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow users to change the OneDrive folder directory (long company name issue)

The default folder for OneDrive (by design) creates a problem that it conflicts with the maximum 255 character path length issue.

For a persons business OneDrive area
    C:\user\FirstnameLastname\OneDrive - LongCompanyName

For a Company Group/Team site
    C:|users\FirstnameLastname\LongCompanyName\LongCompanyName - LibraryName

It means that you are massively restricted on how you can use OneDrive to avoid reaching the 255 character path length limit.

I contacted support and i am told this is "by design", it isn't really fit for the purpose, other cloud storage providers dont have this issue and allow you to change it, it is such a simple feature.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow NAS backup into OneDrive

Allow to back up you network attached storage into OneDrive

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve the upload speed

Upload speed so we can upload large size fie easily and quickly and things are going to be consuming soo Fast improve for the uploading speed

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Better handling of sync collisions

Currently, when OneDrive cant sync a file from my PC because both the server version and the local version have been changed, OneDrive creates a duplicate file with the computer name appended.

OneDrive doesnt notify me at all that there was a sync error. It just creates these duplicates, sometimes for hundreds of files, fills up my storage and I have to sort our manually when I notice that suddenly my storage is low.

If there is a file collision, the OneDrive sync client should ask me wether to keep the server version or the local version. If there are…

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make the icon overlays smaller!

In Windows Explorer the icon overlays when using List view or Details view (anything with small icons) is too big and you cannot see the icon of the file type behind it. Sugarsync and Dropbox have realized this and made their icon overlays smaller. Let's go.

103 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. sync any folder to onedrive

so, i am trying to backup itunes to onecloud without screwing up my itunes config - would be soooo much easier if i could just right click a folder, anywhere in Windows, and click to "Send to OneDrive" - for example.... then a blue arrow circle telling me that folder is backed up to onedrive...

103 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Let us sync all albumes

Currently only saved pictures and camera role are synced.
    But whats about the favorites and also the album which is created from WhatsApp?

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Sync Scedule Options

Add an option to set schedule for sync. This way syncing will occur during that time only. This is really a helpful option to have.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Progress info for on-demand sync

It would be more user-friendly to show current progress of on-demand folders sync. Currently it's only shown as "Processing changes" and popping up new files in the OneDrive pane. User doesn't know how fast is it going, how much files are left, when it will end. Having similar info as for classic sync would be nice.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base