OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better handle invalid characters

When OneDrive fails to sync files because of unsupported characters, instead of just telling us to delete the files, it should
    1. Inform us of which characters are responsaible for the failure
    2. Offer to rename the files, and (optionnally) all the future ones with the same problem, by either deleting the unsupported characters or replacing them by the characters at the user's choice.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Offer a Powershell Module

I would like to be able to do common tasks like moving the OneDrive directory and "Make available offline" via powershell as part of automating my machine setup.

This would also involve a way to determine whether a file is still syncing or is already available offline (again, the gui (Explorer) can do this already).

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Podcast - Add OneDrive support to Windows Phone Podcast App

Add OneDrive support to Windows Phone Podcast app to provide synchronization across devices.

In Windows Phone Podcast app, add an option to:

• Change the default local folders for saved podcasts from Phone\Audio\Podcasts and Phone\Video\Podcasts to corresponding OneDrive folders

• Select Playback for saved podcasts to 'Download to local storage' *or* 'Stream from OneDrive'

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow subfolder exclusion without changing the default behavior of its parent folder

I use my OneDrive storage as my Documents library on multiple PCs, because this lets me sync data between apps that don't offer their own cloud storage solution. However, I need to exclude some files (like the graphics configuration files for several games, for example) as their content is specific to the machine I'm accessing them from. The issue is, if I manually exclude the directories where these files are, OneDrive treats the entire Documents folder as 'only sync manually selected folders' and any new folders I create by default are not synced. Please allow users to exclude certain files…

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Onedrive geteilte Ordner lokal synchronisieren

Bitte nehmt euch ein Beispiel an Dropbox oder Google Drive und lasst geteilte Ordner innerhalb der lokalen Ordnerstruktur synchronisieren. Dieses fehlende Feature ist derzeit DER Grund, weshalb ich (als absolut überzeugter Windows-Nutzer) lieber Dropbox zum Teilen von Dateien und Ordnern benutze.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pause syncing directly from metered network notification

The notification that comes up when on a metered network should include a button to pause syncing directly. Currently you have to dismiss the notification, hunt in the system tray for the app icon and go through the menu to choose the pause duration. This is necessary for every account that is synced - I have a OneDrive for Business account as well as a personal OneDrive one and it's painful having to do this twice every time I'm on a metered network.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. think about the integration with Skype, WhatsApp ,Contacts ,and other apps.

We know that Onedrive is seamless integration with Office ,Windows 8.1, Photo,Outlook,Calender...

but what about other Microsoft products and other apps in windows store for example:

1-are we need more integrity with Skype ?
    2-are we need more integrity with internet explorer to save the history and favorite ? becouse maybe the system down or hacked how can we backup the pages from internet explorer ?
    3-are we need more integrity with WhatsApp ? of course we need like the integrity between WhatsApp and Icloud in IOS.
    4-are we need to backup the contacts from IOS and Android to help…

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Let user customize the folder icon

Let user change the folder icon as it used to be in Win 8.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Dark mode for OneDrive flyout menu

Windows 10 slowly implements system-wide dark mode in RS5, maybe OneDrive should sync with the theme

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable Selective Sync when first installed.

I am being forced to download GBs of files right now because OneDrive will not allow me to Selective Sync Folders on first install. When I Choose Folders, I get the error message "Sorry, your changes couldn't be saved. Some of the items you tried to stop syncing aren't in OneDrive yet. Please wait for them to finish uploading and fix and sync problems, and then try making changes again later." I have no local files, it is downloading files from the cloud. Also when installed, it did not give me an option to Selective Folders. I just noticed a…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Stop counting previous versions, recycle bin, and icons against storage limits

Things like previous versions, files in the recycle bin, and the icons that are generated in the online portal should not be counted against your total storage size. We enforce a storage limit as we have many PC's in our environment that cannot yet take advantage of files on demand and it's hard to explain to users why they need to clean up their files when if you only counted the size of the file it would be under the limit. OneDrive also creates icons for each file to be viewed in the online portal. It can be 15MB per…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multiple Accounts for OneDrive Personal - Windows 10

We have a Office 365 Home account which gives us each 1 TB of storage. Why am I unable to use the same home PC (when we do share) for OneDrive to sync her OneDrive and my OneDrive on the same PC?

Doesnt make much sense to not allow up to 5 accounts for onedrive personal to match Office 365 Home.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. more OneDrive Personal Vault lock options - 20mins is too low

OneDrive Personal Vault is a great OneDrive feature 'though in order to make it more usable, I wish it had more locking options - namely, whenever I unlock it, it'll lock itself automatically in 20mins.

I am of the opinion that 20mins is too few - I wish I could unlock it upon login and have it locked at logout.

This is because if you have a Personal Vault file opened & it then locks 20mins later, you can't save the changes without unlocking the Personal Vault again (with the subsequent risk of data loss).

So please consider either allowing…

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. please allow to unzip files inside the drive

please provide an option to unzip the folders inside the OneDrive.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Better video streaming on xbox one

I love to play my videos recorded with Windows phone on my Xbox One, I really think it's a great and usefull feature but there's no buffering for video and it's really hard watch videos on this way. Please solve it.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Automatic backup on Windows

Now that Onedrive haves 1 TB for Office 360 holders, give us the option to make a automatic onedrive back up, and of course that may need to increase the file limit more that only 2 GB.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. OPTIONAL Automatically Pause Sync on Metered Connection

At the time of this writing, 06/19/2018, OneDrive sync will always pause automatically if a metered connection is detected. I understand the intention of this feature and how it can be helpful, but please make this feature optional by adding a checkbox in the settings menu that controls this feature. I think the community would like the ability to decide whether or not OneDrive automatically syncs on a metered connection.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create prioritization for files/folders.

Allow for users to set a prioritization of particular folders so to allow them to sync before everything else. Would be invaluable when using another device to have the files you set as high priority to download/upload before everything else.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Need onedrive run as a service in windows server so that it would run even though you are sign out from the server

Need onedrive run as a service in windows server so that it would run even though you are sign out from the server

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. provide uninstall option for OneDrive

As per description, please provide uninstall option for OneDrive to fully remove the daemon and any possibility of data being moved to a non local storage environment.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base