OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable users to customize icons of synced folders (ger rid of annoying green check mark)

I am using Windows 10 enterprise evaluation edition.
    Previously on windows 8.1, there was no green check mark on folders being synced by Onedrive, and there was a blue syncing mark only on folders not yet synced by Onedrive, which was acceptable.

After upgrading to Windows 10, all icons of folders being synced by Onedrive has ANNOYING green check mark, and I couldn't find an option to manage this.

I was able to get rid of them by deleting every onedrive-related key in below registry addresses:

HKLM\Softwares\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

HKLM\Softwares\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

But after I remove those, Onedrive asks for a permission to install…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export/Import Sharepoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online

Export/Import SharePoint Document Libraries List for computer replacements or store setting online. In case of a planned client replacement, end-user will not find synchronized SharePoint Libraries on the new computer (less than ideal user experience)

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add passcode protection back for Windows 10 Mobile

add passcode protection back for Windows 10 Mobile. Everyone can see my files. thanks

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Lock Screen

Integrate OneDrive to the Lock Screen.

I like the option to show random photos or collages of the instagram and facebook app. But the majority of my photos are in OneDrive.

You could/should add a similar option, where I select some folders and the app show random photos in those folders in my lock screen, or create a collage with them.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Send links that open in explorer

When you try to copy and paste a shared OneDrive file path to someone it will not work as the path references your local profile.

When you right click and share a file from windows explorer it gives you a HTTP link which only opens on the web

Add the ability to share a link that will open in Windows explorer

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Do not show error messages for excluded filetypes

When I exclude filetypes from syncing (using Admin center or Set-SPOTenantSyncClientRestriction) they are marked as "file could not be synced". This is also shown by a red cross.

This behavior confuses Users that think that there is a real problem and furthermore makes it impossible for unqualified users to distinguished between this "by design" errors and real problems

So please do not show error messages for excluded filetypes or deliver an option for disabling these Error messages.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. add better geo tagging to photos

On ios moments, geo tagging is amazing... Rather than just London for rxampe it will say St pauls Cathedral, London. OneDrive and windows phone just shows city location.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please alllow us to rename onedrive root folder name from "onedrive" to other name.

Currently when you add a link folder to the onedrive apps, it will create a subfolder call "onedrive" and start to sync the file in there.
    If only it just use the folder we put as the link folder and start to sync there.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Auto Check-Out / Check-In file types that don't support Co-Authoring

It would be great if the OneDrive Sync Client could be instructed to Check-Out any file type that doesn't support native co-authoring (i.e. DWG). At the moment, checking out a file is a manual process that must be performed on the web. while this does prevent file conflicts as any other user is restricted to opening the file as Read Only, it becomes an untenable option when someone is opening up a large number of files simultaneously (i.e a CAD drawing with a bunch of xrefs).

This doesn't only impact AutoCAD of course, it would be a good option to…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. OneDrive Client for Citrix

Release a OneDrive client for Citrix XenApp which doesn't rely on local cache.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to sync OneDrive with more than one hard drive

I have a laptop with a (small) solid state hard drive, and a couple of large external hard drives. And a ton of photos, videos etc on OneDrive. It would be impossible to sync all OneDrive with my laptop - and because I mainly use that for business I really just need Word, Excel, Powerpoint files etc. But I would like to be able to sync other files (like photos or videos) with an external hard drive. Right now I need to "pick one". But I want to be able to select which hard drive OneDrive is syncing with.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make OneDrive the default save location for Minecraft worlds

Makes it easy to load and save Minecraft worlds across devices.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Increase the maximum file size

Please increase the maximum file size that can be uploaded to Office 365 using the OneDrive desktop client, as the current limit of 15 GB is too limiting.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. LET ME DELETE ONEDRIVE BECAUSE I HATE IT

Omg do I hate onedrive. I have NO CLUE how to get rid of it but all of my Microsoft Office programs defer to it. It's the worst. When I want to back things up online I use Google Drive. Not Onedrive. Mainly because Google isn't always in my effing face about it's cloud program. I JUST WANT TO UNINSTALL THIS and still be able to use the Office programs for work. I want to press ctrl + S and be able to easily choose the file on my computer in which to save documents. Whatever your little system is…

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. notifications

on desktop onedrive can you add notifications for when a file is added or updated in a shared folder, like how dropbox does? thanks!

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. disable onedrive

allow the system admin to completely disable onedrive and cortana...they are annoying!

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Save xbox game progress to OneDrive

Game progress on OneDrive would allow the continuation of the game on another console with different disc of same game just by signing into the users OnedDrive account

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. OneDrive consistently duplicates files when using git

Consistently duplicates FETCH_HEAD when a tool like VSCode, github desktop, etc. has the directory for the repo open.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Move to OneDrive

Please, remove the "Move to OneDrive" context menu for each file.
    Keep clicking that stupid entry and not having a clue where my files did go >.<
    Undo doesn't work.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. slow,china,slow,

slow,china,slow,

up-20-30k
    down-100k
    my lan 20m

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base