OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Windows

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatic backup on Windows

Now that Onedrive haves 1 TB for Office 360 holders, give us the option to make a automatic onedrive back up, and of course that may need to increase the file limit more that only 2 GB.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create prioritization for files/folders.

Allow for users to set a prioritization of particular folders so to allow them to sync before everything else. Would be invaluable when using another device to have the files you set as high priority to download/upload before everything else.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OPTIONAL Automatically Pause Sync on Metered Connection

At the time of this writing, 06/19/2018, OneDrive sync will always pause automatically if a metered connection is detected. I understand the intention of this feature and how it can be helpful, but please make this feature optional by adding a checkbox in the settings menu that controls this feature. I think the community would like the ability to decide whether or not OneDrive automatically syncs on a metered connection.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to sync OneDrive with more than one hard drive

I have a laptop with a (small) solid state hard drive, and a couple of large external hard drives. And a ton of photos, videos etc on OneDrive. It would be impossible to sync all OneDrive with my laptop - and because I mainly use that for business I really just need Word, Excel, Powerpoint files etc. But I would like to be able to sync other files (like photos or videos) with an external hard drive. Right now I need to "pick one". But I want to be able to select which hard drive OneDrive is syncing with.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add OneDrive to Windows File Explorer Ribbon

Add OneDrive share and send-to options to the Windows File Explorer Ribbon. Use the existing Share tab or on add a new dedicated OneDrive tab.

Include:
    • Share on OneDrive
    • Share on OneDrive Business
    • Share on SharePoint

• Send to OneDrive
    • Send to OneDrive Business
    • Send to SharePoint

Also match these options with the right-click context-menu feature recently added to the Windows File Explorer.

Adding OneDrive to the File Explorer Ribbon will increase end-user awareness and discoverability.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. provide uninstall option for OneDrive

As per description, please provide uninstall option for OneDrive to fully remove the daemon and any possibility of data being moved to a non local storage environment.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to directly 'copy link' from right-click in a synced directory.

This option is available online and would save me a lot of time when working from my local sync directory. Currently, to copy the link of the directory I have open in Windows Explorer, I either have to:
    a) right click -> Share -> Type Someone's Name (because it won't let me just copy the link without specifying someone first which in itself is super annoying), then click 'copy link'; or
    b) right click -> View Online -> copy link from online

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add sync exception for folders

add sync exception for folders so some subfolders of a synced folder will not be synced to the cloud. for example I need to sync the 'my documents' folder, but qq and wechat forcefully store their programd data in this folder so as long as I have these I'm apps open I have to always sync tons of useless data.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow check in/ Check out when SharePoint document library has been synced to local machine using onedrive

Allow check in/ Check out when SharePoint document library has been synced to local machine using onedrive. When files are synchronised using onedrive, the check in, check out ribbon is not available. The files are displayed in read only. This makes onedrive useless for a lot of our customers.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable users to customize icons of synced folders (ger rid of annoying green check mark)

I am using Windows 10 enterprise evaluation edition.
    Previously on windows 8.1, there was no green check mark on folders being synced by Onedrive, and there was a blue syncing mark only on folders not yet synced by Onedrive, which was acceptable.

After upgrading to Windows 10, all icons of folders being synced by Onedrive has ANNOYING green check mark, and I couldn't find an option to manage this.

I was able to get rid of them by deleting every onedrive-related key in below registry addresses:

HKLM\Softwares\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

HKLM\Softwares\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

But after I remove those, Onedrive asks for a permission to install…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. OneDrive consistently duplicates files when using git

Consistently duplicates FETCH_HEAD when a tool like VSCode, github desktop, etc. has the directory for the repo open.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow sync to external devices

Currently, syncing OneDrive to an external device (Such as an external HDD) is unusable. It is impossible to keep synced up, and will constantly prompt for the user to to re-sync their OneDrive, defaulting to C:\Users[User]\OneDrive. After attempting this for a few months, I finally bit the bullet and accepted that syncing OneDrive to an external device is unusable in its current implementation.

To resolve this, I would suggest the following:

OneDrive remembers where it was synced - even if the drive is no longer present. So rather than starting the initial setup, the user would receive an error along…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow multiple personal OneDrive Accounts on each Device

It’s great being able to sync both my personal and business OneDrive accounts on each of my devices. We have several family members that share a single computer, but we are unable to have multiple personal accounts open at once. It would be great if multiple accounts could be open and synced at once.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. no material design button

As an application of this type you don't change between OneDrive business and OneDrive personal every second and you don't see the used storage every second, I'd make another swipe screen with into the graphic of used storage, the title will be " OneDrive personal" or " OneDrive business" and the button to switch to the other OneDrive. In my opinion the button in material design and the tile of the app home page are just wasted space. Plus make the transparent tile.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Offline Shared Folder Access

I would like to see files which are shared with me in the same manner I view my own files - within Windows Explorer.

If you want to get a large file when in a bad signal/wifi area, it becomes an aggravating mess.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. KFM - Exclude folders (Desktop) by GPO or registry

Known Folder Move on a user with multiple devices is a bit buggy. If multiple shortcuts with same name they will get duplicated on both devices etc.

Please add the ability to exclude folders, like \Desktop, from being included in the Known Folder Move.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support SAML (ADFS) Auth on SP2019 OnPrem for OneDrive Windows Client!!

Why OneDrive doesnt Support SAML on SP2019 On Prem?

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Increase file name character limit

People who have multiple folder layers and detailed file names are severely penalised by having the 260 / 400 character limit to a file name.

This is a poor limitation and is leading me to consider leaving the OneDrive service. I'm certain you can come up with a solution to increase this limit, remove it, or make it so that the file path isn't stored in the file name!

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. OneDrive Client for Citrix

Release a OneDrive client for Citrix XenApp which doesn't rely on local cache.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop (Sync, Files On-Demand)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow one drive to sync to Windows Phones.

Give us the option Allowing one drive to sync to Windows Phones like it does on a desktop. You gave us the ability put a 256 GB sd card in our phone let us use it. Also give option to allow Onenote to sync everything onto Windows Phone, instead of having to open every notebook section and wait for it to download. Some of us don't live in a big ol city with gigibit connection.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base