OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Mac

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• or
  1. Feature request

Hi, I just wanted to request a couple things. On the Mac onedrive, I'd love some sort of indicator letting me know which specific files are uploaded or in progress. And then in the iOS app, I'd love for it to look a little more in line with the os. I.e. No drop shadows in the icon, maybe change how the folders look. Something about the really angular folders feels a little too harsh and kind of ugly. I mean no offense I just thought I'd put my two cents in. The functionality is great! I'd just love…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Suggestions

On Mac:

1. Ability to move the OneDrive folder to another place

2. oneDrive app should be able to "move" whole structure

3. if folder is moved to external drive, e.g. SSD cards, app should stay in background if disk is not available

4. ability to keep different folders on different drives, yet show one single folder structure, to optimize data storage for computers with small internal drives

5. Ability to pause data upload on certain networks, or by menu

6. Ability to share / invite without going to site or mobile app

7. Direct link to personal oneDrive web page

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. OneDrive Config saved on OneDrive instead of Local Machine

Configuration of synchronized folders is lost if OneDrive needs to be reinstalled. Furthermore, config can't be copied. / kept in sync with other computers.

Proposal is to store the OneDrive & SharePoint configuration (all synchronized folders and all other settings) directly on User's OneDrive account. If OneDrive client is installed then end user can be asked if the configuration should be used or a new empty configuration should be created.

Backup & transfer of configuration is not possible or not easy to find. Anyway, persistence inside OneDrive makes even more sense.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot access Preferences during file synchronization

While synchronizing files, the OneDrive appears too busy and I can't access Preferences of OneDrive. This is a bit silly because I want to configure which folders to synchronize and I cannot until synchronization is finished.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. need help to move folder from one location to another one after delete the app on mac without logout.

seems it was locked by some unknown permissions as get prompts saying no permission to move or delete folder, except files inside it

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remove the unnecessary 'see more sharing options' and 'choose folders to sync' context menu options on macOS

The context menu update for macOS is very welcome, however two of the items are seemingly unnecessary.

'See more sharing options' is literally the same link as 'view online'.

'Choose folders to sync' opens up the setting in the app - this is not
    necessary and isn't really contextual if it's the same result for every single file. If I want to change the folders I'll just go to the app.

The 'Share a OneDrive link' is probably truly the only necessary context option, as it adds a feature previously not possible before. The rest just clog things…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow you to choose a folder in your mac (and PC) you just want the contents to be on the cloud

It would be great if could upload a folder to the one drive's cloud and only view its content on you mac (or PC). As long as you want some file from this folder, it would be automatically dowloaded.

This would be useful for people who doesn't have much space left in the hard drive and would like to share some content between the hard drive and the cloud

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Icon

onedrive for mac could have the synchronization status icons as well as on the pc indicating to the lay user whether the folder is synchronized or not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Why do I have to re-associate the OD4B sync folder on OSX whenever login attempts fail?

Right now if authentication fails to Office 365 (example no network connection) I am prompted to re-authenticate and re-associate my OD4B folder. This will be confusing and lead to user issues in a production environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. No sync status symbol on each folder on Mac, either green arrow or blue or what...WHY?

No sync status symbol on each folder on Mac, either green arrow or blue or what...
    WHY?

My Mac is with MacOS Catalina ver 10.15.6
    Onedrive is ver. 20.143.0716.0003

Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. How about making an application with the functionality of Dropbox.

How about fixing the restrictions on file and folder naming so it is not such a pain to use. Dropbox is the example to work to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. fix the plistbuddy command in your documentation

The plistbuddy commands to set a default ODfB folder are a) wrong b) don't work anway.
    Please fix the documentation and the client so that it respects the settings.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow me to mark files & folders as "Files on Demand" individually instead of the other way round.

Allow me to mark files & folders separately as "Files on demand". For example I have a 60Gb folder which I want to have the "files on demand" status as I don't open it regularly while I need the rest of my OneDrive folder to be accessible offline.

Currently I have to enable that for the whole folder and then individually mark it as offline accessibility, which is counter-intuitive. Most of my files will be uploaded to the drive my Mac which means it would be locally available as it is. However I want to offload a bunch of…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Onedrive Starts Syncing Before I can select folders to Sync

When you setup an exisitng Onedrive, I would like to be able to select the folders before Onedrive starts syncing. During the initial sync, I can't deselect any folder (it returns an error message).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. PLEASE SHOW SHARED FKNG FOLDER IN THE ONEDRIVE for MAC ! HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO EDIT TXT FILE ? Its 2021.

^ Above written clearly whats my issue. I cant edit txt file, this is really frustrating. I have to go web onedrive and download it. BUT IF I DOWNLOAD, HOW THE **** DO I COLLAB>???????

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a setting for 'how many files' constitute receiving a "Hey you deleted a lot of files" warning,

Any time I delete a folder with some number of files in it, I get a (welcome) message that I deleted a bunch of things. It would be nice to be able to set a threshold for this warning?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. MY GOD! Please add an easier way to copy onenote notebooks between OneDrive accounts!

In my entire life and being someone who is an ethical hacker and regularly roots Windows machines, I can tell you I've never met a challenge so arduous and disgustingly awful as trying to transfer a notebook from one onedrive account to another. I would rather drink bleach than be put through this process again and I think it's an honest testament to how much Microsoft just don't care about making people's life easier they just want moneyyyyyyy.

See I use a Mac (Yep Windows fanboys in this place are gonna want me dead) and there are probably many alternative…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. People I share a folder with are being required to sign up for an account? I do not want people to have to create an about or sign in.

I want people to be able to view/download folders that I share WITHOUT having to sign up or sign in!!!!!!!

They should just be able to follow the link, and go directly to the folder, and download the files!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make invisible full path of linked folders

The recipient of the linked folder can see the structure (path) of folders e.g. "My Documents/Uncle John pictures/Fake pictures/Party". The path is visible at the top. The recipient should see only the name "Party".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Better incremental sync with lots of files

In folders with a lot of files, syncing will sometimes get stuck. Clicking the icon will frequently beachball, but when it displays the spinner says "OneDrive is updating files..." indefinitely, often for tens of hours.

An easy way to trigger this behavior is to install a small project's node dependencies. Node_modules folders frequently contain thousands of files and OneDrive chokes trying to sync them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive on Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base