OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• or
  1. OneDrive

The OpenDrive app for mac should have the option to choose the path after initial setup was done. If you decide to move somewhere else in the Mac, this is not possible.
    Make the effort and let us to decide where will be located the folder.

I am a 365 user using all the best from Microsoft and Mac.

Thanks

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. OneDrive needs to add auto sync customer selected folders in Mac!!!

I manually drag the folders to my OneDrive to back up my documents in Mac every single day!! It's 2020, everyone else has auto-sync already. Microsoft you'd better hurry up or all loyal customers using Mac will gradually leave your cloud base services!

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow uploading Mac OS X Photos Library without the fat

Currently I keep my Photos Library inside the OneDrive folder. It gets synchronized just "fine", but as an exact file sync (expected! duh!).

However, the Mac Photos app keeps a DB file which gets updated apparently everyday, so everyday OneDrive is pushing ~300MB to the cloud. Worst, when viewing the photos online in OneDrive, it's showing me "doubles" cause it's showing the original and the thumbnails (not to mention face thumbnails from face recognition).

I like using the Photos app locally, but would like to ONLY sync the original photos to OneDrive. Feels like it's something the "OneDrive for…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add "Shared" parent folder to shared folders

For folders/files that have been shared then "added to my onedrive", please place these under a "Shared" parent folder so that it is clear which are our own and which are shared files/folders.

For example: If Joe shares folder Crayons with me, and I add it to my Onedrive, it appears as ./Crayons. Please change this to ./Shared/Crayons.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Sharing files with Mac users

My business has both Windows and Mac users and the Mac users are unable to sync locally the shared business files - only their own personal files. It's made collaboration using OneDrive almost unusable. It seems the same thing happens with OneDrive for business on the iPhone - my users can't see the shared folders. Nightmare. Please fix these issues.

157 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Offline files MacOS

The MacOS app should be similar to the iOS app. You should be able to see all files within OneDrive (name and folders) only with some sort of icon (or grayed out) to show they are not available locally. Once double clicked, they are downloaded and opened.
    There should be a cache amount on settings. Say, 50GB. OneDrive auto keeps the last 50GB downloaded or accessed on my Mac locally. As the 50GB is reached, the files that have not been acessed for the longest time gets deleted locally (available on the cloud) and the new one requested is…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Sync locally files or folder shared by people outside of my organization

Actually it's impossible to sync locally files or folder shared by people outside of my organization. Could be very useful

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Icon for when one/some file(s) in a folder are downloaded

When in finder, a cloud icon appears when files are stored in the cloud. However, this icon appears on folders even when a single file is available offline within that folder. An icon for folders that have single or several files downloaded within would be helpful in determining what has been downloaded and where it's located when viewing your files in Finder.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Preserving Mac OS X (file system) tags and extended attributes (xattr)

Unless I am missing something, it appears as if OneDrive is not honoring and preserving file system tags (see [1]) or even extended attributes (see [2]).
    Granted, these features are difficult to maintain over different OS and file system types. But if files and folders are synchronized within the same environment, it is very disturbing, to say the very least, to see this (meta) data simply discarded by OneDrive.

Thank you.

[1] https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/MacOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/MacOSX109.html#//appleref/doc/uid/TP40013207-SW11
    [2] https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/xattr.1.html

408 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. All mp3/m4a files are automatically downloading when using File-OnDemand

Files on Demand downloads all files in folders that contain mp3 and m4a files. If you even look into the folder to see what is in it, all of the mp3 and m4a files are automatically downloaded.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. OneDrive installation on AFPS

Hi, I recently subscribed to O365, but cannot install OneDrive on my MacBook. The install goes fine until it needs to create a local folder to sync with, then I get the error that it cannot install because my file system is case sensitive, which it is. My research so far could not assist at all, and as I understand AFPS is designed to be case sensitive, and this is the way my machine was bought. Can you please investigate the possibility to allow OneDrive to install on a case sensitive volume, as I can do with DropBox and ownCloud?

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. folder name on my laptop

let the customer have the right to change his local folder name
    because I run many codes from my folder
    so some character make a problem if it is in the file path like (^/@) so how can change the folder name
    original name from one drive : "OneDrive - My School Name (@.edu) (myemail@.edu)"
    I hope to be without space: "myfirstname" or any name I choose
    thanks

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reduce the number of steps to get to "Choose Folders" screen

I am constantly dipping in and out of the "Choose Folders" to sync screen. I think there are too many steps to get to it in my opinion. It would be great if we could reduce the number of clicks and menus required.

When working on certain projects, or if I need to reference an old project I use the "Choose Files" window to download only that folder from my OneDrive. It would greatly speed up my workflow if getting hold of project files could be simpler.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Delete or Keep on OneDrive

once you delete a folder or file on your one drive on a mac the file is deleted as well on the one drive cloud storage, this is not handy and it should have an option to decide what to do, because the benefit to have a cloud storage is to keep the files remotely and not locally, I suggest to give us the option to decide if:
    Delete and keep (Mac - OneDrive)
    Completely delete (Both sides)
    keep and delete (OneDrive -Mac)

The only way that i had to do to accomplish this was quoting one drive (shutting down)…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Finder Integration for synced SharePoint sites

Finder Integration of the OneDrive.app works for the (personal) OneDrive folder only, right now. Please, enable Finder Integration for folders of SharePoint sites synced via OneDrive.app as well.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ignore files and folders from sync

Can we have a decade old idea to ignore some files and folders from sync?

e.g. .gitignore or .nosync files

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Syncing with OneDrive for Business on mac app NOT available?!

The fact that our business is now going to be paying hundreds of dollars to Microsoft and not being able to have a syncing ability for shared folders/files is UNREASONABLE! Macs are a business targeted computer option and being that the Business option for OneDrive does not have a full functionality is ridiculous. We are in the process of moving over from DropBox and this set-back is really making me want to let our CEO know that moving over to OneDrive may be a grave mistake. Knowing that people and businesses have been addressing this concern for months now…

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stop syncing a folder while its downloading

Changes to synced folder must take effect immediately, even when a folder isn't fully downloaded.

I forgot to tell the app not to sync a huge folder. Now it is taking a LONG TIME trying to download it, and won't allow to change that folder to not sync until it has completed. This is crippling my system!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. First class support for macOS AutoSave feature

Many macOS applications I use as part of my workflows while operating on documents I keep in OneDrive synced folders use the built in macOS Auto Save feature (which includes the ability to revert to previous versions of a file) and OneDrive has some compatibility issues with this feature. I cannot keep "Use Office applications to sync Office files that I open" turned on because otherwise the afore mentioned AutoSAve-ing applications often interrupt my work with modal windows telling that "the document could not be saved. The file has been changed by another application."

Would be really nice if…

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive on Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base