OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Mac

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

• or
  1. Let me Share after I open a file from my local OneDrive

I love having OneDrive for Business on the Mac. I have noticed that whenever I open a file from the OneDrive folder, I cannot share it using the Share button in Office applications. I get a message that says the file must be saved to the cloud first. If I open the same file using "File > Open" and navigate in that dialog to the "cloud location" of the file, then I can Share the file just fine. It would be really helpful if I could share regardless of how I opened it.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow excluding files and folders by pattern. For example, exclude all the .ipynb-checkpoint folders.

Allow excluding files and folders by pattern. For example, exclude all the .ipynb-checkpoint folders. GitHub has the .gitignore file, for example.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. A better SharePoint synced folders system

Microsoft OneDrive client for Mac is wiping my account and asking for a new login every 2 months (mostly when i upgrade), and ALWAYS, i MEAN ALWAYS looses all my synced folders i have with my company SharePoint. It's truly frustrating how bad this is.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. show un-synced files and folders

It would be awesome if there was an option to show un-synced files and folders. Perhaps they would be greyed out or have an "x" on the icon. This would allow me to see files I have removed from my computer, but still live in the could, without me needing to go into a web browser to see them.

Perhaps there could also be an option that if you clicked on that file it would prompt you to see if you want to download it.

This could be an optional VIEW feature, not engaged by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. OneDrive installation on AFPS

Hi, I recently subscribed to O365, but cannot install OneDrive on my MacBook. The install goes fine until it needs to create a local folder to sync with, then I get the error that it cannot install because my file system is case sensitive, which it is. My research so far could not assist at all, and as I understand AFPS is designed to be case sensitive, and this is the way my machine was bought. Can you please investigate the possibility to allow OneDrive to install on a case sensitive volume, as I can do with DropBox and ownCloud?

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Exempt this file."

Exempt a single file, especially when seeing it 'in proccessing' by OneDrive.

Like a dog with a bone, the app/widget will find some big VM disk file that's 8GB, and just start crunching away on it forever.
    When I see it's working on it in the list, I want to be able to 'skip for a while.' (so it processes other things), and I want a "skip forever, or never sync this file." button.

"Manage my folders." Doesn't seem to cut it, as I keep exempting that folder and it keeps finding these files anyway.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Sync Shared Folders on New Mac app cleint

The new Mac app client states that shared folders will not sync. However, in the UserVoice, Jason Moore says that they will sync. What is the status of this?

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. This is the most spammy software I have ever had invade my operating system.

This is the most spammy software I have ever had invade my operating system.

Stop trying to constantly log me in. I will decide when I am ready to log in, thanks.

Stop changing the focus back to your folder in Finder. I am busy trying to do work and dont want to be constantly re-focused on what your spammy software is doing, or as is the case mostly, not doing, I will decide when I want to use/look at/tab to/ focus on your software - which is never because it GETS IN THE WAY OF ME DOING ACTUAL WORK

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support for MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

Due to Apple's new privacy and security measures in the Mac OS file system in their upcoming version 10.15 Catalina. OneDrive can no longer function properly due to no longer having full access the the drive despite enabling full disk access in System Preferences. OneDrive will not be able to locate the main folder due to the 10.15 now having two separate volumes by default. One is for the MacOS system files and the other is your data drive. I'm not sure what other problems are causing OneDrive to not work but I hope it is fixed before 10.15 is…

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. OneDrive on OSX should have the option to not launch at startup.

in OSX, I want OneDrive NOT to launch on startup. I don't want to see the icon in the white menu bar at the top of the screen unless I go into the Application folder and 'manually' launch OneDrive. I don't want Onedrive immediately engaging the cloud on startup. With Dropbox I have this set. The DB icon is in my Dock. Dropbox synchs ONLY when I tell it to. I want Onedrive to allow this same level of control. Its a great product but unless I can prevent auto launch I'll only be using Onedrive for extra STORAGE in…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Moving Folders in Sharepoint for Mac Users

Please can you let Mac users having the ability to move folders and copy folders in SharePoint like Windows users have.

I was refereed to the Document Connector by MS support, but you can't do it through there.

Its a shame that Mac Users have such limited tools and it makes everything a chore to do. GoogleDocs is so much easier in comparison.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add more protection against OD missing local files to be sychronized

Every time I need to do a total reset of the OD client on my computer (due to the many times this https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913525-onedrive-on-mac/suggestions/32803531-cpu-usage-too-high-in-high-sierra?page=8&per_page=20 has happened, I always preserve my local content and set a new location for the OD folder. Once it has downloaded all of what OD has, I compare old vs new and always find hundreds of files which OD has missed (either not deleted or created). You have to beef up your monitoring for anything that was missed.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Files in synced folders - Preview with spacebar

Files in synced folders cannot be previewed with the space bar on Mac. This is a bit annoying. As well Adobe file formats are not supported.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Sync Documents, Desktop etc folders to OneDrive Option

Just like OneDrive for Windows has with the Auto Save tab 'Protect your important folders' that would allow you to automatically back up anything saved to Documents, Desktop and Pictures folder, I'd love for it to be an option for Mac. Even a step further where additional folders could be selected by the user.

As an admin that manages a number of users on mac, it's been a bit of a push to get users across and some of them are never going to do it the 'right' way and save into their OneDrive. By having this…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix FilesOnDemandEnabled scriptable

Many of our users have a LOT of files in their OnDrive folder. When the client starts for the first time, it will by default start to synchronize everything, which makes the client unresponsive and the computer running extremely hot.
    For this reason I would like to enable Files On Demand when I install it.

I tried to run:
    defaults write com.microsoft.OneDrive-mac FilesOnDemandEnabled -bool TRUE

which seems to work, but which also has the side effect, that the user can now no longer switch the setting back later if he wants to.

The lower part of the Preferences panel…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Redirect MS office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) to the online version

When I open Word files using OneDrive for Mac, they open as local files, causing me to lose out on functionality that I would get if I had pointed Word directly to the online file (such as the ability to use the Share menu to share the file or collaborative editing capabilities).

Were I to open the same file from within Word by selecting Open, then going to my connected OneDrive account (not the local folder), then finding my file, I would get all of these nice online sharing features.

While I've only tested this with Word, I'm guessing…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Include functionality to upload from other folders

We have a use case where our internal hard drives are small (256-512Gb) and relatively full. External drives were used for additional storage for a while and many users have over 1Tb used. We are now deprecating the use of external drives in favor of OneDrive for Business for many good reasons, but the transition is proving extremely difficult. Our users are unable to upload much less sync that data because their internal drives are unable to hold that full amount of data.
    Need some mechanism (can/should be a one-time user-initiated thing) that can upload directly to OneDrive from a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Choose Sync Quantity Items at the same time

Hello,
    I travel a lot and not always have the best internet connection, so I think will be positive if I can choose how many items are synchronizing at the same time because I usually sync videos more than 1GB-4GB and if OneDrive tries to upload 10 at the same time, this never success, so I have to move all videos one by one to the OneDrive folder and waiting to do the end one by one.

For big files, I think is better if we can choose how many files OneDrive can synchronize at the same time.

Think about…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. OneDrive Stuck Synching errors should be reported effectively

OneDrive for Mac gets stuck - most commonly when a file is located in a shared folder which for some reason the user running the OneDrive process does not have Read/Write access to. It does not report this error, it simply gets stuck, uses high levels of CPU and writes new log files every 30 seconds or so.

There is no way to see the file causing the issue - a problem if you have lots of Sharepoint sites synching and you don't know where the issue is.

It should provide an easy mechanism to see the file that is…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow uploading Mac OS X Photos Library without the fat

Currently I keep my Photos Library inside the OneDrive folder. It gets synchronized just "fine", but as an exact file sync (expected! duh!).

However, the Mac Photos app keeps a DB file which gets updated apparently everyday, so everyday OneDrive is pushing ~300MB to the cloud. Worst, when viewing the photos online in OneDrive, it's showing me "doubles" cause it's showing the original and the thumbnails (not to mention face thumbnails from face recognition).

I like using the Photos app locally, but would like to ONLY sync the original photos to OneDrive. Feels like it's something the "OneDrive for…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive on Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base