OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive on Mac?

Allow the mac version to install OneDrive folder at removable disk

A lot of macs have expensive and limited SSDs and it would be convenient to be able to put the OneDrive folder at a external drive.

1,614 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kun Liu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

146 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Athan InStatic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned in my previous comments, this works for me with no issue - On my mojave mac, I am using a 2TB toshiba usb3 drive with no issue - the drive is formatted Mac Os Extended (Journaled)
    - I am using Onedrive personal as well as Onedrive business

- A couple months ago I was also using Onedrive (personal and business) on my laptop which has High Sierra, with an external usb seagate drive (I think this one was formatted exfat, BUT because mac sucks when you accidentally unplug a drive, I got tired of trying to recover files and I purchased an internal SSD for that laptop.

-Thumb drive is still not possible BUT external hard drive it is.

• CH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy fix:
    After installation,
    quit OneDrive app,
    copy the OneDrive folder to a external hard drive.

Delete the original OneDrive folder.

Start OneDrive app that will say that it can't find the folder and choose to go through the installation procedure again.
    In this situation you can choose another location, point to where you copied the OneDrive folder on th external drive, answer some questions from the installer and, boom.
    Done.
    Double check via the OneDrive app =
    "More.."-> Preferences -> Acount -> Manage -> Choose folders and in the bottom part of the window you will see the path to the OneDrive location which should be too the external drive.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, u are a shithouse, unable to solve any mayor problem that ur customers have. just drop dead and leave the cloud business to professionals like dropbox... (well, anybody other than micrsoft does it better)

Microsoft, u are a shithouse, unable to solve any mayor problem that ur customers have. just drop dead and leave the cloud business to professionals like dropbox... (well, anybody other than Microsoft does it better)

• Craig Weems commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we sure that aka Jason Moore still works at MS? Could we be sending comments to an email address that was dead years ago? His LinkedIn profile is still up but it doesn't reflect any fresh info. He has (or had) 500 connections. I don't know any of them but perhaps other commenters might find they share a connection and they can attempt a back channel contact. I found a MS video with someone claiming to be Jason Moore, but who knows? He was being interviewed but it seemed that he was more involved with Office 365 and SharePoint. What I really don't understand is that I expect that it took effort to bar the use of removable media. Allowing removable media use would appear to be the easy way to go. So what does MS gain from denying its use?

• DMc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please sort this out! How long can this take? You've done it for PC.

• James Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI folks .. I read that someone got this to work by having OneDrive not start up automatically with the computer at startup and manually starting up OneDrive instead. Has anyone confirmed this?

• James Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please ad this feature, if you are can you say a time frame as I am not considering to cancel my OneDrive and find an alternative. :(

• Athan InStatic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working for me on USB hard drives, on High Sierra and Mojave. I remember I tried a thumbdrive in the past and didnt work but not sure now if it works.

Not only to put the folder on the external drive, but also sync everything on this drive to cloud

• Bogdan Oancea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the age of the cloud, MS leaves their products in the dust
    Please THINK and add this **** simple feature

Is this resolved yet? one reason I do not use OneDrive even though I pay for the Office 365 suite. You'd think they could add this feature down their roadmap. Dropbox still is the winner here...

is this for real?
    Thought this would solve some issues for me but I guess not.

• Glen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, I have limited space on my Mac book Air

• Mitch Pickelsimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this feature for my MacBook Air. The MBA has an SD card slot. I would love to mount an SD card and sync my onedrive folder(s) to it. I only have an 80 GB SSD so syncing to my 128 GB SD card on my MacBook Air would be fabulous.

It is a little bit confusing and strange, because it works with USB external drives and external HDD, but does not work with ejectable SD card in my Macbook Air card reader port.
    I do not understand why SD card is "worse" to sync Onedrive folder than other external USB drives?

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a shame. I have just upgraded to the pay version (1 TB space) and now I cannot use it fully because I cannot store locally the files. It would be perfect if I could have my 2TB USB drive to run OneDrive instead of my 256 GB SSD. Now, I can barely use 10% of what I am paying for... This MUST be fixed asap!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base