OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive on Mac?

Allow the mac version to install OneDrive folder at removable disk

A lot of macs have expensive and limited SSDs and it would be convenient to be able to put the OneDrive folder at a external drive.

1,333 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kun Liu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

116 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe a better term would be "mirror" versus sync. I have a Macbook Pro with a limited hard drive, and I would be like to be able to mirror my OneDrive account in Finder. I don't want to sync, because I don't want copies of the files on both systems. I haven't got the space. DropBox does this with no issues, but my storage there is limited as well. It is looking like Google is my only option if this is not a priority for Microsoft.

• Mark Savage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous, our office is mostly Windows, with a few Mac computers and we all use Office 365 Suite - so, windows is making plenty of money here! The fact that we cannot sync with OneDrive is making us think outside the Microsoft Bubble Monopoly and never use Microsoft EVER AGAIN! You should all look into Google Drive - just sayin'

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really surprised to learn that I can't sync OneDrive to SD on my Mac. This seems like it would be an important feature for a large percentage of users... for me, it is critical at this point. Please add this function!

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just switched to a Mac and totally got surprised (in a bad way) that this is not possible yet. Hope you implement it very soon or I'll have to check for other cloud storage options :-(

• Erika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be basic functionality. If this is possible for Windows users, it should be implemented also for mac users as soon as possible

Have a small old main drive on my old Macbook Air. Also have a huge SD card that I use (via aliases etc.) as a supplementary drive. Would rather use OneDrive than have to use iCloud Drive or DropBox for this purpose.

• Nirav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad I found this page. I've been going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't do this on my mac.

This should be basic functionality.
        I need it for my macbook air with small ssd...

• Paolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, unfortunately, I am forced to change the system because I use a macbook pro and I need to install it on an external hd

• Plaid Radish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature. I have dropped my OneDrive storage accounts and reverted to the free account, until Microsoft adds the ability to sync to an external drive. Cloud storage space is often used by consumers who want the peace of mind of off-site backup. For those of us who need local copies of those off-site, backed-up files, but who don't have the needed hard disk storage space to keep them on our OS drive, an external storage solution is crucial. Not being able to sync those files to OneDrive prohibits use of Microsoft's cloud services.

PLEASE, can someone push this feature forward?

• Kyle McDougall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on! I want to be able to sync and share data in the same way as other services. In this case I have all data on a thunderbolt raid, it's just over 600GB, I want the One Drive folder to be at a root level on the raid but the app will not allow me. This is so that devices like iPads can access Word/Excel easily and make live updates with clients, All data will be available through sharepoint without the need for using the VPN and so forth. We use Office 365 Business Premium and E3 but OneDrive is pointless to us whilst like this. We can use at a workstation level but colleagues as a whole keep all data in the correct structure on the Server as they're supposed to for logical access, security and backup!

I can't believe this issue has been still not fixed for more than 4 years now. God..they surely take their users' feedback seriously.

• Ulysses commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though this works for me the handling of this needs to improved a lot.

I had the following issues:

Due to some fluke, I'm guessing a short disconnect of my local drive, the app wiped my whole one drive and then in return my local data as well. Thanks to the trashbin I could recover my data but the whole resync will take ages.

Another issue is that one drive pretty much forgets all local settings if the local drive isn't present when starting the app. Even when I close the app, connect the drive and restart the app it will request that I provide a new one drive location.

It's a really horrible user experience.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base