OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive on Mac?

Allow the mac version to install OneDrive folder at removable disk

A lot of macs have expensive and limited SSDs and it would be convenient to be able to put the OneDrive folder at a external drive.

1,474 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kun Liu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

133 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Glen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, I have limited space on my Mac book Air

• Mitch Pickelsimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this feature for my MacBook Air. The MBA has an SD card slot. I would love to mount an SD card and sync my onedrive folder(s) to it. I only have an 80 GB SSD so syncing to my 128 GB SD card on my MacBook Air would be fabulous.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a little bit confusing and strange, because it works with USB external drives and external HDD, but does not work with ejectable SD card in my Macbook Air card reader port.
        I do not understand why SD card is "worse" to sync Onedrive folder than other external USB drives?

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a shame. I have just upgraded to the pay version (1 TB space) and now I cannot use it fully because I cannot store locally the files. It would be perfect if I could have my 2TB USB drive to run OneDrive instead of my 256 GB SSD. Now, I can barely use 10% of what I am paying for... This MUST be fixed asap!!!

This actually does work for me. However, I would like to see better support / handling for this.

For instance, when I eject my external drive, OneDrive doesn't need to freak out. It should just notify me that I'm no linger syncing because the drive cannot be found and allow me to either leave it alone or go to settings and change my OneDrive location.

Maybe even allow me to "Relink" OneDrive.

It should be harder to change the location of OneDrive than to leave it alone. I don't want an error window to pop up that only gives me the option of changing my OneDrive location or quitting.

• DJ B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just make a folder alias. Command option while dragging. Works fine.

• Menno de Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a 2018 Mac Mini with Mojave and it let me choose my thunderbolt 3 disk as OneDrive folder.
        Syncing works fine.
        The only problem I am facing, is that the drive does not mount correctly. It mounts the drive in read only. I can see the drive in disk utility, I first have to unmount it and then mount it (which is cumbersome). After that it works, until the Mac goes, and comes back from sleep. The same issue happens. Because the drive does not mount, I have to quit OneDrive and after starting it again, it scan all my data again (which takes quite some time for 3TB on a LaCie disk).

So it seems that Microsoft is working on it. The solution does not seem to work 100%.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously Microsoft!? This is a MAJOR flaw. I have a permanent flash drive connected to my macbook air and I can't put onedrive on it? I have dropbox as well, seems I just have to stop using Microsoft.

Why this question at all? I easily use external HDD as a target for OneDrive sync. What is a problem for everybody

Why do this only because of taking more money for apple! But it had made so much money from us!

• Sue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe a better term would be "mirror" versus sync. I have a Macbook Pro with a limited hard drive, and I would be like to be able to mirror my OneDrive account in Finder. I don't want to sync, because I don't want copies of the files on both systems. I haven't got the space. DropBox does this with no issues, but my storage there is limited as well. It is looking like Google is my only option if this is not a priority for Microsoft.

• Mark Savage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous, our office is mostly Windows, with a few Mac computers and we all use Office 365 Suite - so, windows is making plenty of money here! The fact that we cannot sync with OneDrive is making us think outside the Microsoft Bubble Monopoly and never use Microsoft EVER AGAIN! You should all look into Google Drive - just sayin'

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base