OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive on Mac?

Sync via symbolic links

In Dropbox I just create bunch of symbolic links to my Downloads, Documents & Desktop folders so that my stuffs will be safe with me always.

Looking for the similar treatment from OneDrive too :p

Cheers

178 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an old thread and they’re still no solution. Shame on you, Microsoft!

• TGBX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, no, no, no, no. DON"T do symbolic links. Just give it the capability of targeting native, default folders. Syncplicity, for example, can do this. Symbolic links can be a problem. If they become invalid, the OS gets into a panic and you end up jamming up login and other processes, applications generate errors and so on. Users shouldn't have to know how to create a symbolic link to use capability like this.

• Raymond DeGennaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing that prevents OneDrive from being literally 100% useless is that it's needed to work-around the crippling of OneNote by excluding the use of local export. Between the lack of support for all legal Mac Filenames and the need for everything to be under the OneDrive folder, I really can't use OneDrive for much of anything.

There is no reason for this. Symbolic Links and Aliases have been part of the macOS for almost 20 years. Aliases had been part of the Mac Classic since System 7 (1991) and symbolic links part of *nix since the '80s. Google Drive and DropBox have no troubles following symbolic links.

• benjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really a blocker for me too as it's preventing me from syncing with my NAS

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If symbolic links too hard, please can we add folders from anywhere on the OS?

My personal issue is I have about 40,000 files organised for pro-audio applications like Logic and Ableton Live. If I move the root folder to a new Onedrive folder, all my songs break as the file paths for samples have moved. It would take me weeks to remap everything.

I'm using Dropbox with symbolic links but I'd rather just use my Onedrive but this is a deal breaker.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It works but only sync files when OneDrive started or when file was alerted at another computer which has it directly in OneDrive folder.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Symbolic links would ensure we do not have to move and redirect most of the folders in user land.

Feedback and Knowledge Base