OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve OneDrive on Mac?

CPU Usage too high in High Sierra

MacOs 10.13.2
CPU Usage is too high while using one drive.
Please correct!

1,145 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jürgen Karl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

147 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ceka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same on Mojave 10.14.3. You guys burn ONE CORE the whole time. It's so frustrating using OneDrive by starting it once a day and then end it to use my Mac without fan and battery drainage. PLEASE FIX THIS.

• Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still have that problem. On my new MBP 2018 13, because of onedrive it takes 30min to get the battery from 100% to 80%. Fans are running on full speed and CPU usage over 100% by just that onedrive process. Is there a solution anyhow. I really want to use onedrive... but like this it is impossible.

• Matt Clare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear OneDrive,

In that past, there were files with a names you couldn't handle. You alerted me. I fixed it.

If there's a problem again you have to tell me, because we can't keep going on like this.

Your concerned friend,
        Matt

• Matt Clare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many CPU cycles spent, so little files sync'ed.

A seeming endless "OneDrive is updating files..." message, but my battery isn't endless.

• Suman Ghosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was facing this problem. CPU usage by OneDrive was very high resulting in high battery usage and Macbook getting heated up.

After checking the one drive I found, few files had sync issue because of special characters in the file name. I corrected them and now I find OneDrive CPU usage is normal and the heating issue is not appearing any more. Today morning i did this and currently things looks fine.

Not sure if this will solve all problems, but I got a good result with this exercise.

• ChrisB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

page after page of complaints yet not one message from One Drive / Microsoft to any of their customers rightly complaining.
        I'm giving them a couple of days to at least respond or I'm off! I'm not paying for a service like this. What are the alternatives out there?
        Sorry to sound dumb, but if I uninstall this app off my iMac I take it that my files won't sync anymore? In other words, if I worked on a file on my iPad Pro downstairs and saved to OneDrive and then came upstairs to use my iMac, will it not sync that newer file if I don't have their app from the Mac App Store on the iMac?

• Simon Bramwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Massive battery drain when using OneDrive. It will drain the battery from 100% in under an hour. The fan runs constantly and the macbook gets hot. When I quit OneDrive, everything settles down to normal.
        OneDrive has become unusable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please look into this issue and resolve it. It looks like you're willfully ignoring a bug that's specific to Mac users. Don't be an ******* and fix your product!!!

• Alvaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why so much CPU???? Running the latest version with files on demand on the latest Mac OS. Why is Microsoft not looking into this?

• Reluctant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

onedrive uses too much CPU 100% to do nothing. please fix.

macbook pro 13" retina 2013, macos Sierra 10.12.6

• eeWee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm that restarting ONEDrive did the trick for me. It went from 100% and above CPU usage even when just sitting on the dock to 0% when not syncing.
        Thanks.

• Roel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I don't restart OneDrive after boot, my battery will only last half a day. With a restart it will last twice as long.

Yes, also happens in Mojave, and I have nothing to sync. It's been normal after i restart Onedrive.

same problem. wonder why my MacBook Pro 13" cpu fan keep spinning & battery dropped fast. Turn OneDrive off solved the problem.Now configured :Uncheck open at login.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base