Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

336 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Idk WHAT microsoft is doing all day. Seriously. Like where is all the money going. What are the hundreds of engineers doing. It is unbelievable how long problems have to last in microsoft's ecosystem before being half-bake addressed. There are companies that are a fraction of a fraction of a fraction the size of microsoft but produce more updates and fixes to their software in one month than microfost does in 10 years. Like who is auditing this company's internal performance.
    Not to mention all the stuff with office collaboration and sharepoint. Absolutely infuriating. We spend more time debugging and manually syncing files than we do actually getting work done. What are we paying for monthly. It makes zero sense.

• Lorenzo Cattaneo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So...files on demand. Done. Ok.
    March was a long time ago, and no we have:
    - FOD was disabled by default. Upon enabling it, immediately I see a sync problem.
    - file preview on files not working. It shows a low res thumbnail, and a button to open the file
    - preview on images not working. Not even a thumbnail, just an endless spinner. Impressive
    - ok, so file preview clearly needs works. Let’s double click and open the file. Oh no, wait! Let’s PERMANENTLY download the ENTIRE file first. Then open it. So perfect for videos! And when you finally close the file you have the lovely task to right-click on it and free space. Every time. Magical.

But, you know, considering that
    - fast ring had FOD since September 2018
    - major competitors have those (basic) functionalities covered
    I’d say no problem, let’s all jump aboard the “BOOM! IT’S DONE” train. So comfy.

I've seen periodical updates on the App Store, but the only VISIBLE improvement since March is that now disk space is being correctly calculated. It's way too little for this much time. All the stuff I mentioned was beta material.

Btw, I’m using a 3rd party software called Mountain Duck. Their smart sync works better than yours. I can see previews. And I can stream videos. Sooo yeah, using that one until you fix the official client. Maybe next year.

p.s. I edited this comment once and the text was duplicated several times. Editing again didn’t work. I had to delete the comment and re-send it a second time for it to show correctly. Please also fix this platform?!

• 坂村勲 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Rob said, Mac OS is reading the full size of the folders as used storage instead of the actual size on disk... I don't know if this is an issue that you can fix, but Im just worried that the larger my cloud storage gets, the more complications it can have on my Mac.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On top of the comments about the reliability of the GUI items like the sync icons and context menu options; it seems that Mac OS is reading the full size of the folders towards used storage instead of the actual on disk items. Not sure if this something that can be fixed with OneDrive or if it's a Mac OS level thing to fix.

• Anders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having major problems getting the FOD-function to work for files and folders synced from Sharepoint. Mojave 10.14.14
    Finally got the FOD to work for the users onedrive files and folders but not for synced Sharepoint

• César commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better revert that "BOOM! IT'S DONE" because it isn't and just creates confusion and a negative image of the app. It is obviously a half baked release that is missing overlay icons to at least know what is synced, syncing or just online, It is not even capable os showing a file preview as an icon.

• Simon Perdrisat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was thinking to activate my account again. But I read a couple of comments first. Still doesn't seem to be intuitive or efficient.

It's not "boom it's done" but more "ok, we have a first prototype".

• Alastair Bor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive should work on a block level like DropBox. It should only sync and update incremental changes to blocks not whole files.

• Cam Nielsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to be okay but not as fast as Google file stream. Also the purchase offerings is horribly complex with dozens of names with no clear heirarchy discernable to the customer.

Also ditto to Andy's comment below.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleting files using Finder seems to require downloading the file and then moving it to Trash, which is inefficient especially for large files. Deleting via website works much faster, except you have to navigate to the website to do it.

Would be great to see deleting in Finder optimized so that the file doesn't need to be downloaded.

• Anne-Marie Czajkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't see placeholders for Files-On-Demand in OneDrive Finder Folder (Mac) - Please help!

I have a Mac Airbook with Mojave 10.14.1

Initially I had OneDrive fully synced with my Mac. I could see green ticks next to all the folders/files in the OneDrive Mac Folder in Finder to indicate everything was synced. I can also see everything online in OneDrive when checking my online OneDrive account. All is good.

However, I want to use the Files-On-Demand because the Mac storage is very small.

I double tapped (right clicked) and had the option "Choose OneDrive folders to sync". I chose only one file to sync to the Mac (My "Desktop" file).

Suddenly, my OneDrive Mac Folder in Finder was completely empty except for the "Desktop" folder. This folder has a green tick and so do the files inside. Everything else, however, had been moved to the Trash! Luckily, when checking online, I found all the files/folders there safely in the OneDrive online account. I can "Choose OneDrive folders to sync" and still get the option to choose which files/folders I want to download from the OneDrive Online but there are no placeholders in the Finder OneDrive Folder.

How do I get placeholders for the Files-On-Demand in OneDrive on the Mac in the OneDrive Finder Folder please?

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just signed up for One Drive and downloaded the latest app on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.3... and oh my goodness, the File On Demand feature is really not intuitive.

When I click 'Free Up Space', I would expect to see some sort of feedback telling me the file has been offloaded. But, no, the file size still states (in my case a video file) 1.5gb which is very deceptive. I tried to preview the file and it doesn't play... because it's obviously actually offloaded. Double clicking to open it brings up a pop up downloading said file... meaning, the file HAS been offloaded but there is no way the user knows this because it still shows up as the full file size in Finder.

Now, don't go blaming Mac OS for this. If a third party app like ODRIVE (yup it's called ODRIVE) can create a placeholder (with a filername.cloud extension) with a slightly different icon and having the size show as up zero bytes, why can't a proper tech company like Microsoft do this? Surely it isn't that hard to deliver a properly baked product to your Mac users?

• Toby White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update - relaunching Finder does seem to bring back the right click context menu but it's not very stable.

• Toby White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not seeing any of the right-click context items for OneDrive.

Running Mojave 10.14.2 and have a user on 10.14.3 with the same issue.

OneDrive version 19.002.0107.008 (Standalone).

Any ideas?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using "Files on Demand" on Mac (available in OneDrive 19.002...) and I have encountered a problem with placeholder files being reported as occupying their full, theoretical disk space (as if the file was fully downloaded) This would not normally be a big problem but the Storage Management section in About This Mac is reporting these figures too, making storage management a difficult proposition as the calculated figures are based on the actual file sizes, not the true space taken on the disk by the placeholders.... Any thoughts or projected fix on this?

(You need to follow the link above if you want to give FOD a go)

Macbook Pro early 2015, Mac OS 10.14.3, OneDrive app 18.240.1202.0004 - and still not working! File on demand button don't show up in app preferences. Finder menu doesn't show "Always keep on device" and "free up space". Come on Microsoft, you can't be serious about such a bad release. Who's doing testing and quality control? Let's fix this asap!

I cannot switch on files on-demand, because there is no "button" in the preferences menu. I am running latest version of Mojave and downloaded OneDrive with FOD today.

I forgot to mention: I am running Sharepoint.

I cannot switch on files on-demand, because there is no "button" in the preferences menu. I am running latest version of Mojave and downloaded OneDrive with FOD today.

@Pierre Trudel, thanks for the advice about the special characters and sharepoint sync problems. for me it wasnt the team name, but when syncing sharepoint libraries, onedrive adds the name of the library like eg. Documents. in my case it added the equivalent in japanese and that prevented it from working proberly

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base