OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Mac

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

1. Offline files MacOS

The MacOS app should be similar to the iOS app. You should be able to see all files within OneDrive (name and folders) only with some sort of icon (or grayed out) to show they are not available locally. Once double clicked, they are downloaded and opened.
    There should be a cache amount on settings. Say, 50GB. OneDrive auto keeps the last 50GB downloaded or accessed on my Mac locally. As the 50GB is reached, the files that have not been acessed for the longest time gets deleted locally (available on the cloud) and the new one requested is downloaded. …

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. add the option to exclude certain folders.

there should be an option to exclude certain folders that you may want to store in the one drive folder locally but not to sync them online. like a file that is over 15 gb that way it wont give an error.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Finder Integration compatible with folder and file names containing special characters, like "á", "é",...

Folders or files that have in the name one of this characters never shows the synced green icon. Here in Spain we have a lot of names with such characters and this provoques miss function in Onedrive. And Onedrive itself create when installed one folder named "Imágenes" and "Álbum de cámara" that shows this incorrect behavior.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. OneDrive needs to add auto sync customer selected folders in Mac!!!

I manually drag the folders to my OneDrive to back up my documents in Mac every single day!! It's 2020, everyone else has auto-sync already. Microsoft you'd better hurry up or all loyal customers using Mac will gradually leave your cloud base services!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fix OneDrive/Office 365 integration causing Upload Blocked

I've been hit with the dreaded "Upload Blocked" error in Word and PowerPoint when working with a business account OneDrive. Note, I haven't experienced the problem until the most recent update to the Office apps on my Mac. I've followed all steps to reset OneDrive, re-install OneDrive, logout of Office 365 in Word and PowerPoint, and always end up in the same spot. Word, PowerPoint, (and I imagine the rest of the suite) open the files from OneDrive but have the "Upload Blocked" error message as seen in the attached screenshot.

I've also reached out to Microsoft OneDrive support who…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow Renaming Local Folder

Allow renaming the local folder so the OneDrive folder name doesn't always turn out so long (especially if you have Office 365 at work). "Your Name - Your Employer's Name" doesn't look good in the Finder sidebar.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add password security to access onedrive folder in Mac desktop app

Please add passcode for onedrive mac desktop app just like there is one for iphone app of onedrive. Not everyone in this world has personal laptops and onedrive is my favorite app which i use daily and and getting it on my desktop with password security would make my work very easy and quick.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Sync Documents, Desktop etc folders to OneDrive Option

Just like OneDrive for Windows has with the Auto Save tab 'Protect your important folders' that would allow you to automatically back up anything saved to Documents, Desktop and Pictures folder, I'd love for it to be an option for Mac. Even a step further where additional folders could be selected by the user.

As an admin that manages a number of users on mac, it's been a bit of a push to get users across and some of them are never going to do it the 'right' way and save into their OneDrive. By having this option, it can…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Continue to improve sync speeds, they make the product unusable

I signed up for Office 365, thinking I could use it to replace my Google Drive. However, after a couple days of uploading data to One Drive, I have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to use it since it is so slow in uploading files. I uploaded a batch of files from my Mac to Google Drive last week, and it took one evening to finish. I am now trying to upload the same batch of files from my Mac to One Drive, and I'm 24 hours in and less than 25% done. It also appears…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sync shared files to OneDrive on Mac

It would be awesome if files and folders shared with us by other users would be directly synced to a locally shared folder (shared with me folder) on the Mac. At present we can't directly open any file that is shared. We have to go to OneDrive on the web to access them.

This feature is already present on OneDrive for iOS. Would love something just like the shared tab in OneDrive for iOS.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. OneDrive not working on macOS Catalina

Since Apple introduced macOS 10.15 Catalina, OneDrive Mac app stopped working. It could be a privacy issue, because the app doesn't found OneDrive folder on Mac.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow uploading Mac OS X Photos Library without the fat

Currently I keep my Photos Library inside the OneDrive folder. It gets synchronized just "fine", but as an exact file sync (expected! duh!).

However, the Mac Photos app keeps a DB file which gets updated apparently everyday, so everyday OneDrive is pushing ~300MB to the cloud. Worst, when viewing the photos online in OneDrive, it's showing me "doubles" cause it's showing the original and the thumbnails (not to mention face thumbnails from face recognition).

I like using the Photos app locally, but would like to ONLY sync the original photos to OneDrive. Feels like it's something the "OneDrive for Mac"…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. sync OS X Photos automatically without export

Currently, you need to export photos from OS X Photos app in order to upload to OneDrive. This is a manual process and creates duplicate copies of photos. Would be great if OneDrive sync the photos automatically.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. on demand for mac

Available for PCs but not for Macs

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. should accept special characters for file names

Synchronizing with OneDrive for Apple Computers is otherwise nearly impossible, as Apple accept Special characters e.g. / for file names!!!

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Synch of the OneDrive folder to the SD-Card

For OneDrive for MacOS: we miss the ability to move the synch of the OneDrive folder to the SD-Card.

It would be great if you can implement such a function for the mac users.

Best regards

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. CPU usage too high on Mac.

The CPU usage is too on Mac computers. CPU usage on MacBook Pro is too high. CPU usage is at 20% all the time and the fan is running constantly. One Drive drains the Battery in one hour. If I close the app everything is fine.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Delete or Keep on OneDrive

once you delete a folder or file on your one drive on a mac the file is deleted as well on the one drive cloud storage, this is not handy and it should have an option to decide what to do, because the benefit to have a cloud storage is to keep the files remotely and not locally, I suggest to give us the option to decide if:
    Delete and keep (Mac - OneDrive)
    Completely delete (Both sides)
    keep and delete (OneDrive -Mac)

The only way that i had to do to accomplish this was quoting one drive (shutting down)…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Dark OneDrive file folder to match System folders on Mojave and up..

While OneDrive now supports dark mode in the menu UI, the OneDrive finder folder itself doesn't darken when other system folders do -

The custom cloud icon folder requires special tagging from Apple to be dynamically darkened as part of enabling Dark mode, otherwise the folder sticks out as bright blue amongst a sea of dark blue folders when Dark Mode is enabled. This is visible and an aesthetics issue in Finder, Dock/Stacks etc. Please work with Apple to correct. OneDrive is a core part of my productivity kit and needs to match my OS!

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)