OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Mac

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

How can we improve OneDrive on Mac?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please add online-only for mac users

I have 2 subscriptions for Office365 this means i have 2048 GB of online storage but my MacBook Pro has only 256 GB of local storage why not i cant choose which files to keep on the SSD and which Files to keep online only like what i used to do with my windows laptop... selective syncing isn't really helpful because I will have to to open the browser every time i need to access my non-local storage and re-download what i need after then re-upload it again and this is just a pain... i am moving to iCloud next…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow OneDrive to sync to removable media on MacOS OSX.

Enable the feature/option to Sync OneDrive on Removable media on OSX.
    Many Mac's have limited HDD space, it is very importanto to allow sync OneDrive to external drive

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scheduling

Hi
    Is it possible to schedule when syncing occurs with the onedrive client on MacOs. I find the computer slows dramatically when uploading a lot of files

Thanks
    Matt

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Umlauts [äöü]

Hello,
    unfortunately OneDrive for Mac is not supporting umlauts like (äöü). In Finder all documents and folder with umlauts in it show all the time the sync symbol. As soon as I remove all umlauts the sync process is going well.
    It would be nice, if you change this.
    Thanks!

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Selective Sync on Mac needs to continue even if it cannot sync a particular file (.DS_Store file was culprit).

I installed the new version of OneDrive for Business (MacOS), with selective sync.
    Whenever it got to a ".DS_Store" file, though, it would get "hung up", and would stop syncing. I contacted MS Tech Support and was directed to an article which appeared to be helpful in that it clearly addressed the issue I was experiencing, and eventually was able to get the Mac to complete the sync by deleting the .DS_Store files (which was a bit of a challenge, but I figured it out).

The issue is not just that the Mac won’t sync the “.ds_store” files, but that…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make it work on a stock MacbookPro

Currently the OneDrive folder cannot be created on a case-sensitive drive. Well, the stock MacbookPro only has case-sensitive drive, which shuts me out of using OneDrive on it.

See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odstart-odinstall/onedrive-installation-from-apple-app-store-fails/9578a5c6-2eb9-402c-ba8e-c7b3b4eb0016

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. On Battery Pause Sync By Default (Parity with Windows)

Currently on Mac, OneDrive chews A LOT of power. One thing I have noted in testing on Virtual Machines with Windows is that the Windows version pauses sync by default on battery which would be ideal.

Please look at adding this (in addition to other battery saving optimisations). As it would at least bridge the gap until other power saving optimisations could be employed.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Screenshot upload and sharing link to clipboard

Dropbox has this (optional) functionality: when you take new screenshot (I'm using Mac) - it automatically moves screenshot to Dropbox/Screenshots and copies share link to the clipboard. Then I can easily share schreenshot that was just taken.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Folder Badges

It would be really helpful to see which files and folders have already been synced by seeing those folder badges like dropbox and box.com have. Can OneDrive implement a feature like this please?

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. to open the files in "collaborative mode" when using the synced folder to open a file.

I'm using OneDrive to collaborate with my colleagues on the same document.

In windows when opening a file from the synced folder of OneDrive, it automatically enables the "Collaborative mode" (with the circle arrows in the save icon), on Mac it doesn't!

Every time I want to open a file and collaborate (often) we have to search for the file from the navigation tool of the application instead of Finder, which is inconvenient!

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make OneDrive MacOS FileName compatible

Sync all your files anywhere, anytime across PC and Mac? Hardly!! OneDrive still has legacy Windows filename limitations and refuses to deal with files/file names that are fully legal names on the MacOS. This has been an issue for YEARS that Microsoft has continually ignored. Until Microsoft can be bothered to fix this, OneDrive will continue to be nothing but an "also ran", trailing far behind competing products/service what do not have such issues (which would be just about every other product/service out there). Until Microsoft can be bothered to fix this, I will have no other choice but to…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. MAC OS X : Create a upload bandwidth limit so we can use the internet while one drive uploads. QoS !!!

MAC OS X : Create a upload bandwidth limit so we can use the internet while one drive uploads. QoS !!!
    One drive manage to consume all upload bandwidth which means you do not have enough bandwidth to request to view another site or use another service at the same time.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Improve energy efficiency

The energy efficiency of the OneDrive app on the Mac appears to be quite poor. It eats the battery pretty quickly.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make Finder Integration compatible with folder and file names containing special characters, like "á", "é",...

Folders or files that have in the name one of this characters never shows the synced green icon. Here in Spain we have a lot of names with such characters and this provoques miss function in Onedrive. And Onedrive itself create when installed one folder named "Imágenes" and "Álbum de cámara" that shows this incorrect behavior.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Only one suggestion that everyone will agree with... Feature parity with the Windows version. That should be the baseline.

Only one suggestion that everyone will agree with... The Mac version should always have feature parity with the Windows version. That should be the baseline. We shouldn't have to ask for this. We should simply expect it.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Synch of the OneDrive folder to the SD-Card

For OneDrive for MacOS: we miss the ability to move the synch of the OneDrive folder to the SD-Card.

It would be great if you can implement such a function for the mac users.

Best regards

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Share option

Would be nice if the new update for MacOS would have a share immediately with the system in OneDrive

For example, when you click to see more details the *Share* button you can choose OneDrive

Thanks

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make OneDrive look more like an OSX application

The OSX version of OneDrive looks like a 'tacked-on' application and not a native OSX app, the GUI is totally alien and looks out of place from everything else. Can we please get this polished up and make it less like a Windows10 application and more of a OSX application.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Offline files MacOS

The MacOS app should be similar to the iOS app. You should be able to see all files within OneDrive (name and folders) only with some sort of icon (or grayed out) to show they are not available locally. Once double clicked, they are downloaded and opened.
    There should be a cache amount on settings. Say, 50GB. OneDrive auto keeps the last 50GB downloaded or accessed on my Mac locally. As the 50GB is reached, the files that have not been acessed for the longest time gets deleted locally (available on the cloud) and the new one requested is downloaded. …

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. OneDive Folder Protection for Mac

Please add the same Folder Protection option for Mac as is currently available for PC. The feature on PC works great, and is much needed on Mac, as many of us use both systems. Thanks in advance.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive on Mac

Feedback and Knowledge Base