OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive on Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

1. Photos and Videos compressed: Unlimited backup storage

Google offer unlimited storage if you backup compressed or normal resolution (16 MP) photos and videos (up to 1080p). The app do the compression job on his own and upload photos / videos directly for backup.
    Please Microsoft give a similar service for your users. Thanks.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix OneDrive online only functionality on MacOS

After Apple's last year update to the file storage formats used by MacOS, OneDrive does not report correct file sizes to MacOS, so when files are made online only, they still appear to take up space to the Mac's storage reporting.

This means that in some cases, OneDrive will report that it is taking up more space than physically possible on the Mac and cause both OS crashes and application crashes when they require scratch disk usage. This is severely dangerous for users who's OneDrives are already using GBs of space.

This is a problem that DropBox and Google Drive…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Don't re-download everything when changing the location of the synced folders

These instructions for moving a OneDrive folder tell you to move the OneDrive folder after unlinking your account, then log in again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-location-of-your-onedrive-folder-f386fb81-1461-40a7-be2c-712676b2c4ae

However, when I move my Onedrive folder and relink a large Sharepoint folder, Onedrive ignores the files that are already there and downloads everything again rather than comparing the files to see if they've changed. I'm syncing a large Sharepoint folder, so this steals a lot of bandwidth for no reason and uses a large amount of primary disk space on tmp download files. Support told me this is default behavior.

I suggest OneDrive should compare files…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Exclude local files from being uploaded to OneDrive

Exclude files on the local machine from being uploaded to OneDrive. At the moment it is possible to exclude files existing on OneDrive to be synchronised with the local machine but it is not possible to prevent files in the OneDrive path of the local machine of being uploaded to OneDrive.

Equivalent to .gitignore on Github.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Syncing over LAN

Sync Ondrive Files and Folders (under the same onedrive account or under same sharepoint site) to Sync over LAN withouth having to upload/download from the internet. Like DropBox does by more than 10 years...

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Automatic sync issues resolving

Hi

we have people that have around 900 sync issues on their OneDrive because the name of the file is apparently wrong, and OneDrive refuses to sync the files on OneDrive for other users because of the name issues. It would be quite the project to resolve every one of these manually, and therefore we wish that OneDrive would resolve these and future name issues automatically by changing the name.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a Checkbox to Disable Sync When Running on Battery

Onedrive uses an excessive amount of energy, heating the mac, causing a drastic decrease in battery life while running.
    (I have two Macbook Pro's 16" and 13", running on latest on Catalina and Big Sur and having this issue on both)

Please add an option in the settings to disable sync while running on the battery to avoid this problem easily.

Thanks.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Convert HEIC files to Jpg

Automatically convert (or have the option to automatically convert) HEIC files to Jpg.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Giver users a way to upload files without having to sync?

Currently I have to copy my files onto OneDrive, then tell it to free up space. This is a headache, as I have to wait for OneDrive to free up space in order to copy the next batch of files, and it doesn't work well, as OneDrive stops freeing up space arbitrarily. It also doesn't work well for users with small hard drives (on Mac or Windows).

Why not let users either have some other method of uploading files if they're going to be online only anyway? Or let users select arbitrary folders?

As a user, I would add that…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Direct Download to OneDrive

A Finder extension that allows direct download to OneDrive - bypassing the local Mac drive -- like Google offers for Google Drive for Teams would be very welcome

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can we get logging on OneDrive status on the web?

Use case here is for troubleshooting purposes. It would be nice to see if OneDrive is updating files, which files it's updating, etc.

This would have the benefit of reducing support calls or the need to call support in the first place.

I would add that macos client is truly awful at showing status as well. I can't reliably count on it to tell me what it's doing, or even if it's signed in. I've largely given up on the client telling me what it's doing and just restart the **** thing when I'm unsure.

The Windows client is better…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Option To Quit Onedrive If Drive Is Unavailable, Instead Of Breaking

if my OneDrive folder is located on an external drive which is not plugged in, every time I open OneDrive or boot my Mac, OneDrive comes up with the error that it cant find the folder with options: try again or completely sign out of the program to go through set up and sign in again. neither will work because the drive is not connected (USB HDD) and there is no way to quit or cancel OneDrive, cant even close the error window, the only thing I can do is force terminate the process via activity monitor, which is very…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. open all the usage rights in the Chinese mainland market

I hope that one drive can open all the usage rights in the Chinese mainland market as soon as possible. For example, one drive currently does not support ‘online viewing’ and must use a VPN; it is also not possible to view the contents of the personal vault on a mac computer. This is very inconvenient, and if onedrive can be improved, it will be very pleasant.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. ondrive mac responding slow

I am using One Drive for Mac. Its is newly installed all drivers up to date. No sync issue and One Drive is working correct without errors but the interface is late to respond my clicks. I click the button and the screen responds after 4-5 seconds, can this be fixed in next update?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Actually pay attention to User Voice suggestions...

PROBLEM: Your 10 most highly-voted, unresolved feature suggestions are all more than 1.5 years old. The median age of these 10 unresolved suggestions is 3 years old.

BACKGROUND: These 10 requests range in vote count from 300 to more than almost 3300 votes, and with exception to one request with a note from three months ago suggesting that someone was "working on it," most haven't been acknowledged in any way in years, if at all.

OPINION: I think this is a fundamentally-flawed approach to addressing what your users value most.

SUGGESTION: I think you should get MVPs out the door,…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change the time files are stored locally with onedrive/sharepoint on mac

Hello!

I would like a feauture/setting option to change how long the files are stored locally before being deleted and only stored in the cloud again, like you could do in a windows operative system(se picture).
    I will refer to this link ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-mac-529f6d53-e572-4922-a585-e7a318c135f0 ) in the first picture in this guide you can se three types of "statuses" you can se in finder, when you download a file you will have the green circle with the green checkmark but it will be stored locally till you "releas it back to the cloud buy manually right click "Free Up Space"…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. This should be a little more fancy

Text people for help or chat to someone

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow mac users to sync their Desktop, Documents and Downloads to their Onedrive.

It would be great if you allowed mac users to sync their Desktop, Documents and Downloads to their Onedrive.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive on Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base