OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Sorting photos

When sorting photos by date, the app seems to sort by date modified as opposed to the date when the photo was taken. When looking at pictures, it is more helpful to sort by the date the picture was taken. It would be helpful if the app could read the meta-data of when the picture was taken and sort that way instead of by when the file was created or modified.

422 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamie Woodhouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just ported all of my photos and videos over from Google. OneDrive Photos shows them as if they were all taken today - so completely jumbled my entire photo collection.
        A much more sensible default would be to show photos by date taken - as Google Photos does and as suggested in the original comment. Great if you can get this fixed as I've seen it's been raised many times over the years.

• Tuukka Rantamäki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this one? This is the main reason I consider switching away from OneDrive as my central image gallery. Nobody is interested when image file was created or modified - date taken is all that matters, really.

• José Moya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is specially important since many apps don't keep file dates when transferring from camera to mobile (samsung "Files" app when working with usb) or from mobile to camera (windows when reading an android device as multimedia device).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Metadata sorting and filtering is a real need to use OneDrive to organize and share photos. For example, Location, people and type of object (buildings, flowers, body of water) all allow files to be organized for ideal sharing, viewing, albums, downloading, creation of slideshow or online booklet.
        Thanks!

• Bas Roovers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this. Newly uploaded files with "old" date taken are now shown on top. Very annoying, please change or add ability to change.

• Johan Appelgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That photos are sorted by upload time makes features like "this day" completely useless. Who is interested to know what photos you uploaded on a particular date? The all photos view and sort is also made meaningless by this if you want to find photos from a specific time or event.

• Ann Mathews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the main problem with One Drive that is causing me to look into other options for storing my photos. I had thought OneDrive would be so great, but when I pull a couple hundred vacation photos out of of over a 1000 photos taken with multiple devices and put them in an album to share, but can't sort them by the date taken, it's virtually useless to me for photo sharing. I don't want to share an album that has photos from my camera, then photos from my phone, then my husband's phone. I want to share photos from the same day consecutively. Don't get why this is challenging because I'm pretty sure I had this option on a Kodak site in 2002.

• Rory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to say I agree with anonymous and also be able to see all photos that are on my device or phone I should say please help improve this as it is annoying to go back and forth between all the folders.
        Thank you for your time.

• Ronny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its annoying that I have to manually sort all my new and old Folders and Files within these Folders to "Sort by: Name". I want to make my own default sort option for all new photos, pretty please!

Feedback and Knowledge Base