OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

OneDrive just got less secure. Really sad to see that Microsoft removed the "Recipients need to sign in with a Microsoft account" option!

The "Recipients need to sign in with a Microsoft account" option is key to limit uncontrolled forwarding of shared data from OneDrive. I am strongly dissapointed that this option was removed, which had been one reason to bring all my family members to one-drive. Now I can no longer prevent that an Email containing a link to a folder shared with my kids, which may accidentally be forwarded to a friend of theirs, would also be accessible by their friends (!). The whole logic of the "data-owner" being under _control_ of with whom the data is being shared, is broken (!). I'm not talking about sharing via a generic link (where it's a deliberate option to make the data "semi-public"), but rather when sharing to dedicated people. This basically means I can no longer trust that my personally shared data is only kept within the bounds that I control. No idea why Microsoft would choose to remove such a critical feature - and I would sure hope it comes back soon.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
G Grillenmeier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mac Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will be finding an alternative service since this is no longer a feature. How are users supposed to securely share documents?

• Stuart Britt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removing this feature is insane! I now have no control of who can view the files and no way of checking who *has* been looking. I can't even tell if someone has forwarded a sharing link to the whole world or not. So there is no way at all of ensuring any sort of security or privacy on any file, even if you only share it with one person.

• Chad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been pushing for my company to go to Office 365/OneDrive/SharePoint online, the whole bit. One major issue is the concern that it is too easy for employees to share files insecurely (without authentication). It seems Microsoft has decided that sharing insecurely is the only way to share files. This is a huge mistake an big step backward.

As an IT professional I can no longer support using Microsoft's online file services when a feature this important was removed.

I understand that "OneDrive" and "OneDrive for Business" are two different products but I cannot have my entire company move to a product that has the potential of having the same mistake made.

• Белая Рысь commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys please stop joking this way. My secure OneDrive turned into RapidShare, where anyone is able to download any thing just having correct link. Are you serious?

Feedback and Knowledge Base