OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Thumbnail preview, does not work for jpg files uploaded bye the onedrive sync in windows

On onedrive.com, thumbnail preview of jpg files does not work, if the jpg files is uploaded using onedrive sync in windows. If I upload the sames files to a new folder using the browser on onedrive.com, thumbnail preview is showing up on all files. This is happening on all versions of windows 10. It is not a browser issue, the same happens when viewing onedrive in chrome, firefox, edge, ie 11, so it must be an upload problem. Some of the files however shows up correctly.

215 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Raffaele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried but every uploads still not working, the old uploaded image now work but the newer one no

• Cyrus Nanavati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have thesame problem - just get the mountain symbol instead of the preview - very annoying and I wasted 6 hours trying to "fix" it

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just sent the question to the OneDrive support, and the support person requested me to run a TraceMe, to trace Calls on my data and Calls i make, and record my network, and send him the trace logs. Have onyone went thru such a process? Does it help to fix the issue? I just do not see how this issue connected with tracing my network calls.

• Brett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening to me in the file explorer on Windows 10. The jpg files that I've saved have a thumbnail image which disappears as soon as the upload completes. I have to assume this is related. Glad to know it's not just me. I've been trying everything I could think of to fix the problem, including signing out of OneDrive and back in to refresh the sync.

I need a space to keep thousands of photos, so I uploaded a few days ago, as a test. Looked fine. And so I just signed up for OneDrive yearly subscription. Loaded a few more photos - and there is no preview for the new photos! If that is an ongoing issue - I will have to stop payment thru my credit card company. You sell product that doesn't work. You cannot sell a cookie that is raw, that's all.

• Tsung Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So a terrible old story happened again huh? I thought it's my fault until I noticed the time stamp.

• Al K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto to invisible thumbnails. What is signified by the three little radial lines near the beginning of the filename for each photo file? Does that symbol indicate a premature upload?

• DaveYearsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for me. Moved images. Deleted Images, Re-Uploaded images. Used Office Lens -Reverted to Original Image - some showed and some got really messed up.! Read whole thread - no solution. Maybe my folder will work for others on another day??

Having the same issue, as of today. Uploaded a bunch of photos last night. Thumbnails still display for all of them. Went I went to add another file to the folder, I'm getting the same result as others. When I click on the placeholder (mountain) icon, instead of displaying the photo, it starts a download process. It sure seems like Microsoft updated the application and broke it.

Anonymous commented · Just Now · Delete
        I uploaded some photos to a OneDrive folder yesterday. Thumbnails and when I click a photo it launches the photo viewer. I uploaded some today and no thumbnails. If I click a photo it downloads the file. Help! I want to share this with my travel group, but not if their going to have this ****** experience.

• Christy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem. Files I added yesterday work fine but today not working. I get a mountain icon and when clicked the download window opens. It is a shared folder that I need customers to preview. These are huge files that customers do not have the space to download. Please resolve. Thx

• Raffaele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same, whater image or video i upload can't see from android app or web app. Btw if i download it i can see it

• KXB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started having this issue today. Images I uploaded to OneDrive yesterday still appear, but when I tried to upload today, I get the blank icon with the mountain image.

• JamesU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to comments below; I will stop paying for this service and move to an alternative provider if something as simple as this is not fixed asap! Why am i unable to see previews of my files across devices and online?

• HappyB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot see jpg files that I added today. If I added them before today they show up! What is going on????????

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem. I cannot see the files as photos. All I get is a rectangle with a mountain image, when I put the view as photo or tile. The photos before this last upload show as pictures. Cannot get a preview on the last ones I uploaded or view them as photos.

• Pr0x1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ready for this? If you change the library settings to use the "Classic Experience" it works.

• Pr0x1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable how long this thread is... still having the same issue. #METOO

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've found that, if you click on a picture and then the "view the original" button, you can see it...
        Agreed that it's not a sufficient work around, but it can help.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base