OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Thumbnail preview, does not work for jpg files uploaded bye the onedrive sync in windows

On onedrive.com, thumbnail preview of jpg files does not work, if the jpg files is uploaded using onedrive sync in windows. If I upload the sames files to a new folder using the browser on onedrive.com, thumbnail preview is showing up on all files. This is happening on all versions of windows 10. It is not a browser issue, the same happens when viewing onedrive in chrome, firefox, edge, ie 11, so it must be an upload problem. Some of the files however shows up correctly.

215 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue: .tiff file and .pdf file previews do show, In addition, some .jpg file thumbnail previews do show but only a very small number of them.

• Julia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem - just migrated everything to OneDrive and now no thumbnails for most of my photos. Very frustrating

• Gene Dermody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem, and I am now dead in water trying to identify thousands of imgxxx.jpg files from a camera. WTF is going on? This worked a few weeks ago before I upgraded to a new SB-II

I have exactly the same issue: .tiff file and .pdf file previews do, however show. Strangely, some .jpg file thumbnail previews do show (less than 5% of the images in a folder).

Any NEF file that has been synced to onedrive has been corrupted in some way that makes them not open in photoshop raw. I have to copy them into another folder, then they will open in photoshop raw (latest version) Is the weirdest issue.

Everytime onedrive syncs, I loose the ability to view thumbnails on png's & NEF files, I have to copy them, delete them, then paste them back into a folder for the thumbnails to show in explorer, and then onedrive has to sync them again, being a photographer this is becoming extremely frustrating and I am loosing time fixing it.

When my MS Office and OneDrive updated on March 31, 2018 I was suddenly unable to see my thumbnails for larger TIF files on OneDrive or in File Explorer. This change also affected my C drive. My external drives are not linked to OneDrive and are unaffected. I had never had a problem in the past. I am a professional photographer and rely on being able to see the thumbnails. This change is a really big problem and I hope Microsoft can fix it soon. I'm considering switching my cloud storage to Google.

Same problem as everyone else. I have read a ton of comments on line about the same issue. It is obvious the MS has no idea how to fix this or does not care. I have read about all sorts of work arounds that SOMETIMES work. We have all paid money for MS products and services yet MS does not seem to care about quality anymore. It is truly a shame. Perhaps they could ask some of the programmers at Google how to fix this. I have never had an issue with my Google Drive

Does the same thing for me. Need this fixed since it is effecting some of my customers.

• Cat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that there are 102 votes, I'd suggest Microsoft fix this stupid issue with a service that we all PAY for. This voting system is insane.

Same here. Problem also goes to shortcuts to those pictures, which previously had a thumbnail but after the Fall Creators Update they don't show up, or show for a moment if you recreate the thumbnail, and after sync they disappear again.

• Karen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not an expert computer user anymore, although I used to be. I searched online sporadically over the past few months after suddenly not being able to view .jpeg files on my computer. I read to unlink OneDrive from this PC through the OneDrive settings. And IT WORKED! It was so simple!

• Björn Bengtsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I reported this to MS and it worked for a while yesterday but the problem is now back. From what I can see they have a problem with the included metadata in the jpeg.

Feedback and Knowledge Base