OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Show captions on photos in shared albums

I have added captions to the photos in a fairly large album, thinking that when I shared it with others they would see them. But the only way that they can see them is by opening the information pane on each photo.

Captions are a vital part of sharing photos. They should be visible:
1) In the slide show
2) On each full screen photo, with an option to turn them off
3) On the thumbnail screen, perhaps as tool tips

331 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill Weinberger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About time you did something more than thinking about it. A bit pointlees having an app that does not show the captions when logging in via browser presents the data without a problem.
        Time to extract the digit folks

A while ago, I settled with OneDrive as my one-stop photo album solution. However, the non-showing caption problem is just so frustrating and ridiculous. Microsoft has apparently been thinking about it since November 2016, but decided to do nothing to fix it. I guess it's time to look for another solution then.

• Ruth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree - I spent a lot of time captioning photos in an album that I shared with out of town family but none of them could see the captions. Having to click on the i of each indiv pix is not conducive to a good slide show.
        Any improvement on this or way around it?
        Thanks.
        Ruth

I can't get the Add a caption to a photo to work in OneDrive. I click on it and nothing happens. Does anyone else have this problem? If I start typing after clicking, it does nothing, or opens the share menu.

Please think faster, and do so in general. Context is what gives everything in the universe meaning, and context is accomplished with consonants and vowels. Sort of what makes us human, regardless of how clever we are.

• Don Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I and people I've shared with can see our photo captions in browsers, but there seems to be no way of seeing them in the OneDrive Android app. As other have said, this is very disappointing: neither my wife nor I habitually carries our PC around with us, which rather reduces the experience when showing photos to others.

I am so disappointed with the "thinking about it" response. What is the point of putting the captions if viewers cannot see them? They were always part of the slide shows before everything was revamped (NOT "improved") on Shutterfly.

• Noreen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have added textbox captions to hundreds of photos for slideshow presentations of our beautiful Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens. These captions are not visible on the screen though which is absolutely diabolical..

I agree with you entirely. What is the point of sharing if the captions are not displayed on the photo itself.

Same issue here. I just created an album with 70 pictures with captions to document a process. Low and behold, the people I sent it to can't see my captions! What a waste!

• John Parry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I went to Google Photos and created a dozen albums containing over a thousand photos, because you can display a caption on or under the photos. All was fine.
        BUT on Google Photos only auto-arranges photos in an album based on photo date not filename, and from time to time randomly changes the sort order, ruining the album and destroying any attempt to tell a story with images and text. The lesson? Big IT companies are idiot savants, part genius, part fool. They pretend they've created a fantastic solution but meanwhile have bugs so moronic you'll wish you had stuck to analogue ways of doing things (paper photo albums). A plague on all their houses (that goes for Apple too).

Would like to be able to show captions to my daughter so she can help me edit. Can't plan a book without getting the info correct.

• Christy K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have an update on your thinking? I also am deciding where to store and share my 1000s of photos. Was totally leaning toward OneDrive but not without captions. I have captioned all photos on my PC in Picasa. The captions are not available, even with selecting "File Info", on the Windows PC file viewer, the OneDrive web, or OneDrive on my phone. Please give me some encouragement.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems the other comments already sum up the frustration of adding comments and captions and not having them be visible. Why have online and shared albums and then keep everything private and singular? Very odd strategy in a world dominated by social sharing!

• Linda Ryder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They used to have this feature. I cannot believe all my carefully added captions do not show in slideshow. This is insane. Do people just want to see my pix without knowing what is happening. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED. EXTREMELY. What a horrible change. HORRIBLE

Douglas Pearce, how much longer will you think about it? That sucks, just blabla, no action. Nice work, keep on truckin'

• Vit S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Douglas, how far have you thought about it? Do you understand that this is a commonly expected feature that exists on all other photo sharing services? Is this some amazing logic to make Microsoft service of the same kind deliberately worse in user experience than other that are available, something like Windows Phone? Very nice job then.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base