OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Block Up/Downloading Specific File Types

The "OneDrive for Business Deny List of File Types for Sync" feature was recently released, however it prevents files from being uploaded only when using the OneDrive Sync client. The same files can still be uploaded using the Web View. This means Administrators STILL DON'T have the ability to define a list of file types that will be actively blocked from up/downloading, while Microsoft if claiming so.

353 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this restriction, this is our a big problem in our School. the students have an access in onedrive but we cannot restrict them for up/downloading the files such as movie file, music, software, installer etc using web view.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must, not only in the commercial world but also for education! I cannot move forward with rolling out onedrive for students unless this is resolved!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Providing the ability to whitelist/blacklist extensions or mime types would allow us to look at rolling this feature out widely for our students.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually instead of providing list of blocking extension. My suggestion would be to put list of allowed extension as allowed list are less compared to lots of unknown extensions.

• Tony Maddin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with a lot of folks on this thread, please include this restriction via the web.

• Claudio Opazo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include this restriction via web, since it is necessary and makes the file restriction invalid through synchronization.

• Eduardo Oliveira Scricco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I opened a Design Change Request with Microsoft Support team requesting the ability to prevent the OneDrive client from syncing down restricted files types that are stored with OneDrive and SharePoint, however this has been rejected. So we will still have a feature that says is going to block something but in fact it doesn't really block.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature in both Onedrive and SharePoint because at present our users can upload dodgy files from home using the web interface (viruses and the like), which will automatically sync to site. even though these filetypes are banned from syncing in the setting of both. They can just circumvent this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base