OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Facial recognition

It'd be great if OneDrive could recognize people's face, and if it could automatically create folders of people and all the photos where they appear. Like Google Photos

593 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TeHe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea to have an On/Off switch on face recognition - with default off, as suggested.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the option of allowing users to turn this option on or off? The default setting should be off, but users can opt in if they want that kind of functionality.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! YES! PLEASE!!! Where is this feature? I am trying to search thousands of photos (the I pulled from Google a few months ago to put in OneDrive) to find pictures of my daughter and the only ones I can find are the ones that I have already manually tagged! Super frustrating Microsoft! I REALLY WANT to stay with OneDrive, I REALLY WANT to recommend it to my clients....but there are just a few things that are just NOT COOL about OneDrive, and this is definitely one of them! Any advice/suggestions would be AWESOME! Thanks!

• Jahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Face recognition for photos required. Search by face or place will be a game changer for this app. Many improvement still required.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google photos already has this... I’ve moved my picture collection over and just tweaking a video playback before I switch... google uploads quicker too... come on Microsoft

• Dave Wolax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Face recognition and tagging would be incredibly useful! Because whenever I take a photo of a friend or a family member, it will be able to recognize them and puts their photos in their own face collection which then I will be able to share their face collection with them.

This way, all my friends and family members will instantly get notification from OneDrive whenever I take a photo of them. and they can see it in their OneDrive or Photos App on Windows without me having to create an Album for each event, put their photo in that album one by one and then email them a link to that Album.

Like this, Everything becomes fully automatic! All I have to do is just take photos with my phone then it automatically uploads to OneDrive and detects faces, so friends and family members will get to see their photos instantly!

This would bring more people to OneDrive and Photos App. They will use it daily because they can all see each other's photos with ease and rate and comment on each other photos.

If this really works, I think it can beat some other social media in some ways! Think about it, how we share our photos with each other now a days? post them on our social media for our friends and family to see. its a very frustrating manual process that should be done automatic without even clicking buttons. It should be simple as we take our phone, take a photo and put it back in our pocket and spend time with our family and friend. and in the background, the photo gets uploaded and will be shared with those people who are in the photo automatically and later they can see it and comment on it! It beats all old style social media that are now a days in a whole new level.

Face recognition and tagging would be incredibly useful! Because whenever I take a photo of a friend or a family member, it will be able to recognize them and puts their photos in their own face collection which then I will be able to share their face collection with them.

This way, all my friends and family members will instantly get notification from OneDrive whenever I take a photo of them. and they can see it in their OneDrive or Photos App on Windows without me having to create an Album for each event, put their photo in that album one by one and then email them a link to that Album.

Like this, Everything gets fully automatic! All I have to do is just keep taking pictures with my phone, it automatically uploads to OneDrive and detects faces. then friends and family members gets to see their photos instantly!

Would be amazing! because it would bring more people to OneDrive and Photos App. They will use it daily because they can all see each other's photos with ease and rate and comment on each other photos.

There one missing key feature and that is face recognition and ability to tag faces of friends and family members. So that I can find them easier and share their photos with them. Whenever I take a photo of a friend or a family member, it recognizes their face and puts that photo in their album which is shared with that person and they can see their own photo! This way, it brings more people to OneDrive because they can see their photos taken by other family members in real time and get notified. Windows 10 has face recognition in photos app but it's broken. It doesn't let me tag and name people. Sometimes it recognize same person as different faces and again I can't merge them into one person.

It hought I saw this online at one point and now I cannot find it. ikf it is a supported feature, then can it be surfaced in a more intuitive way?
        All competitors have this - Google, Apple. Please get live ASAP!

This is needed! I used to use Picasa but that is no longer available so I have to use Fotobounce which isn't as good and I had to start all over!!!!! It would be nice for OneDrive to just do this so I can set all the faces and be done!!

This is needed! I used to use Picasa but that is no longer available so I have to use Fotobounce which isn't as good and I had to start all over!!!!! It would be nice for OneDrive to just do this so I can set all the faces and be done!!

I'd like this feature as well. I have over 50.000 pics on my Google Photos and I'm hesitant to move them to OneDrive because I will lose this useful feature.

• Zaid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am shocked that this is not implemented , I had to buy Google Photos plan and move all my photos to them while keeping my doc at one drive, pretty annoying to keep both .

• Shahar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! This is the single one feature that blocks people from using OneDrive for large repository for pics

I really think you need to work on this. This is the most time-saving and efficient way to sort photos.

• jw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wasn't this previously implemented a few years ago for tagging?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base