OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Duplicate files/photos ( duplicates )

Like other suggestions I would like a way to not have duplicate files/photos, to save space.

Can we have some specific way to:

1) run a "duplicate" search that can automatically delete files/photos based on a name, size and date
2) search for duplicates and then list them all in name order, showing name, size and date to then give option to review then delete
3) a file compare search for similar looking files, then the option to delete one(s)

6,742 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

211 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE add the ability to remove duplicate files easily. I have numerous files and going to each folder or subfolder and deleting the duplicates is EXTREMELY tedious and time consuming!

• G sutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The need to delete duplciate photos continues to be important as storage levels rise.

• T5NET commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI USERVOICE !

IDEA

VISUAL DUPLICATE FINDER =

A TOOL LIKE BING VISUAL SEARCH IN ONEDRIVE TO COMPARE AN

UPLOADED PICTURE,PHOTO,GIF ETC WITH YOUR FILES TO FIND A

DUPLICATE.

T5NET

• thewamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive has created a duplicate file, with a " - Copy" filename suffix, for every file in My Documents and Pictures folders. This is taking about 40 GB (Yes, 40 Gigabytes) of space on my C: drive and also in OneDrive cloud storage. If these duplicates need to be there, then Microsoft needs to tell the users. If they can be deleted, then the users need an automated way to delete them.

• Sven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Onedrive team, I have a similar request as already mentioned: the option to remove duplicate photos.

Really this is not a user friendly system. Even trying to organize into albums you can't tell what photos/videos you have/haven't put into the folder. BOO!!

Perhaps Microsoft doesn't want to do anything about it because they want people to pay them to buy more storage because literally NO ONE has the time to search and delete

• jac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Heartily agree. Duplicates require many hours to control.

• MAUREEN SHEARER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It is so time consuming and frustrating to have to constantly deal with duplicate photos showing up in OneDrive. What do you mean you do not plan to address it? Seriously, it's a big flaw and making me consider DropBox instead.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope you do something like this. I have duplicates of so many pics and I can’t figure out why this is happening

• Guillermo De Sensi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This requirement is at least three years old, is someone from Microsoft going to look at it and solve it sometime?
    Or will we have to go to the competition?

I have merged files and generated many duplicates. This is a must requirement.

I think this needs rethinking. the worlds servers are filled with duplicate copies of files and especially photos. A routine to detect exact and similar copies of photos would make keeping a useable photo collection far easier.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base