OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

onedrive web always stalls after uploading few files - hangs on "uploading *** items" for ever (win 10 chrome and Edge)

i am trying to upload my photos to onedrive via the web. I dont do it via the windows sync app as I dont want this folder synced as its too big.

I know all the fragile problems with onedrive, and can confirm that:

all my file names are < 8 chars + ".jpg"
None of the filenames nor folders have any chars other than ascii
There is only one level deapth (a directory with files in it)
I have 300GB of space left in my 1TB (so its not a space issue).
Files are all < 10MB, so its not a file size issue.
I have tried with different folders of images, always same problem.
I have 300Mb symmetrical uncontested fibre connected via 1GB Ethernet and managed switch. speed test.net shows 310Mbit up and down 100% of the time.
How to reproduce:

open onedrive.live.com in either chrome or IE (both fail)
navigate to my pictures backup dir in the web view of onedrive.
drag a folder of images (or just images, same problem)
It very quickly uploads a small number of the files (between 15 and 20)
Then it says "uploading *** items" in the top right, and when I click on it it says "Progress uploading *** items to picture_bacukups"
Then nothing happens. It makes no progress, it just hangs. I have tried leaving it for 3 hours, nothing happens.
It creates the target directory and a few initial image files (it usually manages around 15, I have tens of thousands in total to transfer (not all at once of course, it certainly cant handle that)
The browser and onedrive website are still responsive, e.g. I can open a dir (and it still says "uploading *** items" in the right corner)
This also happens if you try to copy the missing files from a directory. Drag say 500 images to the dir in the web browser, and it uplodas say 15 then simply doesnt upload any more, it gets stuck. close the browser, start again, drag the remaining 485 files, and say 17 of these get copied, then it stops again. Something is very wrong.

Several months ago this used to mostly work, but now I am stuck - there is no way to upload files. I have been trying since 2 days. after several hours of no files being uploaded, I close the browser, delete the partially uploaded directory, and start again. Always same result - it creates the dir, uploads a random number of files (between 15 and 17), then simply stops uploading for no reason.

I found this thread where people are having exactly the same problem with no solution:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odfiles-sdwin10/onedrive-upload-stalls-when-trying-to-upload-a/590140af-90f6-4ad8-aa43-ad99fb1162a4

I tried again a week later, and the problem is exactly the same, It always hangs after uploading the firs few files.

251 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    simon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need my resume to copy from my one drive computer at home as I go to my email and i could not get it. Please help me to open the one drive for me to get my filed resume.

• Tiago Carvalho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having exactly the same issue.

Two weeks ago I was able to do this just fine (with 6 GB of photos ), now it just keeps hanging when uploading a large number of photos (more than 60 seems to do the trick). It hangs at a completely random stage, like 12 photos or 30.

I've reproduced this behavior in Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera. All latest version,s, so I'me assuming the browser is not at fault here.

One thing I'll add to this behavior is that if you cancel one of the hanging photos it will then proceed with the uploading, until it hangs again and you have to cancel another photo from uploading.

This is completely screwing up my usual photo backup routine. I had to resort to use google photos as a backup solution just so I could free space in my cameras cards on the holiday season.

Feedback and Knowledge Base