OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

OneDrive File/Folder List View Default

It is incredibly frustrating that you cannot set the file and folder view to a list format. Either they are stuck as icons (can't change to file view) or you have to constantly switch to file view because icon view is the default.

The icons are too large and take up uneccessary screen space. Some of us rely on the traditional file for for everything.

Please fix this so that List View can be set as the default for a One Drive Account

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply click on "Return to classic OneDrive" to get back to a list view. Then save as a bookmark going forward. Should do the trick until Microsoft solves this ridiculous product "feature".

• Jennifer Dick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! And what's extra frustrating is that this has only become an issue in the last few weeks or so—it *used* to remember my preferred view (also list because who has time for tiles if you're doing any sort of intensive multi-file work). I was wondering if it was due to some new config done at the org-level, but it looks like it's a new bug.

• Peter Linhares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over a month ago my entire team would always see the list view and now we see the icon folders. This view is very cumbersome and is NOT an easy read. So something changed! It appears from what I am reading there is no way to set the 'list' view as the default view?

List view is better for the work I do as well. When I share folders with colleagues, everyone gets confused and frustrated by the ridiculous icon view.

• Edmund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree absolutely with this. OneDrive tells me they don’t yet have a mechanism to make LIST the default in the sorting menu.

I agree with all comments. I thought I had it as a default view, then the huge icons come back. I'm an apple user thinking about why I even use MS OneDrive.

A workaround that was suggested is to save a OneDrive page as a "favorite." I'm using OneDrive on a PC, not a Mac, and I can't see a way to save a OneDrive page as a favorite, so that I can use this workaround. Can someone walk me through exactly how to save a page as a Favorite in OneDrive?

• Oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VERY FRUSTRATING MICROSOFT! Why has my default view changed! You don't even give users the option to change back to a "List View" default setting???

Who's the genious behind this Usability Inability???

GIVE uses the OPTION to set the folder DEFAULT "LIST" VIEW -

Some weeks it stays in List views, other it reverts back to icons every single time I go in. How can something so simple as being able to choose a default view not be possible, it should have been included in the first generation of One Drive. I'm writing this a year later than the original post, still it doesn't work. It's things like this that discourage me from buying into 365.

• Robert Workmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've found a work around that has given me the list view upon opening OneDrive. I open the app, change the view to "List", then save this page as a favorite. When I click on this favorite tab, it opens in list view every time, and so do the subsequent folders that I select.

I totally agree. The font is HUGE and all that extra stuff takes up even more space. I'd rather see more files.

Feedback and Knowledge Base