OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Improve navigation of files/folders in OneDrive.com AND add notion of pinned favorite files/folders

The modern-UI influenced File Explorer looks very simplistic and is good if you are on a touchscreen. It would be awesome if the online File Explorer would include similarities to the Windows Explorer with a structured folder layout on the left where you can pin favourites and fastly switch back two folders/create new folders.

[note: Title updated by Angus Logan to limit duplicates]

356 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthias shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  Angus Logan responded  · 

Hi, I see this as two suggestions:

1) on the web add a tree view similar to Windows Explorer. We aren’t actively looking into creating a tree view, however if switch to the list view you should be able to traverse a deep directory structure pretty quickly.

2) enable pinning of folders/documents so you can get to them quickly. The notion of favorites and being able to get back to folders quickly is something we are looking into. You can do this today using Office by pinning a document to the top of your Recent Docs list.

thanks
    Angus

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Donald Payne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Angus wrote: "The notion of favorites and being able to get back to folders quickly is something we are looking into. You can do this today using Office by pinning a document to the top of your Recent Docs list."

I have 100's of documents under a directory tree and I'm always adding more. I want to pin the one top-level folder, not each document. ("Recent" view shows documents only, not folders.) Pinning a document would do me no good, partly because the "Recent" view does not provide any way to navigate to the folder containing a given document.

FInally, in OneDrive for Business (sharepoint.com), I do not see any "pin" function in the "Recent" view.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add to this, create the ability to add shared folders to your own onedrive. A shortcut or something. Right now I have 100's of shared folders and going through this long list is counter-intuitive. Let us add shared folders (maybe a shortcut or something) to our own onedrive in our own location so we can find them quicker.

• Joey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shocking to see that OneDrive still doesn't have an option like starring a folder in Google Drive, to quickly get to your favorite folders. Makes you wonder if any of these suggestions are taken seriously.

Possibility to mark folders as favourite and to see them on the side menu would be fine.
        If not this, also helpful would be to have - like "Recent" for files - a menu point "Recent folders".
        Right now it's a lot of navigation within the folder structure....
        Also would be really helpful to see the "favourite folders" when moving documents within OneDrive (for business). E.g. moving E-Mail attachments from the standard storing folder with one click to a specific project folder,...

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could get used to using the web interface of OneDrive much faster if there were such a "Favorites" or "Quick Access" section where frequently used folders could be pinned. There's space over on the left ready for it right now. Without this the web interface is just too slow and cumbersome to use for drilling down into a folder structure very far or often. Lose your place, or accidently close the tab (which I've done a million times) and you have to open it up and one slow web page at a time drill down to where you were to begin with.. This feature is SORELY needed.

• ShaunB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even shortcuts created via windows within a onedrive folder to another folder in the same one drive isn't supported in the android Ap. Such a shame

I use several folders and navigate between them. Having a tree is invaluable to enable this. Not having the tree is pushing me to look at other alternatives.

• Kat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of the navigation ability from the left pane essentially makes the left pane useless. It is painful to only be able to navigate in the main area. It makes no sense to have it if it will only allow me to see Files which will take me back to the root.
        Additionally, it is painful that I can't change the column widths, and the Name gets shortened and I see all this unused white space on the screen!

• Eric VanDeGenachte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although there doesn't appear to be a way to designate a folder as a 'Favorite,' there is a category on the OneDrive for Business portal for 'Recent' files, which may solve some of the issues that some clients are experiencing.

Google Drive has the right idea with the facility to "Star" or "favourite" folders, to prevent having to click through several steps to get to a regularly used folder. Lets hope Microsoft catches up quickly as this is a big downfall that they aren't providing something like this.
        Also, having been able to colour code folders in Google, this would also be an ideal feature for Microsoft to add to OneDrive as soon as possible.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft need to work this one out quickly. Big lag behind in terms of efficiency compared to Google Drive. Unfortunately this subject is showing up all over the place so I hope Microsoft take note of all the comments and votes.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just moved from Google Drive to One Drive have noticed that there is no facility to "star" or make specified folders a favourite. This is a necessary feature particularly for efficiency if you need to drill down a number of levels to get to a folder. Another great feature is the ability to change the colours of folders - this is a great feature to define and group folders relating to a specified area. Great for differentiation between departments.

Users should be able to 'favourite' a file/folder and have a separate list of shortcuts to 'favourited' files and folders so we can get to our most frequently used items quickly, even if they're buried seven folders deep.

would be great if one could "favorite" currently often used folders and those would be accesible via a favorites bar, both in app and web. would make things easier for me for sure

• Chandra Sekhar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is very important. We work on certain folder on daily basis and difficult to navigate to them on clicking on the links. So if we can pin a folder to favorites we should be able to navigate to that particular folder. Please provide this option.

• POLYCARPE MALU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

salut les amis,il est clair et respectueux de parametrer son compte par peur f toute circonstance.le monde est vaste et ca sera exclu de vous lire extra-erkutu par les inconnues.hi everyworld.POLYC

• Jon Bown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Matthias, I agree fully a clickable windows explorer style hierarchy tree would really sell One Drive to me. Currently I see One Drive's potential, but the lack of this feature holds me back from using it. Also - just looking at Dropbox - this has a prettier front page, is more intuitive and more navigable

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base