OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Add ability to add metadata tags to files

Adds the ability to tag documents with metadata tags and to add another function to search in these metadata tags.

For users it will brings new opportunities how to organize their data. It's a different approach compared to storing files only in a directory structure.

1,381 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Martin Majoroš shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Music Metadata is a must, as you can play music from Groove but can't edit those tags :(

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful if files had an editable "Description" field in the file's metadata (just like within Windows Explorer) that could be used to store notes about the file. For example, I save pictures of my shopping receipts to OneDrive and I'd love the ability to add a description with notes about the receipt to remind me about a purchase when I'm reviewing my bank statements later.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just do it! We're trying to get past the folder paradigm and need the ability o tag, just as in SharePoint

• Brendan Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone else noticed the standard Microsoft metadata don't sync up? For example, I added information in the comments field on a file, and I can view it in my file explorer. But even if I display that field in the classic view, it's blank. I tried a couple other fields and it was the same.

• andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needed. I'm constantly presented with folder structures that are 9 or 10 layers deep, trying to find anything takes almost as long as the work itself.

Let's get rid of folders for documents and just have views based on tags. Sharepoint is fine but sometimes a simple file drop area is what's needed.

• K Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main reason I don't use OneDrive as my main file organizing tool or as a collaboration tool is because it does not have to ability to provide tags at the file level. Please provide this capability. It would make it so much more powerful.

• Bobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be done! I would find it extremely useful!!

• T Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to upload photos but only when tagged, so with uploads you will get a notification (photo is not tagged, please tag first) offcourse this should be an option...

I see it as a garantueed album builder...
        Also please at folder structure per month ;...

This would be so incredibly helpful for collorbaring within OneDrive for business. Think Photos or Google Photos where you can search for a specific image in a database of photos.

• Jed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems straight forward. It looks like the document libraries in SharePoint but without the "+" to add more columns.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a step backwards not to have metadata tagging available for OneDrive for Business files.

Kindly advise how do I add names to "people"? Your software exhibits them beautifully in circles but I cant work out how to add names to each individual. Secondly is there a way of deleting irrelevant or people whose faces I no longer want to see?

• Oli Pyke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto Tags embedded in files when possible (optional)
        Tag browser
        Tag people via suggestions
        Tag multiple items
        Tag all file types with relevant tag standards
        All the functionality of Windows Photo Gallery (Batch tag, suggestions etc)

• Joe Gilland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of metadata is causing our users to turn elsewhere. Primarily to another solution named DropBox. C'mon Microsoft team ... bring back AND enhance OD and ODFB's usability of metadata. Our customers will be happy and might even buy a round for us!

Douglas Pearce - any update on this post November 30, 2016?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base