OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Allow direct acces to shared files using "real" links

If I have a file stored on my OneDrive account I should be able to share it and access it directly as a link:
http:\\oneDrive.com/userID/document.extention.
http:\\oneDrive.com/userID/image.png

Now accessing a file is dome using a link... to a web page.

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Elvis Nica shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
tell us more  ·  Casey Penk responded  · 

Hi Elvis, can you tell us more about this suggestion? Currently you can access OneDrive files using the links, like onedrive.live.com/file_name.

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft needs to stop castrating their customers! I'm not going to buy your Azure platform just so I can upload files that can be directly accessed (a technology that's been around EXACTLY since the start of the internet).

All I want to do is to have images referenced by my Exchange Server's mail flow global signature (since I can't embed them directly into it). But I can't provide a URL in the HTML code because the response is a web page, not the image file itself. Or if it does in fact provide a direct link to the image, random internet users are rejected from viewing it until they browse to the 'share link' page, view it, and THEN re-view the direct URL file.

Point in short order: no authorization logic/redirect should get in the way of a publicly shared file especially when accessed directly. "Public" users aren't a user group - they're precisely NOT a user group. They're everyone else.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely ridiculous that we can share with link but the links are not direct. I want to run scripts but it is impossible with the current way OneDrive gives INDIRECT LINKS.

• unknown.artists commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Casey! We dont have! The 'direct link' is fake. I am going to explain what´s a direct link:

1. you click;
    2. download starts.

What happens with onedrive 'direct links':

1. you click;
    2. you are directed to onedrive direct link;
    3. you click on direct link;
    4. download starts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think OneDrive allows you direct links. All the reason to avoid it and deal with Dropbox, they allow direct links on their paid accounts.

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to use a link in my excel spreadsheet to pull data from an excel file on Onedrive. I have multiple users that use the excel spreadsheet and need to update links by accessing the file located in my Onedrive folder. Is it possible to make this happen?

• Karl F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Searching "OneDrive download link" it's how I found the solution I needed. Method changes over the years. This page was helpful http://metadataconsulting.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-to-get-direct-download-link-from.html?m=1

Related, but not same: This past week I had to **** a user zip Excel files for download because on the ODfB side they only displayed in Excel web and could not be saved when shared via link.

• Diego Giglio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Casey, I think I can tell more details.
    When I do a image sharing. I've the option to get a direct link like that: "https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2A1038ED216A4D05!1688&authkey=!AD0-2PonBKThx4E&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg", but if I put this link in my email signature, the client (Outlook) can't load this.
    There are a service that working with this concept it is the tinypic.com

I hope help you.
    Thank you.

• A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

He means he wants directs links to files obviously. And non dynamic ones. You can't embbed Onedrive files in forums. "We don't support dynamic files, please use a proper direct link to the file." It's nearly the feature I most need, having a direct link to render the PNG images in the browser in full quality and without your idiotic viewer and its ******** compression that murders the file completely. 2016 FFS!!

• Ryan Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Late reply, but I want this as well. It should be an option when generating a link. The link that OneDrive creates does not work for embedding an image into a forum, for example.

P.S. there are ways to get the direct link, but they are all sort of manual and time consuming. This is such a common functionality of sharing on the internet that I'm not sure why it isn't built in (yet) to OneDrive.

• Vladimir Lysak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now you can get a direct link to an image. Make a public access to the picture. But the path is too long. Example:

https://public.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y2pNdYdZ1uzYcdS3WMes-4M3BbpmJo9Jhl-hn_fr8fsDsvM_Wxt_Nn_hMHJfq_kLE_F7kzbyWg4OCEq0U5_cPl1AidKHPJLWDERsoIXhButEpzTJgh4bX4wSfKG5-o3fcqg/2015_01_28_01_23_56_ProShot.jpg

I would like to get a direct link to any file type, not just images. It can be used for hosting websites!

• Iain Hallam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect this means wanting to be able to generate a direct link to a file, and have the file itself download instead of presenting a webpage that shows the file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base