OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Support advanced search like in Windows Search

And don’t forget to index PDF tags.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Infinicat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
tell us more  ·  Casey Penk responded  · 

Hi, can you tell us more about what you mean by advanced search? Thank you.

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Melanie Gallant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an ability to browse by file type for example to see all video files. Also to search by time span for example all files added between August 1st and August 20th 2016.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being to search on a subfolder, and to restrict results to file names rather than file contents is a big start. Microsoft is pushing OneDrive as a place to store research files, which can number in the millions. The search and filter functions are completely inadequate to replace file-system storage

• José Oliver-Didier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows File Explorer's search options provides operators support as well as filtering the metadata. It would be nice if all if not some of the functionality ports over to OneDrive. I frequently use these operators to search among my photos. I especially rely on the Geotags, Descriptive Tags and People Tags, as well as the star ratings added using Windows Photo Gallery or Windows Explorer. The Search box should be a important feature.

I must add Google Photos does a good job with this, why not Microsoft?

• Shai Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to search my pictures by parameters like Camera Device or type (photo \ video)

• eesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make Searching happy! Make the search support REGEXP, Regular Expression. This should be something quick to implement, I guess.

• Infinicat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Casey I have a large collection of keyword-tagged PDF files. I would like to be able to search for item on OneDrive.com just like I can with Windows Search, using the same query format (i.e., Advanced Query Syntax, as documented at <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx>).

When this is done it would also be great if you provide an option in Office web app to handle search:-URIs (e.g., <search:query=name:"Some+paper"+tag:"some+keyword"+type:pdf>) directly in OneDrive.com. (I put lots of search:-links in my documents so I can find the right files no matter where they are. It’s unfortunate that currently Office web apps don’t even handle search:-URIs correctly (at least OneNote doesn’t).)

Feedback and Knowledge Base