OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Lift 1000 files upload limit.

Many a time I get better speed of uploading or at least immediate upload starting. The 1000 file limit really hurts there. Also suppose I am on a computer without admin access and want to upload my project folder having many short sized files.... I get stuck. When you have a big house, make the roads wide too!!

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thinking about it  ·  Angus Logan responded  · 

We looked at increasing the file upload limit via the browser to OneDrive.com. The reason we chose 1000 was because we wanted a number that worked well in most browsers.

I’d recommend if you are uploading thousands of files, it is easier to do it via the desktop sync client.

Will leave this open but likely won’t get to it for a while as it is dependent on browser tech.

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jurren Gans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just uploaded 1400 files. Agree on using the sync client, but it seems this uservoice can be closed? Anyone knows the new limit?

• terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 as it includes OneDrive with 1TB storage.
    However your Terms did not state in any place that there is a limit on the number of files (20,000) that can be in my OneDrive folder and that none of the files will be synced should the number exceed that amount.
    Please can you unlock this limit for me or give me a discount on my Office package. I've spent days trying to fix this syncing problem only eventually to be told by one of your development team that there is file amount limit.
    This is wrong and you've mislead me into buying a service, like an airline offering up to 5 suitcases as long as they don't total more than 5kg!

• Per Kjellqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason many people are uploading large quantity of files is because you removed placeholders in Windows 10. I have a large collection of photographs which is too large to store on my new Surface Book. Therefore I cannot sync via the desktop. I have now been trying to upload via onedrive.com for several days, and at this speed it will take at least another week.

If you want to have an upload limit on onedrive.com you have to activate placeholders again. You cannot keep both limits.

• Marc Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BS - Yes, this all sounds really simple, straightforward and absolutely ideal - provided we all fit into this minute little pigeon-hole in which you seem to be implying we all belong.
    'When you move, do you carry each and every single book, sock or fork separately to the truck?' - where did you come up with THIS analogy? The last time I* moved was 25 years ago! OF COURSE it makes sense in this isolated case. However, an awful lot of users will want their Cloud to be a ubiquitous, multi-platform, readily accessible storage/backup area where all and any files can be accessed WITHOUT the inconvenience and hassle of having to unzip everything.
    I'm no expert in this field, but I have always understood the concept of batch file transfer to mean a steady, inexorable moving of files, one after the other; why is a 'limit' relevant at all in ANY browser? I have just quit with Google Drive because I couldn't get any downloaded video clips to play, but I don't recall EVER having this limit placed on the number of files transferred - I just copied any folder I liked over to the Cloud and it shifted it in its own time. Sometimes took days but it all got there. No complaints. No hassle.

• BS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, doesn't that all depend on how you want your files to be stored? I mean, do you really, really need to access thousands of files anywhere, anytime? Or do just want them to be kept in a safe place? In the latter case just zip or rar them all (most of them) into huge chunks and forget about file limits. This also applies to people concerning about the up/download speed. When you move, do you carry each and every single book, sock or fork separately to the truck? Ask someone you know with good background knowledge in programming, what it takes to open/close and transfer one single file and then multiply that with thousands of tiny files (of thousands of angry people). I mean, one got to stay realistic, or?

• Michael Halberstadt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the way the 1000 file/folder limit is imposed is problematic. I've decided to upload my music collection(s) which straddle several computers. First I tried uploading with Internet Explorer assuming that Microsoft products would work best together. But turns out oddly enough I found I needed to use Chrome. Whatever... so I started dumping groups of folders as they were organized by iTunes into OneDrive via Chrome.

Quickly I'd run into problems with the 1000 limit. But of course when I drag a group of folders containing music, I have no idea how many sub folders are in there. Between "A Drop in the Grey" and "Aztec Camera" could be 100 or 5000 files and folder... how would I know?!

So when I dump a group of files OneDrive seems to create the folder structure first, then populate the contents. This is problematic because when it figures out that there are more than the allotted 1000 files/folders it shoots back an error and doesn't *finish* populating the folders. That leaves me with a bunch of empty and partially filled folders. And it leaves me with a big headache trying to find out what did transfer.

I have a workaround using another Google product I'm trying. I'm presently uploading to Google Drive and will move to OneDrive using MultDrive. But I hope Microsoft can sort out some of the rough edges around this otherwise very cool service.

• eesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For immediate upload sync client is not an option. And there is no certainty that files would be uploaded with a certain period of time. So, browser upload is more interactive, reliable too. Why don't you move it to 4000 files, and make us happy? Or let user set it via settings page. Give this ti power users only who requests it... Its bit disappointing to see you are less directional on this.

• david8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, I hardly need faster uploads! Even Google Drive is faster! :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see many important ideas that you accept are pending for long. Many are commented by ms admin but without a timeline or production speeds are very slow. Many ideas are common. Why do you need these common ideas from us? Evaluate products of your competitors will tell you what next to do. Things are moving fast and OD still looks like a harddisk with limitations. Slow production cycle hurts avid users like us. Are you preparing some gifts for this Christmas for us? Seriously, I think some are waiting for us. Our support is your gift. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base