OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Sort by file type

There should be an option to sort by file type so you can order things more quickly if you are looking for say a word document that you have deleted by accident.

225 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AJ Perkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sort by file type is needed, i cant get my users to use the web view without it, they are forced to use the very slow file explorer view, please add this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on already, 2 years without sort by file type. I think I am just going to use Google for everything. Microsoft is it's own worst enemy.

Please add sort by tile type in the folders list along with the modified sharing and size dropdowns. We are in 2018 and I would expect you guys n gals to be further along with OneDrive than what is currently shown.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And when you get your hands on this issue... hopefully before I retire in 2042... please also think about making columns customisable. "File type" wouldn't be the only attribute missing when you want to sort files or get a good overview of what is stored on your OneDrive. What about e.g. "Folder size" or "Status of synchronisation"?

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Douglas Pearce, are you guys still "thinking about it"? This and many other seemingly little things makes onedrive uncompetitive. Can you please update us on when this feature would be added?

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can we not set the default sort order when I use OneDrive as my My Documents folder? Why? Over 2 years? 2 years! Such a simple, simple thing that literally is making me insane every time I have to open or save a file.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is taking way too long, like seriously the only reason I'm still using onedrive is because of my company but WTF, it's been over 2 years now. I'm soon going to recommend to use a different option, there are too many synchronizations and shortcomings. Both dropbox and google onedrive are way better. I have 1 PC at work and 2 laptops and a phone. I have had many synchronizations issues already with onedrive but never with dropbox.

I would be a nice platform but please at simple common functionality like this AND fix your synchronization issues.

Thinking about it? Should have been a choice just like it is in File Explorer. So, I have to set up extra folders to hold file types for every major area I work with?

• HB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One would expect that this functionality to be immediate given the existing capabilities. It would save users a great deal of time.

• Jay Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did you know that an idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. Are You Embarrassed By Your #VoIP Quality of Service? Here's What To Do ►►► https://route-test.com/

• Marcelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thinking about it??? Really? This should be a no-brainer. I don't have hours and hours to sit here rearranging hundreds of files by file type. That should never have been an afterthought!

• Bernie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add that sort feature. It seems part of the improvement process for all Microsoft applications neglects the power user and ends up making things more cumbersome for people who prefer to customize their working space. Prime example would be the ribbon which is brilliant but always forces two steps because we cant customize the toolbar for one click commonly used functions.

First thing I looked for was how to sort by pdf/word/excel. Seems like a no-brainer.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropbox does not have this feature either. I didn't see this thread beforehand and I made the exact same suggestion. I am totally baffled why this is not standard practice for any file service.

It is almost like this entire generation of UI designers came from some Mickey Mouse school of logic where colors and kindergarten simplicity have replaced common sense. At least iOS makes sense most of the time (which I definitely cannot say for Windows 10).

• Luqman Yumi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. They already have it in Explorer, why not implement the same thing on OneDrive. Even Google drive doesn't have this functionality. Bummer.

Feedback and Knowledge Base