OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Ability to change date of pictures

I uploaded tons of old pictures to OneDrive, and all of them were uploaded with the wrong dates, messing up my "All Photos" view.

Please, add the ability for me to change the date of those pictures, with the option to change all pictures inside an album.

417 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Christian Hartung shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  Douglas Pearce responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion and we’ll take a look. Please make sure any bugs are filed with support (use the cog on the website or shake the mobile app).

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem. There must be an option to change the date of a file.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not happening …?! You can change the date taken property in Windows 10 Photos for individual photos so why not in OneDrive? It would save me going back to Photos, changing the date there and then syncing. Oh, and by the way, it would be very useful to have a batch replace/ignore. At present I have to chose individually before syncing or uploading will continue.

Cheers in anticipation, Tony

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft - this is seriously annoying.
        This idea is essentially calling out a fault in the upload feature and you're still doing noting???

• Travis Fawcett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a genuine question, why is this not native in File Explorer let alone Windows Photos? It's likely me? If my camera's time is 1hr out from travelling and I upload the pictures taken, THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO NATIVELY ADJUST THE TIME TAKEN ON WINDOWS? I'm honestly clueless on what the purpose of allowing users to edit SOME File Properties. Yet, specifically with pictures, you cannot edit the time taken (Or it isn't clear). But somehow users can edit Date Created.

• Dan Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to modify the date take is pretty essential. I have recently digitized lots of old photo's using my smartphone - obviously OneDrive see's the date as the date I took the digital photo of the original photo. The original photos all have the date on the back so it would be great if I could correct this to have the timelines work. Google Photo's allows this (but doesn't allow tagging, and reduces quality) if OneDrive supported editing the Metadata it would easily win any comparison between the two offerings.

• Rony F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the author of the Idea, actually that makes OneDrive impractical to be my "go to" option for searching my photos when I need them later. This problem mess up our photos timeline big time....

• Lori Bierman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem is incredibly frustrating. Every year I make a calendar for my significant other with photos of us and things we did in that month. Not being able to trust the dates in OneDrive makes this task needlessly complicated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE FIX THIS CHANGE DATE PROBLEM. AS YEARS GO BY WE FORGET DATE TAKEN . SEVERAL OF MY PHOTOS HAVE THE WRONG DATE ON THEM. HOW DO WE CHANGE THIS BEFORE WE ALSO FORGET THE DATE /YEAR IT WAS TAKEN. THIS PROBLEM HAS GONE ON WAY TO LONG . window 10 photo. THANK YOU SENIOR

• Sandra Curry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 - I have downloaded thousands of old photos and redated them. I have used by Picasa and Properties. either way at some point the dates change - all by themselves to dates that match nothing! It may redate the photo 2-1/2 years later ie. our wedding was redated from 5/2/1986 to 10/6/1988?? This isnt even the date they were downloaded. And batches of photos will not all change to the same date. This brings me to tears! Why is this happening???

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of my pictures in photo gallery have come out dated 2025 !! Why, I certainly didn't date them as such, I see some other people are having this same problem, would appreciate any help to rectify this.

• Nur Caglar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It works still with a big mistake. I uploaded a pic yesterday, but it is date in 25 july 2050! We are not in 2050!! Pls

• Marek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this ? It's been almost a year since the idea was submitted. I have 100+ GBs of photos backed up in onedrive and a number of them need the dates to be corrected. I'm slowly reaching my quota so I'll need to upgrade to 1TB plan. If there are no changes in functionality then I'll guess I have to move everything to Google....

• ablaze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case, it was the images captured by my phone camera, which sync to OneDrive. I walked into the same issue, and I synced all files using OneDrive app. Once, all files were on my hard drive, I wrote a C# .NET program of 20 lines, and ran it. My date issue was a thing of a past in under 10 minutes. Here is my blog post describing the story and resolution: https://wildclick.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/fix-modified-date-from-file-name/

• DSP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If using the onedrive app, then you can go into file explorer, and under the onedrive folder you can then select all the files in the relevant folder. Once the multiple files have been selected, right click and select properties, then select the details tab, scroll down to the header Origin and select into the 'date taken' option. You can now amend the year or date for all selected files.

• Gil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FLICKR is the absolute best at updating metadata (tags, descriptions, Titles, and others) but since FLICKR does not offer a synchronization option, I was hoping I could use one drive to maintain my photo and video library. Yes, I can update the information on my PC and presumably, all updates will be propagated to OneDrive web, but I want to be able to update on the web and have updates to metadata propagated to my PC. Being able to do this will allow me to use my phone or tablet to make updates wherever I am rather than having to sit at my PC to do this tedious work. Please incorporate Windows Live Photo Gallery functionality into OneDrive.

• Giovanni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Live Photo Gallery had a handy feature to change date and time for pictures in batches. This is particularly handy if you forget to update to time zone on a camera when traveling. Please bring this ability to OneDrive. Probably the metadata pane could be a good place to do so.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base