OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Display the number of files and folders in a folder and its subfolders

I would appreciate to have the ability to see in the properties how many files and folders does a selection of files and folders contain (files and folders selected, plus all the files and folders in all the subfolders of the selection) on the website, like it is possible on Windows: today, you can only know how many elements you have ticked, or how many files and folders does only one folder contain (without including the files and folders in the subfolders).

341 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thinking about it  ·  Can Comertoglu responded  · 

Thank you for sharing this. We don’t have specifics to share, but wanted to provide an update that we are looking into this for future updates.

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that knowing the number of files in various folders is critical and basic. The # of files shows in the OneDrive folder on my Surface Pro. Why wouldn't/shouldn't it show when I look at my (cloud) One Drive? This is a must fix or I will find a better service.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only should we be able to get proper folder properties including # of files, # of folders, and size, but I'm sure it would be possible to have a "Compare" function that will do a full comparison between the online store and what is in your local repository. That is what a PREMIUM product would provide to their paying clients

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy that Onedrive doesn't have this functionality. Why would MS leave this out? I'm sure this Uservoice forum thread won't result in any changes being made, as it's been around for nearly a year and a half and no changes, or even a reason why this cannot be done.

• AP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this is not s standard feature. There must be something else going on here, and I believe MS has omitted this basic feature on purpose.

ABSOLUTELY agree ...this would be an incredibly useful and really very important feature. Just from a basic management perspective this is very much missing. I'm managing thousands of files and right now finding it very difficult to confirm I have a match between OneDrive and my Local repository.

This is so important to me that I'm starting to think about a possible move to another Cloud service because the time it takes to QC file counts is taking too much energy when it should be a simple thing displayed within "Details" of a selection.

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just finished uploading 137GB of folders and files. Online I find 124GB of files. And now I can't pinpoint if and what something is missing. This makes Onedrive unreliable as a service. Fallback to icloud...

• Mike Noviskie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a standard feature?? How has MS not listened for three years about this??? I have a large backup for a client that was interrupted, and have no way to know which folders are incomplete. Meanwhile, attempts to just copy over are rejected because the folders already exist. Massive fail, once again, OneDrive. Despite the many recent improvements, it's still clueless as to what normal people experience and need.

• Julia Pasquale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

December 2018 still nothing. This is crucial for my business as we must be able to report to clients a file number comparison to verify success of a migration.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just recently switched to One drive. I can't believe this has not been fixed yet. This makes it useless as you can't determine if all files have been uploaded.

• ddunne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, don't you know? You're not supposed to use folders in Sharepoint! Search will find exactly what you need!

Seriously, Dropbox took File Explorer and built their entire business around it. And Microsoft cannot effectively implement it in their own product? This is such a basic troubleshooting function for support staff.

• M. Blais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed with the others, this is a critical function that is missing from the onedrive service. competitors such as Box offer this basic service.

Just synced 15GB of data, on my HD i had 57524 files in 7016 directories, as the drive is shared, my partner synced but has on his HD he got only 56688 files in 6199 direcories. Haw can we know where the problem is if we do not know how many files and directories are on the cloud?
    Incredible that this basic function is not available!

• Ramji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys just select the files on your folder with information (i) button ON. It will tell you how many files have been selected. That should give you the number of files in the folder.

• Peter Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's unbelievable that we cannot see the number of files and folders in OneDrive. I'm moving from Box [excellent product] to OneDrive and I need to know all the files are transferred. BASIC STUFF MICROSOFT> Please attend to this.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 1 OneDrive account -- or whatever is the right term for a collection of files in/on OneDrive managed by a single email address and password. And I have 2 computers linked to that account. Unfortunately, even though both computers claim to be up-to-date on OneDrive, they differ by 6 files and 1013 bytes when OneDrive properties are requested from File Explorer. Sure, that's a small percentage of the 164,000 files and 121 GB I have on OneDrive, but without a count from OneDrive itself (via the online view), how am I even going to know which computer is right?
    (Or if either is right?) Of course, then I need counts and sizes for each folder also, to track down where the problem is. The obvious place to report that info is in the optional Info/Details pane.

I want to check what is uploaded to one drive and on my computer to make sure folder and file numbers are the same

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base