OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Add the ability to people tag

I would like the ability to tag faces on pictures that have been uploaded to OneDrive. Currently Windows Live Photo Gallery has this ability and is generally really good at guessing faces. Also, Facebook has facial recognition that is about 97% accurate.

My request is:
-add ability to group pictures by people, adding this as an option along the top row, where we currently only see "Photos Albums Tags" right now. Any untagged picture will show in 'untagged'
-add facial recognition to suggest tags for pictures
-make this facial recognition at least as good as that in Windows Live Photo Gallery
-add a grouping along the top for "Places" for our geotagged pictures.

3,293 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

81 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want onedrive to automatically tag everyone and then just ask me to confirm it got it right.

• james commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

windows photos app recently got face tagging and grouping but the algorithm is awful and nowhere near as accurate as windows live photo gallery was 6 years ago

I also don't want to invest hours and hours manually tagging faces(again) , if the info is not going to be stored in the photo's xmp metadata
        please when you do eventually build face recognition into onedrive, use the xmp standard which ms helped develop

I'm not sure if repeating how desirable this feature is is valuable but I'm repeating it. I literally synched all my onedrive photos to my computer just to use Google's Picasa software for face recognition. Not great.

• Eric Liprandi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this new trend of "well, vote for your idea and we will prioritize in our backlog".
        News flash for Microsoft: you know how I vote on features? I use other company's products. The more features they have that you don't, the more I use their products instead of yours...
        While this obviously need to be an "opt-in" feature as many people may not want to use it for privacy reasons, Google Photos has had that for years, helping me create albums in no-time by simply saying "hey, find me pictures of me and my wife while we were in Vail". Any idea how long it would take me to do this with OneDrive?
        This is such a frustrating process that Microsoft (and many others) have implemented... if want me (and other users) to help you prioritize your work, please pay me for it!

• Chad Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-10! I do NOT want Microsoft scanning pictures and digitally thumbprinting faces/people. This is why I do NOT use Google Photos or Facebook.
        A file sync solution (OneDrive) is not a photo taxonomy solution, they are radically different and should remain so.

Lol, yeah, they are still thinking. I like the idea of keeping all my stuff in Onedrive, but Google Photos is pretty amazing recognizes faces. This is a feature that is greatly needed.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with comments below. OneDrive would be my go-to photo storage with facial recognition and people tagging. Google has this feature, and would be great for OneDrive online.

• Ziweth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been debating on the best photo storage for my needs and the lack of facial recognition to group photos is the only feature that keeps me from fully adopting OneDrive. Please guys ... you have a great product, let's have this feature.

Btw, if MS is believe photo tags is good alternative to face recognition, I have to say it is surely NOT. As a matter of fact, the whole "Tags" feature is close to useless from my experience. On the other hand, I use Google Photos face recognition a lot...

Apparently face recognition is NOT a potential revenue generator at all and MS doesn't believe it is a priority...

I am a office365 users because of cloud storage space and shared office suite license. But I have to use google photos to search for photos. And I getting tired to wait for MS to match the now considered basic functionality...

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yawn, once again Microsoft thinking about maybe catching up with basic functionality that has been available on alternative platforms (Google, IOS) for years already. Haven't you worked out why you are not #1 anymore yet? Stop allowing your competitors to steal your customers through lack of support for basic functionality available everywhere else, customers can only stay loyal for so long before they have to put function before preference and vote with their feet. What can you possibly be waiting for here?

• Badajoz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tagged people for years in Windows Live Photo Gallery. Please catch up to the past.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base