Add the ability to people tag
I would like the ability to tag faces on pictures that have been uploaded to OneDrive. Currently Windows Live Photo Gallery has this ability and is generally really good at guessing faces. Also, Facebook has facial recognition that is about 97% accurate.
My request is:
-add ability to group pictures by people, adding this as an option along the top row, where we currently only see "Photos Albums Tags" right now. Any untagged picture will show in 'untagged'
-add facial recognition to suggest tags for pictures
-make this facial recognition at least as good as that in Windows Live Photo Gallery
-add a grouping along the top for "Places" for our geotagged pictures.
Wanted to provide an update here: this is something we’re planning on doing, but don’t have a timeframe to share yet
It is plain and simple request. In fact, I don't think Microsoft should wait for customers to request for this feature before adding it
Adding the ability to both automatically and manually tag faces/people (i.e., what you have in Windows Life Photo Gallery from 5+? years ago...) would make me switch to OneDrive from Google Photos. But as of now, I would not use OneDrive to store photos.
Jeff Chandler commented
I completely an utterly agree with this suggestion! It is the biggest annoyance for me as I use OneDrive to store all my photos and would love the ability to tag photos automatically with facial recognition and place grouping. Apple Photo does this well and makes it so easy to automatically tag people with facial recognition. It feels so backwards to not have this feature as so many do now. It all feels a bit clunky and not that fun to use.
I would suggest if the auto tagging can be done by face tiles. So that one can see all photos of a specific person by clicking on just one face.
Facial recognition is a must. Stop thinking about it and do it.
John Maggio commented
1. need to use facial recognition to generate name tags we have already identified. If facebook and google can implement it, surely MSFT can do it. Just use the technology MSFT is already working on with Face API.
2. you need to allow searches based on a tag or multiple tags.
3. you need to allow creating of folders based on tags. for example a photo with a tag of p1 and p2 should allow me to create a folder that includes all p1 and p2 photos. I should also create a folder that has just p1 and a folder that has just p2. Same picture but linked to each folder.
4. we should be able to share based on a tag or tags. I want to share with someone all photos that include p1 tag.
5. I should be able to search on photos without any of MY tags.
6. The tags WE apply should be saved with the photo permanently as an option.
7. allow us to turn off the automatic generalized tags that MSFT provides. They are not very useful. I will never need to see all horses or such.
8. There should be a way for us to tweak a facial recognition by appying more tags to a picture and the facial recognition learns from our tags. First we need facial recognition.
I just started my 1 year free o365/1tb onedrive. In a year if there is not a more robust tagging and facial recognition, i will discontinue o365 and move my stuff to a service that has features specifically for photos. i want to use MSFT, but I also don't have all my life for them to embrace what others are already doing.
This was available in tools for previous windows versions. I was baffled when I couldn't find it in Windows 10.
Searching photo by face
Agrouping photos by face
Allow for editing of and searching by existing tags in photos.
maybe it's time to move photo storage to Google...
Am surprised this basic feature, an intelligent photo sorting mechanism, is still only under consideration.
Face recognition is essential - it's the best way to make sure you balance the number of photos across the children!!!
[Deleted User] commented
Yes, we need this feature to continue being supported now that Microsoft and everyone else in the world is migrating their image processing to the cloud- please don't leave us in the dust. The auto-generated tags and albums that OneDrive creates are not very useful. How often do I say to myself "hey, i would love to see all the photos i've ever taken which had a dog in them!!" no- it's much more practical and useful and likely for a user to say "i'd like to see all the photos with me and my wife together" or "all the photos of our daughter", things that actually mean something to us. All the photo managers used to do this but one by one the corporations have pulled the plug on the desktop apps and they are trying to migrate everything to the cloud. Windows Live Photo Gallery has not been updated since 2012, Picasa has pulled the plug as of March 2016, and pretty much the choices have dried up. Please offer it in OneDrive and WIndows going forward. Thanks.
This is an essential feature, could you provide an update as to whether this is going to be tackled please?
José Oliver-Didier commented
Windows Photo Gallery had a very cool feature in which photos uploaded and face tags done in Facebook will be written back to the file. Other people tagged their faces and the tag would show up in Windows. The feature no longer works as Facebook pulled the plug on Microsoft Facebook Connect.
OneDrive should have something similar. People Tags added in OneDrive should be saved to the file and thus available in Windows.
agree! is a must to have
Even better this would integrate with existing person tag in Photo Gallery as it already does for the normal tags
Photo tagging is a must feature, Microsoft should bring this back!!!