OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Make it easier to search for files in the recycle bin. Right now there is no way to search the recycle bin other than scrolling down.

There is currently no way to efficiently search the recycle bin. The only option is to just scroll down. If you have a large amount of files in the recycle bin like I do, it is sometimes next to impossible to restore the file I am looking for. Another thing is you cannot open folders that are in the recycle bin. So if I am looking for a file in a folder I have to restore the whole folder to get to the file.

412 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
GeMarr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thinking about it  ·  Can Comertoglu responded  · 

We’re thinking about this for our future planning but don’t have specifics to share yet.

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Enrique Hernandez Stromberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accidentally deleted a big folder after spending hours organizing pictures. with 40k files in there, it was impossible to just restore the folder to the last state. So I had to recover all files. Basically wasted hours because there is no easy way to search for a folder to just recover it. The recycle bin view simply lacks a lot of features, and it's unusable except for a basic case of someone trying to recover 2 or 3 files.

• Toby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a vital tool, especially when working on shared folders with a team. Recent issues with files going missing on transfer have casued huge disruption and an inability to search the recycle bin is costing a massive amount of time and money. Equally, can the recycle bin not be made available on the OneDrive desktop app??

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can, why is that? how do you expect people to use the recycle bin and recover data correctly? Data is organized in Folders and subfolders, etc...

We need to see the data in the same way the file system organizes it to just put it all in a big long list without previews makes it useless.

if you have no plans to address this are you saying Microsoft WANTS the recycle bin to be useless?

if so why does it even exist?

We need to see folders and subfolders, files in those folders, preview of files and then a date filter so we can see snapshots based on as of when. For example show me the recycle bin as of Monday or Friday or Today, etc..

Otherwise it does not help in data recovery and isnt that the whole point???

Or do you just like not getting the job done well?

• hugo perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I deleted a complete cellphones backup from onedrive and tried to recover a file deleted before this backup.

Believe me it takes years to get to letter A when you have 50k + files that start with a 0 haha

• Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be great to be able to sort the delete items in recycle bin via file type

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a complete novice, but I search the recycle bin by "Date Deleted" and have never failed to find the file I want. Just make sure you have the "Date Deleted" column showing and click on the small down arrow to the right of the Date Deleted title, and a calendar drop-down window will appear allowing you to search deleted files and folders by date.

Not only recycle bins, also any folder to search is a painful affair. Even not able to reach to file name starting alphabet available. Please add

• Rufus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very painful to find a file in the recycle bin. Ideally, we should be able to search by name (partial or full) or date range, at least. Then be able to recover from the search results. I just spent about 30 minutes looking for a file, scrolling until I finally found it.

• Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search actually finds files in the Recycle bin very efficiently, but you can't restore the files from the Search window. I can see the files I want to restore in a second. I can select the files I want to restore, but selecting them doesn't bring up "restore" as an option. I can't restore unless I select the files from the Recycle bin view, which doesn't show the full filename and takes forever to scroll through.

I accidently deleted my OneNote notebook, which is going to be insanely difficult to recover.

Yes, please add a search option. Scrolling through 80,000 files is literally impossible

What are you guys doing, does anyone at Microsoft actually use OneDrive? I just deleted a large folder and even if I find the name of the folder in Recycle Bin, it just restores an empty folder.

We need an option to search the Recycle Bin, just just scroll down an insanely long list of files

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base