OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Give the ability to copy and rename files / folder through web portal

I currently see no way of copying a file or folder in the same directory (making a copy of it). I would love and option like "Copy and Rename." This would allow me to have folder structure templates that I can easily make a copy of instead of having this template in its own folder and copying it a level up.

186 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Derek Sorensen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ang Yi Shuan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long do you need to "Think about it"? Till the cows come home? I just moved from Dropbox and Google Drive to Onedrive and am TOTALLY appalled to see these ESSENTIAL VITAL BASIC features missing.

• Daniel Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a basic feature that shouldn't be missing. I can copy a file to any folder EXCEPT the folder it is currently in. This capability has been in Windows for years.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE do this. I use this function all the time in Google Drive and in File Explorer. It is a real detriment having it missing from One Drive because it means I have to download a file, save and rename it, and upload the new file.

I am using One Drive because of a client, but it is leaving a very negative impression.
    Thank you.

• Simon Hastings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a rather obvious omission! I've been trying to create an easy to use E-buletin, that all staff at my school can add to prior to it being emailed to parents and students. Being able to simply copy and rename a template ready for each new day would have solved this so easily.

• Johannes Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely crazy that this isn't a built in function. I'm getting rather sick of using OneDrive. Their functionality is lagging way behind googles equivalent services. Not only that, I just had to rewrite my entire post after logging in wiped what I had written.

Come on microsoft, get it together.

• Kelly Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature for the way my school district uses shared files. They work from a template within their assigned folder. They must customize the template weekly and save the newest version to the folder. At this time, the only way for them to update the info. and save a new copy is to work via the desktop and do a "save as". There should be a way to stay within "work in word online" and rename the file within the same folder it started in. Maybe something like "work with a copy".

Feedback and Knowledge Base