OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the OneDrive web experiences?

Allow search for files in the current folder instead of searching files in all folders onedrive.

536 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pedro Cunha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is indeed something we need urgently. I have shared some folders with some other people of my work and like this told them they find all the information in my cloud. But when they want to search for it, not possible to have an additional tool with the filters to show "folders", like this only the folders will be shown. Now they are getting hundreds of files but useless for them and too much time consuming to search for it. So how to solve this?

• Anthony Brannan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately OneDrive is pretty much useless to me because i cannot search for a file by keywords in the file names ... pretty crazy! Why not make OneDrive work the same way that File Explorer works on any other Windows computer?

I uploaded all my work files not only as a way for me to be able to access them remotely for working on the road ... but as a secure backup. Only to learn one day while traveling that I couldn't find a file I needed by searching for a couple words that I knew are in the file name. I searched for the words like I would do on my PC and got results from every single file (hundreds of them) that had either of the words ANYWHERE in the file! How lame is that?

I hope MS can come up with a fix for this before I decide that I have to find another service that will provide that.

• bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this a current stage technical constrain for Microsoft? not think so.
        the only reason that search the whole cloud disc is just want to show how stupidly powerful of onedrive search??

• Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability of OneDrive to search a specific directory is a major FAIL. Looking into other options as we speak. Too bad.

I have been noticing the search does not even find files that I know are there. I can't figure this out but it is maddening when you have folders with 27000 items in them (music).

The more I learn about OneDrive the more frustrated I get when it doesn't work.

• Muhamma Haddad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really annoying that when searching in my onedrive for business it searches everywhere including all the sharepoint sites I'm member in and all files shared by others.

• Sylvia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous that this is still not added... Seems so essential and basic.

Is this for real? Microsoft are STILL thinking about this? Its ridiculous that you can't search in a specific folder.

Serach options are esseniall reqquired. Whether only name or part of it to be searched or Contents to be searched.

Seraching files is creation it very inconvenient as by default it is searching the File contents too.

Your urgent action on this is required to make it more effective

• seet yong keat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can i at least know what is the onedrive search API if we can custom build a plugin or tool that can add custom search filter conditions while waiting for MS to deliver? This is seriously impacting our team work and have no intention to go back to shared folders. This is making those advocating onedrive in our company look bad in front of our fellow colleagues whom are critics to adoption of MS stack.

• Mike Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is driving me crazy. More and more of my files moving into the cloud, and yet the simplest tasks require moving them back to my local computer! In my work environment these bread and butter issues are precisely what may drive us to another enterprise cloud storage vendor.

• Vovan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May be we could crowdfund this feature, if MS do not have resources to implement it in TWO years?

• ATB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option for search/Work around: CTRL+F in your browser window, then type keyword you're looking for.

Obviously very limiting but better than what Microsoft is currently offering. Only works if you have a bunch of files in the folder, won't search folders within folders. This is only a keyword search of viewing file/folder names only.

• GetThisSolved! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem has still not been solved ha? As a business this is a MUST. Honestly, this is not the only mistake that Microsoft makes that is absolutely dumb and silly and makes me wonder what incompetent people are working in their company.

The funny thing is, I am really trying to make myself like Microsoft. Another dumb thing with OneDrive is that, due to the difference version for business as personal, you can not upload files (such as pictures) from your Android phone directly into a file that has been shared to you. This forced me to move the entire file into the 'site'.

Online Microsoft promotes how great the search function is in Sharepoint (where sites are located), but as soon as you click the site you are redirected to the OneDrive application.

Seriously, for a billion worth company they do worse than most amateur developers that sit at home and write actually useful applications!

So, thinking about it is appearently all MS people can, or they put Mr. D. Pearce in the wrong position as he probably can't communicate within his company!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base