OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

OneDrive Sharing & Collaboration

Welcome to the OneDrive UserVoice. This is your place to suggest the features you’d like to see us add to OneDrive. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy https://onedrive.uservoice.com/tos, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

For support or issues with your account please submit your issue directly within the product.

While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 500 votes. Thanks for joining our community and helping improve OneDrive.

1. Allow shared folders to be stored within sub folders

The new feature that allows shared folders to be synced on the desktop is awesome.
    however, shared folders are added to the root of the OneDrive folder and cannot be nested into the file structure. That is an issue : the root folder will soon be full of random shared folder. Allow us to store them where they belong ! Think of project-related stuff, pictures that you want to store in your "summer 2015" folder,...
    Google Drive implementation is fine : you get an overview of all shared folders on the website ("shared with me" tab) and you can nest…

4,603 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    332 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking at two related pieces of this:
    1) For OneDrive for Business, enable shared folders to be added to the root of the OneDrive folder at all (like in OneDrive Personal).
    2) For OneDrive across business and personal, enable shared folders to be placed into subfolders.

We appreciate your patience; this is significant engineering work given the architecture of the products and our diverse customer base, spanning individuals to small businesses to multi-national enterprises to government agencies. We aim to address this while maintaining our industry-leading security, privacy, and compliance commitments.

Thank you for the continued feedback.

2. Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with…

2,215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    183 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. More secure file sharing for OneDrive Personal

Today a shared folder or document ist just protected by the link to it. If someone captures the email containing the link, then he has access to all the shared files.
    To share more confidential files I would like to share with a specific microsoft account. Then the files are at least as secure as the microsoft account of the person i shared the files with.

Marketing consideration:
    Why to pay for office 365 home for 5 family members when I can't share the 1 TB of OneDrive space securely with them?

1,516 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    76 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Expiration date on files and folders

Sometimes you want to share some files or photos temporary with someone so that he/she can download. If you can select in the menu a date until when the folder is accessible the process is automated. I do not need to go back to the folder and remove the access rights manually. Also it makes sure that I do not forget to remove the access rights.

587 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sharing files/folders to a Group does not show up in users "Shared with me" folder.

When sharing a file or folder to an Office 365 Group, the users do not receive an invitation email and they can only access the shared files/folders via a URL link. These shares do not show up under their "Shared with Me" folder. This really defeats the purpose of sharing with a group. The idea is to make sharing with large numbers of users easier. Set up a group, then share with them. Please fix this.

572 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow users to subscribe to notifications on a shared folder

OneDrive should allow users to subscribe to a shared folder and receive notifications when new content is added to that shared folder.

This way you can share a folder once and keep adding content to it.

486 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    in the plans  ·  Omar Shahine responded

Def important feature for our service. This one is behind making shared folders sync, but on the roadmap for sure.

7. Allow others to upload & create files in shared folders without needing a Microsoft Account

Not everyone uses Microsoft stuff. In order for OneDrive to truely be a place for collaboration, people without Microsoft accounts need to be able to access, edit and upload files to the folders that are shared.

There is already a setting to not require a Microsoft account for viewing or editing. This should be extended to creating and uploading. Especially when the collaboration project requires large files.

479 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow the user to set/select the languages for a sharing notification email when sending to the recipient by the setting.

Currently, I am aware of the behavior that the sharing notification is sent to the user automatically in the language of recipient's settings. I hope the language of the sharing notification email can be selected freely by the user who shared documents or folders.

365 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. shared folders show up in Photos app

I love the new feature (released in July 2015 I think) where folders that are shared with me can be added to my OneDrive.
    However, I'm dismayed to learn that any photos in those shared folders do not show up in either:
    a) The Photos experience at onedrive.com
    b) In the new Windows 10 photos app.

If I'm adding a shared folder to my OneDrive then I consider that folder to be part of my OneDrive just like all the other photos so i'd expect photos to show up in the Photos experiences. please could you change the Photos experience…

339 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Co-authored albums

The new albums feature is great. But I can share albums only as read only.

I would like a way to create a "Editable" album, where people I share the album with can add photos.

261 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a notification possibility for download links

I'm using OneDrive a lot for giving customers a download link for making files available
    I'm able to configure an expiration date but it would be great to have a notification by email
    when the file is downloaded so I can remove it.

204 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Consistent sharing behavior for Office file types and custom file types

Make a sharing behavior the same for both Office files types and custom files types.

Current behavior:
    File Handlers 2.0 allow to register custom files types (that can be configured to open by custom web applications) for Office365 tenant.
    When you share this custom file type, a person who receives sharing link will download the file when after clicking on the link. Instead of downloading, the file should have been opened in a custom web application that the file is configured to open.

For instance, for Office file types, when a person clicks on a shared Office file - it…

189 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Notify User when item reshared inside the organization

There's this Set-SPOTenant powershell Parameter NotifyOwnersWhenItemsReshared, but the User only gets notified when a document is shared with a user outside the organization. A Microsoft Support call also confirmed this to be working as designed". Please make it also possible to be notified when a document is shared internally, so the owner of the document always has a overview who has Access to a file without having to look it up by himself.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shared Family folder

I really miss a common Family folder from O365 Home, where we could put all contents, warranty papers, service contracts, invoices, photos etc, that we would like to share with all (and only) family members, without going through the standard share process every time or using a public link. I wouldn't mind if this would cost in reducing the private storage space.

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Office apps Word, Excel slow saving when File Collaboration setting is ON in OneDrive

Office apps Word and Excel are very slow the first time you save a document when the File Collaboration setting is ON in OneDrive. This is because Office saves the file to the cloud even if the file has not yet been shared. A better method would be to only save the file to the cloud first if the file has been shared, otherwise save the file to the local OneDrive folder and allow OneDrive to sync the file to the cloud.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Syncing of Files Shared with Me

I would really like the ability to sync the files that people share with me to Windows Explorer like I can sync the documents that I share with others.

It would make accessing them much quicker and I honestly don't understand why it isn't already a feature.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sync App for Linux

It would be awesome to have a native OneDrive sync for supported Linux distros.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Share OneDrive files with anonymous links

Hi

It has been suggested that I put this feature request here (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onedrivefb-mso_other-mso_o365b/share-onedrive-files-with-anonymous-links/79927f8c-3fae-4f85-a148-aec5de4122bc?tm=1534884711990)

I have not been able to find a solution to anonymously share files we store on our company's OneDrive with the rest of the world.

I find it very problematic that the generated links always contain a reference to the user who is sharing the file.

This is problematic as, if we know who we share the file with in first instance, we haven't got the slightest clue who the file might be shared with further on...

I would expect a similar behavior as on…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add default sharing option - People with existing access

Currently we can not set a default sharing option to be People with exisiting access. Please enable this (sharepoint/onedrive).

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Implement the feature to enable next sync client to share with external users.

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):次世代同期クライアントでの外部ユーザーとの同期機能について

Implement the feature to enable next sync client to share with external users.
    -------
    ■Description_JP (内容):次世代同期クライアントでの外部ユーザーとの同期機能について、実装を希望。 

I hope that OneDrive for Business's feature will enable the next generation sync client to synchronize with external users.
    -----

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

OneDrive Sharing & Collaboration