OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,472 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

124 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Georgiy Frolov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important issue because OneDrive business is frequently sharing files with other OneDrive users who have Personal subscription but they can't access files that are supposed to be essentially one file storage system.
        That means that people have to open each invitation link manually as opposed to just adding it to their OneDrive account.
        This is a critical issue that needs to be addressed very soon.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please fix this ASAP. Its quite unnecessary to have two onedrive cloud-shape icons on my desktop - 1 for business, and the other as a personal microsoft account just to get client's documents. It should be consolidated into one.

• Rich Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been frustrated by this annoyance for it must be 5-8 years now maybe longer. Please Microsoft stop 'Thinking About Ut' and start fixing it. I just want one account be it personal or work that I can use where I want without mix up or confusion.

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for considering this - it should also be something that an organization can control as staff leaves the company so their information is protected. Hopefully this will be resolved in the near future

• superman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow.... Gord Barentsen.. i cant believe we're in the same shoes.. wasting my time a couple of hours.. trying to link my personal 1drv to the biz 1drv. just to finally found my self here. wtf ms... Dropbox is so much simpler than this.

• Dave McKenzie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem alone is enough to prevent some potential customers from signing up for Office 365. There are many early adopters of Dropbox who are very reluctant to switch to what they see as an inferior file syncing solution precisely because of this issue.

• Markus Aigner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree with some other comments here:
        If Onedrive Business is shared, a personal Onedrive client needs to be able to fully integrate this and sync with the desktop-app. Only accessing via browser is not enough. In Dropbox this works out of the box with any account, keeps me from switching.

• Aline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My university account is expiring and I got a personal account, but with a different email address. Does this mean I cannot transfer the files from one account to the other?

• Gord Barentsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spent an hour experimenting with Home and Business Premium only to finally Google the issue and arrive here. THANKS, Microsoft - once again you've demonstrated your inability to keep up with the times.

As for possible "security holes" (OP below)...this can be solved easily on a policy level without having to limit the OneDrive architecture.

GET WITH IT, MICROSOFT k thx

• Jeremy Koch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this also and more importantly needs to work the other way! the business user needs to be able to share with a personal user and the personal user needs to be able to sync the folder with the sync client.
        please hurry MS!

• Diego Aguilar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have personnel in my company who don't use a company email account and constantly need to be sharing files with them. I have all my company files on my O365 Drive, but having to manually download and then upload these shared files to my account is simply not working. We need this ASAP.

• Laurent Duchastel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A junction point between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive Business can easily solve the problem.

Open a command prompt with admin privileges, then type mklink /j [Source] [Target]

such as

mklink /j "c:\Users\John\OneDrive\Foldertoshare" "C:\Users\John\OneDrive - MyBusiness\Foldertoshare".

Files with be in both places at the same time, real source being on OneDrive Business.

Then share the junction folder which is in OneDrive Personal as usual. This share can be in turn added to OneDrive personnel of recipient and be synced on local drive.

Every change to any files will be reflected, whatever from where or by whom will be taken into account.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If one drive is to compete with Google drive and Drop Box this feature is a deal breaker.

As a MS partner I'm often faced with this question and its embarrassing to have to say "no, Business and Personal cant share" - makes it a difficult sell.

• Mark Moran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really is pathetic. The lack of a solution that is. I have to start all over again with my set up now that I've discovered this limitation.

• Craig Lambie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@douglas-pearce almost 2 years of thinking - what has MS come up with?
        I would really like to start using OneDrive instead of Dropbox, but these issues cause me to stay with Dropbox even though it is starting to not work as well - it still works a lot better than OneDrive.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Douglas Pearce svarede · 30. november 2016:
        Thanks for the suggestion. We agree and this is something we’re looking at."

- You are working too slow to keep up with anything in this world; Sad to see Microsoft loosing.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base