OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,937 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

156 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • FM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I planned on switching from Dropbox, so I signed up for Onedrive personal and just found out I cannot add my shared personal files to my business account at my office....This is nuts. Promote sharing, but then discriminate based on account type....What? Why? PLEASE FIX or OFFER WORKAROUND for the time being. Good thing I kept my Dropbox account open.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. Our company finally adopted onedrive and then I find out that it makes my life more difficult due to this ridiculous limitation. This is a pretty big miss.

• Crystal Gruetzmacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me also add that when I opened the link to a folder shared with me by a client using Personal One Drive, clicked the Save to My OneDrive link, and signed in with my business account credentials, the ONLY error message I got was that my account didn't exist. When I searched that (I know I typed it in right because I use AHK scripts and LastPass for credentials) all I got was some garbage about making sure I have the right email address. Even a note saying that this box is for personal account credentials only would have clued me in and saved me so much time.

• Crystal Gruetzmacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A significant amount of engineering work? So in other words, it wasn't considered that regular people who pay for your productivity software/suite might have to share files with business people, like their accountants, laywers, etc so business people need to use their personal OneDrive space for business documents and pay for both so that they don't run out of room? I run into issues a lot where my business acct is the wrong type for this service or that, so I want to forego my business subscription, but then I have to look unprofessional to my clients, and pay more for an fewer features on a Home Edition of O365? Why????

• Leon Masters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we have an update on this?

Integration and collaboration between enterprise and personal profiles are essential for many businesses.

A couple of examples are.

* Employees sharing resumes with employers

* Organisations receiving documents from freelancers and subcontractors and the opposite.

Some organisations are using Google docs, drop box, Hightail etc to fill the void of OneDrives incompletion.

If you want OneDrive to be the best of breed, you need to ensure that it can cater for things like this.

Granted there are legal and security considerations around sharing files and folders between personal and enterprise but no more than those associated with email.

Hope to hear some movement in this space in the near future.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad to discover this has not been implemented. All I need to do is have a shared folder sync between my personal OneDrive, and my Work's business account. I work in development and a lot of my personal files are used at work. Assets, frameworks, scripts, etc. The fact that seamingly a unified product (OneDrive) is apparently siloed into separate operations seams a little misguided. How can it be a cloud platform if an entire branch of customers (personal) cannot share media between the other branch (business)? How was this not determined from the beginning? Why was OneDrive not built as one unified codebase to support linkage between all customer types? Google managed this effectively with Google Drive, yet Microsoft cannot plan for something like this from the begining? My entire organization moved to Office 365 recently and we just discovered such a glaring product shortcoming.

I will be following this for updates but as the Program Manager indicated it sounds like this is very far off from deployment, if a solution is even feasible. Good luck to to the SWE for fixing this mess.

• Immanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this...

managing shared content via links but not being able browser all shared content is a standard feature in cloud storage. I can appreciate the technical engineering work that makes this difficult, but having a paid solution that doesn't do this well makes it difficult to collaborate outside the organization.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft, I have just run into this ugly issue once again. I have customer beating me up because they just cannot believe the cannot share and sync a premium Business One Drive folder with a registered Guest and have that folder "Syncing" their desktop.

From the millions spend on developing a gob smacking array of features many will never benefit from you would think this simple thing that so many are needing so badly would have been well and truly addressed by now.

Microsoft can you PLEASE PLEASE enable "syncing" from a OD Business Shared folder to a guest account.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very inconvenient you can’t share folders between business and Personal accounts! The issue is already mentioned in 2016, it is about time to fix this problem isn’t it?

• Eric Karlsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally I got my boss to get Office365 to everyone at our company and then you found out that you cant share OneDrive to external users that have Personal accounts... We have alot of ppl outside of our organisation that we need to share with so they can sync the folder with their Personal account and now we cant.. So we have to use Dropbox externally and OneDrive internally and it is horrendous!

One of the bigges companies in the world should have the resources to fix this...

THis is ridiculous After buying your business subscription and struggling for 2 days, I get to figure out that you cannot collaborate with the personal Onedrive users.
    @Microsoft, you desperately need to start designing products for your end users not your tech employees. I am surprised why you guys cant understand the virtues of simplicity. Why do you insist on complicating the most simplest stuff???
    Your consumers don't want the most sophisticated , complicated tech stuff - They just need something that works.
    You wasted my Time!!!!

I Need this feature also very often. I have a Business account and must share Project with my customer. The most of my customer only have OneDrive personal.
    If this is not work i must Change to another Systems, Maybe GoogleDrive

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base