OneDrive

Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve sharing and collaboration in OneDrive across all experiences??

Sharing between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business

One should be able to share a file from a OneDrive Personal Account to a OneDrive for Business Account.

Right now, the shared file doesn't appear in the receivers Business Account, but only in the Personal Account. But that is useless for people using Business primarily.

Example:

A private person owns a OneDrive Personal Account. He/She wants to share project files to a company, which will then work with these files. Sadly the files don't appear in the OneDrive for Business Account of the employee of the company, but they appear in the employees personal Account and mix up with his family pictures, music, whatever. If the company doesnt allow their employees to use their personal accounts when they are on the job, the employee wont be able to do the project and the company would have to reject the customer.

1,791 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
improver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

146 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paolo M IT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all! bring back syncing OD business and OD personal. The same for one note too.

• Immanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this...

managing shared content via links but not being able browser all shared content is a standard feature in cloud storage. I can appreciate the technical engineering work that makes this difficult, but having a paid solution that doesn't do this well makes it difficult to collaborate outside the organization.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft, I have just run into this ugly issue once again. I have customer beating me up because they just cannot believe the cannot share and sync a premium Business One Drive folder with a registered Guest and have that folder "Syncing" their desktop.

From the millions spend on developing a gob smacking array of features many will never benefit from you would think this simple thing that so many are needing so badly would have been well and truly addressed by now.

Microsoft can you PLEASE PLEASE enable "syncing" from a OD Business Shared folder to a guest account.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very inconvenient you can’t share folders between business and Personal accounts! The issue is already mentioned in 2016, it is about time to fix this problem isn’t it?

Hi there, this is already here since 2016. Any indication on the timelines yet? Thanks!

• Eric Karlsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally I got my boss to get Office365 to everyone at our company and then you found out that you cant share OneDrive to external users that have Personal accounts... We have alot of ppl outside of our organisation that we need to share with so they can sync the folder with their Personal account and now we cant.. So we have to use Dropbox externally and OneDrive internally and it is horrendous!

One of the bigges companies in the world should have the resources to fix this...

THis is ridiculous After buying your business subscription and struggling for 2 days, I get to figure out that you cannot collaborate with the personal Onedrive users.
    @Microsoft, you desperately need to start designing products for your end users not your tech employees. I am surprised why you guys cant understand the virtues of simplicity. Why do you insist on complicating the most simplest stuff???
    Your consumers don't want the most sophisticated , complicated tech stuff - They just need something that works.
    You wasted my Time!!!!

I Need this feature also very often. I have a Business account and must share Project with my customer. The most of my customer only have OneDrive personal.
    If this is not work i must Change to another Systems, Maybe GoogleDrive

• Robin Leysen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like OneDrive as a product, a lot. I need to be able to share files with people that don't have a business OneDrive. e.g. I share product photo's of products I sell online, other people use these to update the product listings in the shop. Or I use technical documentation, analysis documents and user stories with clients, who might have a personal OneDrive, but not a Business account.

Basically, I'm force to use a personal account myself to copy my own work to that personal account in order to share with clients.

Some want to use Google Drive, Box, Dropbox or other for this reason, which I'd rather not do.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this even a problem? It seems like this would be a no-brainer idea for sharing files with customers/clients. OneDrive should change to "business" if you sign in with a "business" account, and "personal" when signing in with a "personal" account. The program itself should not change, only branding. There should be no separation from personal to business databases; similar to how Google does it. The application to consumers looks the exact same as the business-class version. This obviously has caused confusion with your customers (citing comments on this forum) in the idea that both programs should operate and work together the same way, which OneDrive fails to do. I find that a lot of Microsoft's services would be much better if they would simply place themselves in the consumer's shoes and understand the consumer's perspective on how they operate their programs. If Microsoft is so apparently big on diversity, how is it that they are so bad at understanding the consumer given their *diverse knowledge from many cultural backgrounds and experiences*? Thanks for listening.

Microsoft lets hear an update on this! This makes things very difficult for small business trying to share files.

• Tommy Wakefield-Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolute ********! Your marketing team seams to have forgotten what a customer centric business model is. It is the same software, there is no need for retail and business segmentation I have Office 365 for business and now have to go to Google Drive or Dropbox for file sharing capabilities with a client, who is having to use his personal 365 onedrive account for file sharing.

• Hitesh Panchmatia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely essential - boundaries between work and personal are diminished in the global world - working from home, it is essential I can access my work files from my personal account without having to have my work OneDrive installed - my org can control what is shared with me and remove the share when I leave.

OMG . I just discovered this today after various failed attempts.

Dropbox and GDrive do it natively and very simply

How simple things get complicated with Microsoft ? I am strugling too with many Office 365 for business issues (like skype) because MS wants us to use Exchange which is not possible for us (security issue). I am decision maker for more than 2000 users on Office 365 and I am seriously thinking about droping MS for Gsuite

• DT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a shock and a waste of time trying every regular and private browser, clearing caches and cookies, removing history, etc.

Not user friendly at all and I have not choice to use another sharing service

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First I lost of lot of time trying to find why sharing doesn't work. Who would think that you need to run both versions!! I'll go back to using Dropbox at least this is clear, you pay for something and it works!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base